UKC

Wilko Johnson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andyathome 22 Oct 2014
Hell! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29727632

I guess he'll have to do an 'un-farewell tour' now.

In reality I bet he just glared at the tumour and it did a runner. I would.....
 toad 22 Oct 2014
In reply to andyathome:

He beheaded it....

I'm really chuffed about this. Saw him a couple of times before his diagnosis and he always seemed like a really nice guy. Worth finding Oil City Confidential for the proper Dr Feelgood experience.
andyathome 22 Oct 2014
In reply to toad:

I bet he could do a really emotional version of 'Down at the Doctor's' now!
 The Pylon King 22 Oct 2014
In reply to andyathome:

proper news.
 Bob 22 Oct 2014
In reply to andyathome:

I saw the story earlier, just brilliant. What you might call a "Feelgood" story ...
 dek 22 Oct 2014
In reply to toad:

> He beheaded it....

> Worth finding Oil City Confidential for the proper Dr Feelgood experience.
Ditto that.....brilliant news!!
Removed User 22 Oct 2014
In reply to andyathome:

Question is what to do with the ticket stub from his farewell tour in Holmfirth. It's still on my notice board...........

BTW, great gig, but no oncore. Understanda in the circumstances.

Removed User 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> Question is what to do with the ticket stub from his farewell tour in Holmfirth. It's still on my notice board...........

What to do?!! Keep it and frame it!

OP: Brilliant news, living legend and seems like a great bloke.

Chop technique explained in some style:
youtube.com/watch?v=wMlhWvIh7U4&
"Marvellous innit"
 Dave Garnett 23 Oct 2014
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to andyathome)
>
> He beheaded it....
>

Yes, I've finished all the currently available books and he's still in it so far. Indeed he's in it quite a lot if they stick to the original plot.

I love the guitar lesson videos. If I practise every day for the next ten years I kid myself I might manage the main riff from She Does it Right. Maybe. Though not the all the extra twiddly bits and solos.
 Dave Garnett 23 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger)
> "Marvellous innit"

"Like riding a bike. Easy to do but difficult to describe."

And not so easy to do either.
 toad 23 Oct 2014
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Pedals? I'm a guitarist not a cyclist!
 Bob Moulton 23 Oct 2014
In reply to andyathome:

Great news! I saw him a couple of times in the Brighton area before his diagnosis (also years ago when he was with Ian Drury, but never sadly with Dr Feelgood) and was disappointed that his farewell tour didn't come down this way. I also heard him on Radio 2 talking to Paul Jones, very erudite and philosophical about his then imminent death.
 tony 23 Oct 2014
In reply to andyathome:

Terrific news! I couldn't really believe it when I first read it, but when you read what his operation entailed - most of his digestive system seems to have been removed - it starts to make a bit more sense.
 Dave Garnett 23 Oct 2014
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to andyathome)
>
> He beheaded it....
>

It only now occurs to me that, given how many other details of the books they've changed, an axe would have been so much more appropriate!
 Paul Evans 23 Oct 2014
In reply to andyathome:

Excellent news...and given the mention of Wilko playing with the Blockheads, it seems appropriate to post -
youtube.com/watch?v=lvCex3XSPvA&

Paul
 Chris the Tall 23 Oct 2014
In reply to andyathome:

This is excellent news. Saw him at the Greystones in Sheffield just after the initial diagnosis - great gig. Was up there last Saturday and it made me think it had all gone a bit quiet since the op and that might indicate bad news. As said above, Oil City Confidential is a great film
 Tobes 23 Oct 2014
In reply to andyathome:
That's great news! And another +1 for the Julian Temple film about the Feelgoods. Even if people aren't into the music the quality of the film and Wilko make it very watchable.

sbc_10 23 Oct 2014
In reply to andyathome:

Yes, most excellent to hear the news.
I hope he can still rock out the riffs and keep up that manic energy on stage.

He does it right!!.
 ripper 24 Oct 2014
In reply to andyathome:

excellent news - and I think I heard somewhere just the other day that there's another Daltrey collaboration in the offing.
 3leggeddog 24 Oct 2014
In reply to andyathome:

Anyone else thinking cynical publicity stunt or is it just me?

Either way, well done Wilko, you fought cancer or you had the balls to pull a massive scam.
Removed User 24 Oct 2014
In reply to 3leggeddog:

This was a nice thread until you gave it a whiff of youtube.

in answer to your initial question, no, and almost certainly yes.
andyathome 24 Oct 2014
In reply to 3leggeddog:

> Anyone else thinking cynical publicity stunt or is it just me?

> Either way, well done Wilko, you fought cancer or you had the balls to pull a massive scam.

Wow. You mean Wilko has been faking his cancer diagnosis? That's such serious stuff! I'd expect a prison sentence at least.

Unless you are spouting crap. Maybe it IS just you?
 deepsoup 24 Oct 2014
In reply to 3leggeddog:

It's just you.
 3leggeddog 24 Oct 2014
In reply to andyathome:

This is the entertainment industry here, nothing is beyond belief.

Washed out hasbeen, very talented and respected but never a great commercial success has a brainwave to boost his pension fund.

Maybe the stuff of comic books and movies but real life is often far more bizarre.

Plenty fallen greats to evidence this. Just because your chosen hero lies outside of the mainstream, it does not guarantee infallibility.

ripper 24 Oct 2014
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Pretty sure it's still just you...
Knitted Simian 24 Oct 2014
In reply to 3leggeddog:

You make a well constructed argument. It is based upon the overwhelming evidence you provided that Wilko Johnson is a desperate glory seeking 70's has been who is desperate, in that way fat women who fake cancer to go to Disneyland way, to suck in the love and bask in the limelight.

or

Perhaps you are an asshat. When you lay in bed tonight you might want to reflect on your post and think, the world loves Wilko, and thinks you are an asshat. .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...