UKC

Ice screw racking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 25 Oct 2014
So far I've never carried more than four screws so I've had them 2 on each side on petzl ice clippers. I've only got two clipper slots on my harness though and was wondering how people rack their screws when climbing water ice with 12 or so.

Is a bandolier the way forward? Fancy panpipe things? Or just krabs on gear loops?

Ideally I want to avoid shredding my jacket and trousers.

R
 nufkin 25 Oct 2014
In reply to Roberttaylor:

TobyA of these parts had a nifty home-made design. Can't remember which thread he mentioned it, but he may well be along in a while anyway and can give more details
 HeMa 25 Oct 2014
In reply to nufkin:

Two old carabiners, some zipties and plastic tubing... will create something akin to Simond Rack... http://www.simond.com/en/cat/Protection/Others/prd/Rack_-_Gear_rack
 TobyA 25 Oct 2014
In reply to HeMa:

Yep - http://frozentime.se/climbing/iceclip.html works very well. Keylock bent gate krabs are best but you can do them with about any. I did weekly ice climbing with mine for about 10 seasons with no probs at all.

Electrical tape krabs to the front and back of your front gear loops. Works almost as well as the ice clipper dealios. 4 screws per krab is reasonable. You'll probably only have 2 or maybe 3 lengths of screw, so not complicated to have that many per krab. There are probably better ways but it is cheap and cheerful.
 Dave Williams 25 Oct 2014

2x Petzl Caritool in the harness slots and 2x BD Ice Clippers just behind them on the harness - the rubber attachment strap means that these will fit virtually all harnesses and don't need a specific slot. (Note that the harness is a DMM Super Couloir , a fairly minimalist one with only 5 gear loops and specifically chosen with this racking system in mind.)

If I need to I can rack 4 screws on each clipper.

I also have a Simond rack thingy and a bandolier, both of which I very rarely use as the above 'system' works extremely well for me.

A friend uses one of these quite successfully: http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Rock-Climbing-Equipment/Bandoliers/Zo...

HTH

Dave
OP Roberttaylor 25 Oct 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Excellent, this is what I will do.

In reply to Dave Williams: I will look into the ice clippers too; I like the fact I can clip my aces to them.

mick taylor 27 Oct 2014

BD ice clippers for me. The flat profile means a very snug fit and screws clip on and off very easily. I've used the panpipe/flutes, and Simond Rack, but BD clippers preferred choice.

You do get some trouser damage, but its to be expected.
mick taylor 27 Oct 2014

Also, i believe grivel helix don't rack as well on clippers and racks - the 'panpipe flute' may be best option if you have a stack of helix's.
 iksander 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Roberttaylor: Another vote for panpipes if you have screws with big hangers, 360s etc. The grivel one is well designed as it has a waist and shoulder strap that holds them it place so you don't have to wrestle the screws out. You can lash one up from flutes with some gaffer tape and a couple of adjustable tape belts if you can't get a ready made one.

Only downer is that you always have to use the same hand to get the screws out, but I always prefer to use my right (dominant) hand to place screws anyway, so hang the panpipe on the left. Having a lot less clutter on the harness, being able to high-step without stabbing your thighs and not loosing screws from clippers more than makes up for it
FWIW you can at a push fit 6 BD Express screws on a Petzl Clipper so for me the problem hasn't arisen even with my current harness which like yours carries only two of them.

Previously I had a home made version of the Simond rack using some amazing 'non-rated' racking carabiners I bought in Andorra which were larger and lighter than normal krabs.
 Jim Fraser 30 Oct 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Indeed it does.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...