UKC

Nice alpine huts with winter rooms - December ski tours

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Looking to spend a couple of days touring in Switzerland in December; hopefully with a couple of nights in a remote hut to get away from it all.

Any suggestions?
 Aigen 21 Oct 2014
In reply to featuresforfeet:
I do not know of any in Swiss but from my time in Austria you have to contact the hut owners and ask if they have a winter room, plus you might even need a key. You might be the first there that season so it could be snowed in so bring a shovel.
Post edited at 14:36
 Doug 21 Oct 2014
In reply to Aigen:

I've stayed in several Austrian, Swiss, French & Spanish 'winter rooms (often the whole hut) & have always found them open, although, as you say, a shovel is often needed to clear the door. That said, always worth checking the hut will be open & most have websites or other contact details.

Are you looking for a large hut or somewhere small ? I once spent a night in the Schoenbiel where the entire hut was open but it seemed a bit creepy with only 2 of us, the following night in the Cabane de Col Brulée (small bivy hut) was more pleasant.
In reply to Doug:

Will be ski touring so shovel is part of the drill.

Ideally a small hut - will be 2-4 of us in the group,
 london_huddy 21 Oct 2014

The Albert Heim Hutte near Andermatt should be open intermittently. Winter rooms should be open at the Chelenalphütte, Hotel Steingletscher and Sustlihütte, all between Andermatt and Engelberg. I looked at this lot a couple of years ago for a tour (the Urner Haute Route).

There's always the Grassen bivy as well (near Engelberg) if you want to dig it out.
 xoran 16 Nov 2014
In reply to london_huddy:

I stayed in the Dix hut winter room last winter, it would be great for four, very definitely feels remote. Getting to it did involve ladders and crossing the glacier though. Also worth checking it would be open. Fairly useless information if it isn't!
 mattbell 17 Nov 2014

Can I hijack this post and ask for recommendations of huts in Chamonix for Jan. There are 6 of us plus guide. Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...