UKC

Dolan Bikes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andymac 25 Oct 2014
Dolan Ares SL to be exact.

Anyone got a Dolan?

Checking out hundreds of road bikes atm and have discovered these.

They seem to be very good value for money.

Ares SL frame (their top end carbon frame) costs under a grand. A third of what some other manufacturers are asking.

Could ,if I was very brave , get a full DuraAce Di2 ,mavic Cosmics ,Pro bars ,stem etc ,all singing ,all dancing bike for under £5k.

Bikes are crazy money ,but that's bloody good by my reckoning.

Alternatively ,if one was relatively sensible ,one could buy a small car for the same money.

sleavesley 25 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

I believe Enty has one, with only good things to say. Sure he will be along shortly to sing their praises.
andymac 25 Oct 2014
In reply to sleavesley:

I remember a few months ago he had built a bike ,but don't know if it was a Dolan.

I remember the frame was pure black.not sure what make though.
 sleavesley 25 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

It's a Dolan Ares that from memory he got for £600 when it was in the special offers and put DA 9000 on along with everything else stealth.
 lost1977 25 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

my track bike is a Dolan and i love it, great bike for the money only downside i have found is the paintwork seems to mark up easier than my other bikes have
 The New NickB 25 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

Nearly bought one earlier this year, only heard good things about them and great value. Only didn't get one because I saw a Flandria Professional frame set for half price and fell in love with it.

I went for mechanical DA9000, but Ribble sent me an email the other week offering the DA9070 electronic for £1050, which is a great deal. Without wheels, I only spent £2200 total, I'm riding it at 7.0kg with cheap heavy wheels. I'm going to buy some decent wheels and I will have a 6.5kg bike for £3k.
 kevin stephens 25 Oct 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I got a Dolan Tuono frame, had Dolan build it up with Ultegra, bars etc from my old bike., I supplied a new chainset (special deal from Wiggle) and some new Cero AR30 wheels. Very impressed and pleased with it.

IMHO Dolan frames are as good as top Italian brands but at a sensible price, the service seems more personal than Ribble
andymac 25 Oct 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Great price for the DA Di2 .nearly half price.
andymac 25 Oct 2014
In reply to kevin stephens:

Wonder where Dolans frames are made.

There are naughty amounts of money being made on these frames

I was led to believe every carbon frame ,whether it was Pinarello or Dolan ,was made in Thailand ( or some other Far East country)

Probably ,literally, made for pennies
 kevin stephens 25 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

I think most are made in China, with big mark ups for the big brands. However there are alarming reports of ultra cheap fakes or "tribute" frames cracking with no redress
 Dark-Cloud 25 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

If you are looking at that sort of budget and you are not bothered about riding this years model there is some stunning deals to be had on bikes from the last few years, for example:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/giant-tcr-advanced-sl-0-isp-road-bike-20...

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-tcr-advanced-sl-0-isp-road-bike-id8085...

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-tcr-advanced-sl-2-isp-road-bike-id8085...
 IMA 26 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:
Great bikes generally, good value for the most part. Nearly bought one myself but ended up with an S works as I couldn't try the sizes I wanted (I wanted custom colour so no return). Dolan would paint it but I'd have no idea on how the colours would actually look in the flesh.

Enty loves his. Guys in my club love theirs

I wouldn't bother with the Cosmics personally. Di2 is mint but an indulgence, your hobby your money.
Do you need a car? Do you do the miles on the bike to enjoy that level of indulgence?

Downside in my opinion is that it is an open mould frame , however the price reflects this.

RE location and prices, majority are all made out in the far east, expertise and factories are there. A lot are made in the Giant Factory. Even those stating made in Italy tend to be assembled. The Colnago C60 is an exception and there are others (perhaps the dogma and the top Williers but I couldn't swear on that). Trek make there top frame over in Wisconsin

Dolan are made out there pretty sure they don't hide that either, not sure if they are open about the grade of carbon and resin though
Post edited at 01:59
 flatdave 26 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

I too am on the lookout for a new bike and though my budget is somewhat less than yours, the best deals that I've seen seem to be the German on-
line bikes at Canyon and Rose. Have you looked at those?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...