UKC

home made wine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 21 Oct 2014
In my freezer I have: 90 pounds of damsons and maybe similar in blackberries and elderberries. Also got some wild plums and sloes. Gradually been buying wine making gear - 20% off in Wilkos. Two questions:

1. Any favourite recipes?
2. How important is it to keep a steady temperature (thinking of buying a heating mat to help fermentation)?
 ByEek 21 Oct 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

> 1. Any favourite recipes?

Not really. I have found that there is a reason you tend not to buy hedgerow wines in the supermarket. I would steer clear of damson wine, but one of my best ever wines was a 2 year old blackberry treat. As for recipes, have a look online or buy a book. I can't remember any off the top of my head. It is worth getting a specific gravity thingie so that you can ensure you get a reasonable alcoholic content.

> 2. How important is it to keep a steady temperature (thinking of buying a heating mat to help fermentation)?

I have never bothered and it doesn't seem to make that much difference. If the yeast goes a bit bonkers to start with you can calm things down by standing your demijohn in a sink of water for a bit.

The key to good homebrew is meticulous cleanliness so make sure you sterilize everything before you start.

Good luck!
 The Potato 21 Oct 2014
In reply to mick taylor:
Ive not had success with damsons nor blackberries, elderberry wine is nice but takes a few years to mature, at least 3 but the longer the better.

Elderberries contain a lot of tannin so you have to be careful not to ferment on the pulp too long, perhaps only a day then press the juice out.

Blackberry and elderberry might work together, but make a small batch to test it first. If you make a batch that is just ok, consider making it in to mulled wine for winter (peppercorns, sugar, cloves, cinnamon sticks, orange, juniper berries etc).
Youve got a lot of fruit there man!

If I recall my elderberry recipe for 1 demijohn is 3lb elderberries, 1100g sugar, water, 1 campden tablet, then 0.5tsp potassium sorbet to stabilise once finished. Ive tried various different yeasts but dont really have a preference, the all purpose red is probably as good as any.
Post edited at 15:08
In reply to ow arm:

The problem with the plums and damsons is that once the sugar has been fermented the remaining taste is very bitter, so you have to make quite a strong, sweet wine for it to be drinkable. Need a long maturation as well. Can be very nice in the end though so well worth it.

A mix of elderberries with blackberry and damson can make quite a nice 'port' like wine.

I wouldn't worry about a heat mat unless you are wanting (a) to brew in a garage/shed or (b) to have a standardised recipe so you get the exact same result every time. My wines all ferment fine at room temp - often too fast at the start so don't fill your demijohns to the neck until the frothing has settled a bit.
 jkarran 21 Oct 2014
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

I made plum wine (with green plums IIRC which may have been damsons). It was eyewateringly alcoholic... Who knew sugar was available in 2kg bags? I didn't before I tipped it all in! And strangely estery which I presume could have been a result of taking the champagne yeast right to the edge of its comfort zone or it could just be what that yeast does or it could be a residual flavour from the plums/cane sugar. Whatever, it's quite drinkable when cool with or without a little splash of water.

My blackberry wine is a year old now and I have yet to try it, maybe this evening I'll give it a try.

I take no real care with fermentation rates and temperatures (I brew ale too) except to choose a room/corner that's vaguely suitable. So long as not too much of it escapes (making the floor beery) it always turns out fine.

jk
mick taylor 21 Oct 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

Thanks all. I've lots to experiment with, and fully intend developing a taste for it!
mick taylor 21 Oct 2014
In reply to jkarran:

Sounds like green gauges (small green wild plums).
 Baron Weasel 21 Oct 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

Don't worry too much about fermentation temperature. Each strain of yeast will have a temp range you should try to remain within, the issue with being too cold is that you risk a long lag time after pitching yeast which leaves you vulnerable to infection and going too warm can lead to funky fermentation. I would not worry too much about either though, just steralise well and learn how to use a hydrometer.
In reply to mick taylor:

90 pounds of damsons sounds like penance to me.

BlackBerry wine is difficult to get wrong - but be aware, at the six-month stage (perfectly drinkable) it's slightly fizzy. But very fruity and light.

Elderberry can go a bit tannin-y, as mentioned, and I also find it helps to use a brown demi-john if you can find one.

Basic recipe for any fruit wine would be 3lb of fruit, 3lb of sugar, 8 pints of boiled, cooling water, the rind and juice of a couple of lemons and some yeast. That's all - no campden tablets, no preservatives. If you've done it clean, you shouldn't need to shut down the fermentation. 3-7 days in a big pot, agitating regularly, strain through boiled muslin into a demi-john and put in a dark place at room temperature for 3-5 months. Bottle. It doesn't age that well, so drink up after about six months.

KISS.

Martin
altirando 22 Oct 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

Got to be sloe gin - just prick the sloes with a fork and immerse in the gin, superb winter throat warmer. Shame our usual source of sloes has been already picked this year. I think this also works with damsons.
 marsbar 22 Oct 2014
In reply to altirando:

Damson vodka is good. Not tried gin.
 bleddynmawr 24 Oct 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

Don't be put off about the damsons.I've been making damsom wine for years. An earlier poster was right it is very bitter but only when young. after about 5 years!! it matures and turns into something more sherry like. and like you I have about 100lbs in the freezer!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...