UKC

Eiger North Face Film

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bobling 26 Oct 2014

Finally got round to watching this last night http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844457/. I know the story pretty well and hadn't thought about it much beyond "Oh there's a climbing film I can watch as the other half is away and we have a free subscription to amazon prime for a bit". I had spent the day in Cheddar and had had serious conversations once or twice with my own supply of courage, which seems to dwindle as I get older, and the contrast between that pretty easy climbing in a benign environment and this time and arena was humbling.

The second half with the retreat, deaths and attempted rescue was just harrowing and my reaction to this took me by suprise. Silly when I think of it now - what did I expect? I was blase as we all know what happens in the end, but to see it played out was not at all pleasant.

Poor b*ggers.

Two other things - despite being a complete artifice AFAIK the insertion of the love interest was actually not too painful - I enjoyed the male reporter character and the issues that bit of the story brought up.

The Hinterstoisser traverse - it is just a traverse right, they didn't do some kind of Yosemite pendulum move on it did they? (Edited to add - Wiki tells me they did try to on the descent. Wow. Also when I say *just* a traverse I appreciate it is no 4a bimble).
Post edited at 10:57
 Mike Turner 26 Oct 2014
In reply to Bobling:

Wasn't it a tension traverse? I agree, it wasn't a pendulum, but I guess that is easier to show and the general public can understand it.
 Co1in H 26 Oct 2014
In reply to Bobling: There is a large format book about the event but also about the film. It also covers the making of the film and in particular how the falls and effects were created. Only in German, but very good with lots of pictures for simple folk like me.

malk 26 Oct 2014
In reply to Bobling:

did the subtitles help much? i notice Nordwand and Nanga Parbat are available on utube but german only..
OP Bobling 26 Oct 2014
In reply to malk:

Well they helped in that I don't understand German very well! I paid particular attention when one reporter character held up a piton and said "what exactly do you call this anyway?" to another - I was intrigued to know what a piton was in German. "mu*indistinguishable*" said the reporter who knew and the subtitle came up "piton".

Can anyone explain a tension traverse to me?
 BALD EAGLE 26 Oct 2014
In reply to Bobling:

> Can anyone explain a tension traverse to me?

... a traverse under tension! You are very welcome!

JLS 26 Oct 2014
In reply to Bobling:

Can anyone explain a tension traverse to me?

Imagine standing on a big hold and leaning left to try and reach a hand hold far off to the side. You can only reach so far before you over balance. Now imagine if you have a tight rope in your right hand. This would allow you to lean out further and hence reach further away holds.
OP Bobling 26 Oct 2014
In reply to JLS:

Aha thanks for that, simple really!
OP Bobling 26 Oct 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Helpful as ever Dave!
 BALD EAGLE 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Bobling:

> Helpful as ever Dave!

No thank you!

Mike Turner 28 Oct 2014
In reply to Bobling:

> I was intrigued to know what a piton was in German. "mu*indistinguishable*" said the reporter who knew and the subtitle came up "piton".

Piton is normally "Haken" (=hook), but I think she said "Mauerhaken" (=wall hook)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...