UKC

Kalymnos climbing app

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 panyan 23 Oct 2014
There's a new Kalymnos climbing guidebook app out published by the Send - looks amazing. All the new updates and profits all go to the bolt fund.
 Andy Cairns 23 Oct 2014
Yes, we were using it last week and it was really good. Very up to date, and with photos of lots of crags in the guidebook supplement which haven't previously had them, such as Secret Garden and Profitis Andreas. We were carrying a 7" tablet to the crags (fine for single pitch sport) and it was very useable. It was also OK on a phone size screen.

Steve & Sue at the Glaros have put a large amount of work into it as well, and hopefully the bolt fund will benefit a lot. I'd say it's great value at £5.99, which is all going to the bolt fund.

Cheers
Andy
 Dave Musgrove 24 Oct 2014
In reply to panyan:

I agree I used the new android version 2 weeks ago. No need to carry a heavy guide to the crag anymore (.though I would still buy the guide for the full info experience).
It worked pretty well on my small samsung phone but still a few teething troubles to sort out yet. i.e. The comments window didn't show up on my phone and the lines on the diagrams are pretty crammed in on some crags and hard to differentiate. However that's not a big issue as most of the routes have names painted on and the routes list gives all the other info you need.
Well done to Steve Golley, and Steve and Sue McDonnell at the Glaros. More money in the bolt fund means more new routes for next year!
OP panyan 24 Oct 2014
In reply to Dave Musgrove:
Good to see disruptive technology being put to a good cause for a change, and all reports from users so far I've seen makes buying this a total no-brainer. Seems totally bargainous for the content that you get so I'll definitely give it a go. I'm going to put some extra in the Glaros bolt fund next time I go just for the effort that's gone into the app alone.

For anyone going, or thinking of going, here's the website with download links. www.thesendtopos.co.uk/kalymnos.
Post edited at 21:36
 John Alcock 30 Oct 2014
In reply to panyan:

I used the ap on my iphone5 on a recent visit and thought it worked very well. Huge thanks to Steve and Sue and Steve Golley for all their work.

One controversial aspect is the many regrades. When I first went back in about 2004 the island's grades were often ridiculously soft. Over the years many of the most obvious anomalies have been rectified. Now the ap takes it one stage further. Is DNA really only 6c +, Lucifer's Hammer 6b+ and Beautiful Helen 6a? I understand Neil Gresham felt the grades were still soft, but I wonder if he's gone too far? That said he put Ixion at Kalydna up to 7b from 7a and that would make it my first (and only) 7b onsight, so I have reason not to argue!
In reply to John Alcock:

> Is DNA really only 6c +

The rests on it are pretty good.
 GridNorth 06 Nov 2014
In reply to panyan:

I used the app for a couple of weeks. It is very good value for money but there are a couple of issues that I think they should have addressed before releasing it. The GPS feature is advertised but not enabled and there are no route lengths shown. We also spotted a few inaccuracies and some serious under grading but this is only to be expected. We did a 5b warm up that got 6c+ in the supplement and to be honest it put a number of people in my group off buying the app especially when a similar thing happened the next day.

The concept is brilliant, the price is good but a little more work is still required for it to be an excellent product. This shouldn't stop anyone from buying it as I understand updates, including new routes, will be free.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...