UKC

Froome to miss Le Tour ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris the Tall 22 Oct 2014

The route for the 2015 TDF has just been announced and immediately Froome has said he may skip it

http://www.chris-froome.com/news/40-2015-tour-de-france

Not enough ITT-ing (just 14Km) and too many mountain finishes for him, so he's likely to go for the Giro instead

Here is the route

http://roadcyclinguk.com/racing/tour-de-france-2015-route-iconic-summit-fin...
Post edited at 12:05
Removed User 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

That's a stonking route by and large. Shame stage 10 doesn't go all the way to Pont d'Espagne but I guess there's nowhere for the spectators on the road up.
 ro8x 22 Oct 2014

A race for the Colombians I think! Also if Froome doesn't go to the tour, Konig is a good shout for a strong result if he continues to improve his climbing ability.
 Cuthbert 22 Oct 2014

How dull these people are who decide whether or not to compete based on their chances of winning. Some riders are about as inspiring as F1 drivers.
 TimB 22 Oct 2014

Designed for the young French climbers, which means that Quintana is the nailed-on favourite.

I think that Froome will do the Tour. Who else are Sky going to send as leader? König/Porte/Roche ...

... Wiggins !!??
 Kimono 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Cuthbert:

> How dull these people are who decide whether or not to compete based on their chances of winning. Some riders are about as inspiring as F1 drivers.

Do you think they are just there for the fun?? Of course they wanna win and if they have a choice between races that suit them and races that don't, which do you think they will choose?
 Mike Stretford 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Cuthbert:

> How dull these people are who decide whether or not to compete based on their chances of winning. Some riders are about as inspiring as F1 drivers.

I understand you can't realistically compete in all 3 grand tours so it makes sense to choose your best chances. It would be good if the profile of the other races was higher.
 Mike Highbury 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> I understand you can't realistically compete in all 3 grand tours so it makes sense to choose your best chances. It would be good if the profile of the other races was higher.

Absolutely. The TdeF always had the highest profile or for as long as I have been following cycling, as least. But Italy and Spain were once regarded as having equal merit even if they were not as well known. One year, 1973, Merckx rode Italy and Spain because his Italian sponsor wanted him in the Giro, which mattered more to the home crowds and his customers.
In reply to TimB:

> I think that Froome will do the Tour. Who else are Sky going to send as leader? König/Porte/Roche ...

> ... Wiggins !!??

I think we can rule out the latter, but Konig or Henao would be most likely, with Porte and Roche supporting Froome at the Giro.

I think it will be great if we see Froome, Nibbles and Bertie at next years Giro - apart from the fact that we won't see it on normal TV. Apart from anything else it would be good for sport if it's not all about the tour. If Froome makes the Giro his main goal he can then consider riding the tour or the vuelta depending upon his fitness. Plus his last appearance at the Giro was a somewhat dubious DQ so it would be good to see him make amends
 yer maw 22 Oct 2014

If you consider yourself a top rider then you'll go for it as there are so many variables that dictate who eventually wins. I can't imagine any past great champion who'd choose not to do the tour because it doesn't suit them 100%.
Froome needs to go for it and adapt because to me it looks a great tdf and my only crit is the small individual tt, but sky would do well in the team tt so ups and downs.

The tdf is THE one and always has been, and that's not belittling the giro or vuelta.
 ablackett 22 Oct 2014

Yes it does, which stage is that on?
In reply to ablackett:

Seems to be near the finish on stage 18 (Thursday)
In reply to Cuthbert:

Easy to say when's it not your career in question I guess.

I'm sure this has been quoted elsewhere, but this is Froome's take on it: http://www.chris-froome.com/news/40-2015-tour-de-france

Personally, I think it'd be good to see him target the Giro; there's a big emphasis on the Tour over here when there is much more to cycling. If he aimed for the double (with the Veulta as well) then that would just be great.
andymac 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Byronius Maximus:

Can't see him not doing Le Tour
 Bob Hughes 22 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

he could be bluffing to keep Bertie guessing. no sense in showing your hand too early
 balmybaldwin 22 Oct 2014

Not sure about the reintroduction of time bonuses....what do others think?

Mike Highbury 22 Oct 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Not sure about the reintroduction of time bonuses....what do others think?

