UKC

A single pair of trousers for winter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Graeme G 20 Oct 2014
The kids are now into skiing, as am I. And i probably need a new pair of winter walking trousers.

So the ultimate question, which i know gets asked a lot.....is there a pair of trousers which works well for winter hills, the occassional grade 2/3 climb and skiing?

Thinking of North Face Apex Mountian Pants but not sure if they'll be too warm for walking, particularly the first 500m from the car.
 StuDoig 20 Oct 2014
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

can't vouch for it personally, but several friends really rate Paramo breeks + warm base for exactly this type of duty. Takes any layering faff out of the day as they have them on car-car / bothy-bothy. Even better if you can find older models which still have the knee and seat pads in them.

Cheers,

Stuart
 robhorton 20 Oct 2014

On the skiing front, they look great for touring but for resort / lift based skiing I think I'd want something a bit warmer and with a salopette type top to stop snow going down them when you fall over.
 L.A. 20 Oct 2014

The answer to your problem and all for under £40 !! (Leg vents for that first 500m)
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountaineering-trousers-id_8010075.html
Graeme G 20 Oct 2014

Thanks. Not sure about the Simonds, possibly too warm for general winter walks - but for £40 there almost worth a punt.

In reply to L.A.:

thanks for sharing!
 DaveHK 20 Oct 2014

I use paramo sallys for all the things you describe. For lift accessed skiing I wear a pair of longjohns under them and find them plenty warm.
 ogreville 20 Oct 2014

I got a pair of Montane Terra Thermostretch and they are fantastic.

Warm in the freezing winds of a Scottish winter, waterproof enough that they protect you but they breath, and they also have 3/4 length zip sides so they are never too warm in the spring/autumn. I ll be getting another pair for this winter season. They are about £100 but they are a 'serves all purposes' pair.

I've climber in them and they have a good stretch. Never been skiing with them, but if you can actually stay upright on skis for more then 30 seconds, unlike me, I'm imagining they would be spot on.

The Simond trousers don't use a membrane, so they do pass air, and the lining isn't that warm. They are a bit 'full on' for walking, though.

Alternative Decathlon offerings are the Simond Alpinism Light

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-light-trousers-2014-id_8304123.html

or the Quechua Forclaz 900 warm

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-900-warm-trousers-id_8316082.html

Yes, I know I'm plugging Decathlon stuff, but on the basis of being satisfied with value, design & quality. I'm not alone...
 girlymonkey 20 Oct 2014
In reply to L.A.:

I wondered who would be the first to say it.
These are the best I have found. I have some fancy OR ones, and I go for these every time over anything else I own
 alasdair19 20 Oct 2014
In reply to Father Noel Furlong: decathalon troos

i wear them in the alps in summer from 1200m to 4600m or so. But i did get them in cool grey rather than johnny come lately black...

Realistically you have to be a good weather only sort of winter walker but cheap and cheerful overtrousers will solve that problem. A jacket that covers your bum will be handy for skiing.
 Timmd 20 Oct 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:
> Yes, I know I'm plugging Decathlon stuff, but on the basis of being satisfied with value, design & quality. I'm not alone...

Is it just me who finds Decathlon zips seem to fail sooner than in other clothing?

I've always had bad luck with their zips, I stopped buying things with zips from there.

It is clothing for conservation work use...
Post edited at 22:55
In reply to Timmd:

> Is it just me who finds Decathlon zips seem to fail sooner than in other clothing?

Not had a zip problem yet. But I've only had the mountaineering trousers since 2010.

> It is clothing for conservation work use...

I think there are plenty of users here who would consider that a bit harsh. A vertically-integrated product range will include cheap stuff suited to that application, but the higher-end products are pretty good. You'll find comments here comparing their products very favourably with the 'big brands'.
 Timmd 20 Oct 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:
Sorry, I ment that's what I've been using it for (blame lack of sleep for my not being clear).

I'm wondering if conservation work can be tough on gear.

£40 waterproof trousers and a jacket with a £79 RRP or thereabouts.
Post edited at 23:36
 Tom Last 20 Oct 2014

At the other end of the price spectrum from Decathlon, I just got some Haglofs trousers, I think they're called 'rugged trousers' or something.
Bought them for winter and they seem very bomber. More sensible cut than billowing Paramo pantaloons too, but feel like they might be similarly as hard wearing. Certainly proved reasonably waterproof and warm so far (wet walks in the Peak).
 BnB 21 Oct 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

The Haglofs Rugged are just that, but the waterproofing won't last sadly. However the cut is every comfortable and they will take huge amounts of abuse. I've swapped out of them now for general use because with all the Kevlar/Cordura and heavy fabric patches, they aren't very breathable for a softshell and I've swapped for a pair of Montane Sabretooth pants for energetic use. Will still take the Ruggeds down the ice wall though, and maybe anywhere else where clumsy cramponing could rip a lighter weave.
Graeme G 21 Oct 2014

Thanks all. Might need to do a bit more shopping around......although may end up just getting breeks for walking and rely on my fleece and hardshell for skiing and climbing.
 marsbar 22 Oct 2014

I have always found something suitable and cheap for skiing in tkmaxx. As long as you dont care too much about last years colours.

You're going to be making compromises somewhere if you want troos for skiing and climbing and winter hills as you 'll be wanting something for everything from hottish work (walking in good weather) to cold/wet work (winter climbing). Try the Haglofs Col?
Timarzi 22 Oct 2014

If you're doing it based on cost, I've got very cheap skiing stuff from Ebay: e.g. Quiksilver (probably, or similar) trousers for a squid.
 nathanheywood 22 Oct 2014

3 words - Alpine Guide Pants.

Look no further.
Patagonia gear is 'reassuringly expensive', perhaps, but 100% Bomb Proof. Plus there's a lot to be said for getting what you pay for. -15C and 20mph winds on the glacier runs? Not an issue, toasty, and none of the walking in bin liners feel of over-trousers when down low either.
I tend to wear normal Guides in the UK and Aplines in the, er, Alps. The only issue I have with the Alpines is that it's a teensy bit of a struggle to get them down over my favourite decidely old-school ski boots. Newer hired boots, no probs.
Graeme G 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Timarzi:

That's the thing i have pretty good Mountain Equipment fleece and hardshell for climbing which seems ok for skiing. It's far too warm for walking in - even the walk in to a climb in them is bloody hard work.
 Timmd 22 Oct 2014
In reply to marsbar:

> I have always found something suitable and cheap for skiing in tkmaxx. As long as you dont care too much about last years colours.

Yes, there's always load of winter/skiing gear in the TK MAXX in Sheffield.
 Denni 22 Oct 2014
Mammut Base Jump trousers. Used them for skiing, ice climbing, trad climbing, UK winter walking in all temps (sometimes with long johns underneath), summer alps, cycling in winter, dog sledding, snowshoeing, well you get the idea!

Mine are 9 years old and still going strong, well worth £100 odd quid.
Post edited at 21:47
Graeme G 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Denni:

Oooh...now we're talking. I'll definitely have a look at those.

Ta
 iksander 24 Oct 2014
Base Jumps are very good, but pretty lightweight warmth and water resistance. Also consider (or recent equivalents):

Patagonia Backcountry Guide or Mix Master
Mountain Equipment G2 or Mission
Marmot Scree
Haglofs Rugged
Rab Calibre
Arc teryx Gamma Guide or Gamma MX
Post edited at 10:06

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...