UKC

Quandary at work

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spqr 24 Oct 2014

Hi,

So I started work at a startup in February as head of training. I left a good public sector job to move the private sector for two reasons. One to work in a new energetic space and secondly for professional development (working with leading people in the industry), which was assured to me at the interview. The directors consider themselves as forward thinking and leaders.

At the start I really loved the job as everybody was positive, had a clear vision of the company and I had a freehand to be creative(which was part of the ask at interview).
My role now is administrator, teacher, trainer, tutor and generally do whatever is required.

Over the last few months the following things have happened on a number of occasions:

- Frequent arguments between the three directors in an office adjacent to where training is happening over
the company website and so on
- Decisions for change in direction or rolling out a new course because another training company is doing the same (no real investigation had been done based on our resources and if the market was ready for the change)
- On asking if a course was going ahead one director would say yes, another maybe and a third not sure on multiple occasions.
-I designed and created a month long course and then was told that we hadn't been speaking to the right people and this wasn't going ahead
- On another occasion I was told on Thursday that we have clients on Monday and a six week programme needs to be put in place.
- We had a meeting about this and was asked why the programme didn't go as well as it should have and I tried to explain a little more time is needed to map these things out. I was pretty much grilled about the course that I had setup. I had a meeting with a more open director and explained this really isn't the way to go forward and this leadership style isn't really working for me, I asked for this to be fed back to the other two bosses.
- One boss became a little more helpful and the other just stopped speaking with me.
- Now another course is being created and I was informed last night that this needs to be showcased to some companies in December. I told the director the time scales he set were too tight and I had changed them due to other courses in between. His reply was "can't you multitask".
- Considering this is a guy who talks a lot about TED talks and the importance of people...

So I'd like ideas on where to go with this. My thinking is to have a meeting next week before I go on annual leave on Friday and say this isn't working for me and spell out why.
The two options are either things change or I'm walking.

Thanks,

spqr
Post edited at 09:22
 marsbar 24 Oct 2014
In reply to spqr:

The only thing I can think of right now (possibly not helpful) is that if I was teaching and there was arguing next door disturbing me, I would pause at a convenient point, go next door and ask them to be quieter or change location.

I think if you complain after the event, they will want to know why you didn't say something at the time. Particularly as its not a one-off.

At least its a question you can be prepared for I suppose.

ByEek 24 Oct 2014
In reply to spqr:

I have worked for a startup and whereas my experience wasn't quite the same as yours, there was definitely a lot of winging it. The problem is that the directors don't really know what they are doing. When people start companies they have a vision but not necessarily the know how to fulfill that vision. When the human trait that sees asking for help as a weakness kicks in things go downhill rapidly. I also think that company directors forget that a management structure for their staff is still required. My boss used to proudly boast that if he ever had to hire a HR person, to shoot him. But then he never managed his staff and work in the office was usually pretty chaotic and as a result, we were an underutilised resource.

You now have a choice. Stick with it or move on.
 Tobes 24 Oct 2014
In reply to spqr:
Do you and me work for the same company?! Only kidding, but there is obviously some communication and direction issues with the three directors. Strategies that should have been in place from the beginning may now seem off course and a lack of conviction to stick to any direction for any length of time suggests confidence is low too.

Unfortunatly you might not be at the top of their priority list, approaching them will either aggravate the situation further with some of the directors but could however make them accept the situation and start working better together and therefore with you.

Could just be a bump in the road but could be more, always worth having an exit strategy. What's your confidence like in the directors? you know their backgrounds, what they did before, how successful was their last position etc.
OP spqr 24 Oct 2014
In reply to Tobes:
One of the directors was a CTO and I rated him at the start and saw him as a mentor, however overtime I've lost faith in him as he seems all talk and less action. He jokes about past projects he's worked on and how 60% have failed.

The other two run another company and are in and out of office. I'm not sure why they're venturing into a new field as they say that company is successful...Seems like they do everything and have zero contract workers. I'm realising that one of them is again all talk. The third director understands my point of view and agrees with what I say, whether that is clearly fed back to the other two I don't know.

I've got enough in the bank to survive for 5 months. I'm already planning on signing up with a few agencies to do some contract work and have a business idea of my own which I'm working on in my spare time.
Post edited at 10:38
 Tobes 24 Oct 2014
In reply to spqr:
Sounds like you and one of the directors are on the same page, tricky to bring it up with them but thoughts of a breakaway together? Of course either way the moment they get the idea you're off it could get awkward.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
OP spqr 24 Oct 2014
In reply to Tobes:

Thanks Tobes.
 FrankBooth 24 Oct 2014
In reply to spqr:

I run a creative agency, which is now in it's fifteenth year, so all our systems are pretty established. In the beginning though, it was very chaotic and reactionary, with myself and the other two directors feeling away and frankly just winging it a lot of the time. Subsequently, I've seen this pattern repeated across a number of start-up.
I'd also say that three directors is possibly the worst number, especially if they're all quite strong characters - and the stresses that go with all the early uncertainty can quickly lead to flaring tempers. From what I've seen (and indeed experienced) It's very common for one of them to leave after a couple of years.
The crux of the problem is that people who start companies (and I include myself in this) are often very good at what they do, but they don't necessarily have any formal knowledge of running a business. It takes a long time to establish processes, get the marketing right, understand business finance and develop the objectivity that's needed.
If I were you, I'd ask yourself four questions:
What do I get out of this experience if I stick it out (which usually boils down to experience or equity)?
Can I handle the stress, and do I enjoy/thrive on it, or do I prefer working in a more structured environment?
Does the stress warrant the rewards?
How can I turn this experience to my advantage?
OP spqr 24 Oct 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

That's great feedback, thanks Frank.
 hokkyokusei 24 Oct 2014
In reply to ByEek:

> My boss used to proudly boast that if he ever had to hire a HR person, to shoot him.

I said something similar when we started our business, and now I'm head of HR!
 hokkyokusei 24 Oct 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

> ... In the beginning though, it was very chaotic and reactionary, with myself and the other two directors feeling away and frankly just winging it a lot of the time.

11 years in and I would say that we still wing it from time to time, just with a bit more confidence.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...