Ah, bonifications
 niallk 22 Oct 2014
In reply to ablackett:

Roads to ride article from Inner Ring on that one here:

http://inrng.com/2014/10/roads-to-ride-lacets-montvernier/#comments

Only in the first week though, so the aim is to get as many riders into yellow as possible, rather than affect the final GC. However the Mur de Huy finish on stage 4 should bring the GC riders out to play (which is good) and I'm not convinced the sprinters will have chance to recoup their losses from the opening TT by then.

I don't like the inconsistency - it should be throughout the race or not at all. Likewise Green Jersey points should be the same for each stage - it should be a prize for the most consistent finisher rather than the best sprinter. The latter gets his reward in stage wins. Why should the comp be skewed towards Kittel or Cav and away from Sagan ? Apart from the fact that it would keep him away from the podium girls!
 Henry Iddon 29 Oct 2014

According to my very senior source Froome will definitely ride the tour.
xyz 30 Oct 2014

I like the time bonuses. I think it certainly added a bit of spice in this years Vuelta!

FWIW I think Froome should skip the TdF as he would then have a pretty good chance to win both the Giro and Vuelta. Plus a Froome-Bertie-Nibali showdown at the Giro would be good to see.

Given the Tdf Parcours next year I would bet money on Quintana for GC.

Maybe he didn't like the design of the jersey

http://www.lefigaro.fr/medias/2014/10/22/PHOd3aed64e-551d-11e4-ac71-58104ac...

(It may take you a minute to see it, but once you do, it's obvious!)
 LastBoyScout 31 Oct 2014

snigger!
 Hat Dude 31 Oct 2014

> Maybe he didn't like the design of the jersey

Le Coq Sportif indeed!

I wonder if Froome's U-turn http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/30288604 has anything to do with the possibility that Nibbles might not be there http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/uci-refuse-astana-worldtour...

If the UCI does refuse astana a licence then a) they can still get wildcards and b) they'll go to CAS. But even so ASO might do what they did in 2008 and not invite Astana and the reigning champ to the tour.
 GrahamD 04 Dec 2014

More likely team orders based on commercial realities, isn't it ?
In reply to GrahamD:

Well yes there is that, plus the obvious fact that he is a very good climber and "merely" needs to adjust his training. But I still say there is some logic to him doing the Giro next year and going for a first win at that that rather than a 2nd win (or more likely 2nd 2nd) at the tour.
 GrahamD 05 Dec 2014

From his perspective maybe, but what sort of team would Sky be able to field for Le Tour without him ?
 The New NickB 05 Dec 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

A pretty good one, especially with the new signings.

Can't expect Sky to dominate the Tour like 2012 and 2013 every year.
 GrahamD 05 Dec 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Who do you reckon is their best podium bet for the tour behind Froome ? I'm not convinced they really have one. From a commercial point of view I'd be very surprised if they thought they didn't need to put in their strongest team.
In reply to GrahamD:

Konig probably, already had a top 10, without such a strong team around him.
 andy 05 Dec 2014
In reply to GrahamD: I saw Porte described as "like Froome, but a bit shitter".

Not him then.

GrahamD 05 Dec 2014

Realistically though, do you think they could put up a team for Le Tour with Konig as team leader (who ? I hear the general public ask ...)
In reply to GrahamD:

Well Froome is riding, but Konig would be a strong leader.

I guess what you are saying is that for non-cycling fans, the Tour is the only bike race and for Sky marketing reasons, the leader needs to win, but also be British.

I'm not sure exactly what market Sky are targeting.
 GrahamD 05 Dec 2014

Pretty much it. Sky need to get best exposure for their investment in cycling and - like or loathe it - Le Tour is still the only race that matters for the majority. A high profile British contender in Le Tour must tick all the boxes as far as they are concerned.

I suspect that trumps any desire on the part of the team to best cover all their targeted races.
 Marek 05 Dec 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

As an aside it would be interesting to see how well a top tier team working for a 2nd tier leader would fare against an isolated top tier leader with a poor team. Not that I'm suggesting Sky, Konig or anyone else specific fits those descriptions.
 GrahamD 05 Dec 2014
In reply to Marek:

Well it will be interesting to see what sort of team top tier Nibbali has this year....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...