UKC

Stuck cam: Stanage - Goliaths Groove - Tips for stuck cams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyman666999 20 Oct 2014
Was pottering around on Goliath's Groove last Saturday and noticed a fairly shiny No 1 Dragon Cam stuck a couple of meters off the deck, had a play with it but it wouldn't come out. Went back and rapped in and spent 3 hours working on it today, could get my fingers on the trigger and stem just about by the end of the session which I think is an improvement. The cam lobes closer to the outside of the crack aren't overcooked but the ones deeper are overcammed and I can't get at them to get the cam to walk out.

Anyone got any tips, or alternatively if you fancy a challenge get it out and tell me how you did it ! Being beaten like this is killing me I don't think that I have broken any trigger wires although one is no longer attached to the trigger wire.

The Pylon King 20 Oct 2014
In reply to andyman666999:

Car Jack

No, hang on a minute..........
 The Pylon King 20 Oct 2014

That the great thing with this time of year what with all the Freshers. Go along the popular grit edges the monday after a sunny weekend and you can end up with a nice new rack.
 Michael Hood 20 Oct 2014
In reply to andyman666999: 3 hours with no result - I'm impressed by your dedication.
OP andyman666999 20 Oct 2014
In reply to Michael Hood:

I am dedicated if not talented, also feels nice to hopefully remove something that feels like a little flaw on an impressive line, not that I managed to. It felt at times though that it was on it's way and then it wouldn't budge. It's a little beaten up now but still usable for someone who has a better touch than myself.
 elsewhere 20 Oct 2014
Put a nut key flat against rock with tip of nut key under tip of cam lobe . Twist nut key to push cam tip so lobe rotates/compresses.

Repeat/alternate between lobes, you can apply greater force than with trigger wires and it works if trigger wires broken.

It was miraculous compared to pulling on the trigger wire the one time I needed to do this.
OP andyman666999 20 Oct 2014
In reply to elsewhere:

Thanks for the tip
 Cake 22 Oct 2014

I lost a friend 1.75 in the same place. I imagine I didn't extend it. Losing kit in this way is one good reason for learners not to buy the most expensive cams. I lost at least 2 in such a manner. Mind, these days I just lose gear through absentmindedness instead.

I still haven't led it clean.
 dr_botnik 22 Oct 2014

I tried getting that out too many months ago. I would have serious doubts about the slings now on the cam. There were two together and the other was easily freed by hooking a sling onto each of the trigger wires and pushing the thumb stop with a nutkey. i thought at the time that the other could be freed like that if you had a foot long nutkey....
OP andyman666999 22 Oct 2014
In reply to dr_botnik:

Hi,
Yeah I could get two wires on the trigger and push on the stem with my thumb/prodder but the lobes furthest into the crack are too jammed for the lobes to retract. Yeh the sling is probs beyond repair. I don't even want the booty really, it's just turned into a bit of a puzzle that I would like to solve.
 Blue Straggler 22 Oct 2014

There was a good thread about a stuck cam elsewhere, around 6-8 months ago. An "occasional regular" poster got it out and gave details of her methodology. If I could remember her name I might be able to dig up the thread. I believe the cam was sacrificed (a special "open ended" hacksaw might have been used on it!)
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Hi,
Thanks if you can that would be much appreciated.
 Mike-W-99 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

This one? The cams werent much use after we got them out though.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=588671

gdnknf 22 Oct 2014

I remember the couple who got that stuck in there. It was placed higher in the groove but slipped back and down when the guy fell on it. They spent quite a while trying to fish it out; that was about 2 years ago so it has been there for quite a while.

Good luck, sir.
In reply to gdnknf:

Oh dear that sounds fairly ominous, well I can only give it a go.
In reply to prog99:

Thanks, may try another tack but it may well be heading towards a hack saw job.
 EddInaBox 22 Oct 2014

A few more ideas in this thread:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=600583&v=1#x7907546
 Blue Straggler 22 Oct 2014
In reply to prog99:

Yes, thanks. Indeed I recall that it was a cam-destructive exercise, I thought I mentioned that in my earlier post. Thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...