UKC

When did the words send/sent/sending start being used?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 26 Oct 2014
Now I know that as an old fart, the Victor Meldrew effect tends to kick in far more often than it should do but every time I see some "stick" talking about how they "sent" their latest F9b+, I get irritated and start shouting at the screen, saying that it has been "climbed" and has not been sent anywhere. Am I alone in being annoyed and just where did this annoying term come from?
 Michael Gordon 26 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed UserMike Rhodes:

Means the same as 'dispatched' but I agree it's more annoying!

>Am I alone in being annoyed

No.

>and just where did this annoying term come from?

America, i think. And yoof generally.

Equally annoying only worse - "I got the second ascent."

jcm
 mark s 26 Oct 2014

not sure but i never use it,nearly as shit as the term 'bloc'
 Jon Stewart 26 Oct 2014

It started at the beginning of the end.
 Rick Graham 26 Oct 2014
In reply to mark s:

> not sure but i never use it,nearly as shit as the term 'bloc'

bloc is from the French I guess.

send is probably American "Camalots, built for the send"

Get over it, language and word usage evolves, ask Victoria Coren-whats her name.
 The Pylon King 26 Oct 2014

It all about cool new language from America ( and from France for the Font lot).

It's been going on for years.

Cool.

Heads Up.

etc

Most of it is extremely irritating, some of it is helpful but as Rick Graham says it's just evolution, like iphones.
In reply to The Pylon King:

> it's just evolution, like iPhones.

iPhone, iPad, iTunes.

iDon't know
sOon we will be writing like this all the time.
tHe misplaced capital letter will invade all communications.
pRogress i suppose.

hO - hum

;~))

In reply to Michael Gordon:

Ahh Dispatched. Thanks. I was wondering about this the other day. I though maybe it came from 'ascent'.
Wiley Coyote2 26 Oct 2014

Just because you are a crabby old fart it doesn't make you wrong.
 Bob 26 Oct 2014
In reply to Rick Graham:

"Evolve" does imply progression rather than regression

George Orwell's Newspeak was obviously far too complicated a concept for the youth of today!

it's an americanisation (lazy) of the term "ascend" - they never could spell anyway.
 The Pylon King 26 Oct 2014
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

Its the pHuture
 Ramblin dave 26 Oct 2014

> Am I alone in being annoyed and just where did this annoying term come from?

I think it started when someone discovered how funny it is to watch some moaning oldie getting apoplectic with rage after you say something like "dude, you totally sent that gnarly problem on your fifth onsight attempt..." within their earshot.
 3leggeddog 26 Oct 2014

Don't get mad get even. Invent your own equally annoying term and reward yourself with smug satisfaction when it becomes mainstream.

I suggest "wolfed" for a route that has been repeatedly "dogged".

So Peregrine, I see you finally sent your sick project

Yeah dude, I had to wolf it though, after a bit of rest, I may try a severe next
 Michael Gordon 27 Oct 2014
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:

> it's an americanisation (lazy) of the term "ascend" - they never could spell anyway.

It doesn't mean the same thing though. 'Send' is usually to succeed on a route/problem you've been working while 'ascend' is just to climb something.
 Tom Valentine 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:

I still have problems with "working".....

( Yes, in the broader sense as well.)
 john arran 27 Oct 2014
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:

> it's an americanisation (lazy) of the term "ascend" - they never could spell anyway.

It certainly sounds like it should be, but in fact it has a completely different origin. Routes some decades ago were sometimes described as having been 'dispatched', especially if they were completed with a minimum of fuss or apparent difficulty, (e.g. 'After struggling on the crux first pitch the remainder of the route was dispatched without further incident'.) This somehow led to routes also being 'sent' and even (thankfully very briefly) also 'faxed'. The audible similarity between 'send' and 'ascend' is entirely coincidental.
 krikoman 27 Oct 2014

Just before the first Christmas

I think we have added to the use of the word 'sent' in the UK by using it in UKC Logbooks to describe completing a boulder problem.

I remember having a discussion with Nick Smith when we developed the system initially and we needed to come up with a word to be the equivalent of 'lead' for roped climbing to use in logs. 'Climb' wouldn't do since that was too generic and can refer to an style of ascent. 'Solo' didn't work since it is associated with a different style of climbing. So we chose 'sent'.

Alan
 Pewtle 27 Oct 2014

I like it - it's a fun word to say, if you can get past the semantic speed bump (as I don't really know where you could send a several tons of crag, or what you would do with it when it got there).

Just my two penniesworth (ducks back behind parapet).

"Send" is passe now here in the States.

"Get" is where it's at. As in "Did you get your proj dude?" - "Yeah I got it"

"Sick" is on the wane and rapidly going the way of Gnarly, to the climbing vernacular graveyard. Watch out for "Rowdy" coming your way soon.
 ericinbristol 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC:

Interesting. Before long, 'send' will be regarded by the next UKC generation as the proper Brit term and 'get' as some ridiculous Americanism.
 Skol 27 Oct 2014
Are you Choss?
 Dave Garnett 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC:
> (In reply to Mike Rhodes)
>
>
> "Get" is where it's at. As in "Did you get your proj dude?" - "Yeah I got it"
>

Sounds much better than 'send' to me. It's even quite close the original (and some would still say only correct) usage of 'get', meaning 'beget'.

In reply to Skol:

No, why?
 Skol 27 Oct 2014
He used to do similar with capitals mid word.
 kristian Global Crag Moderator 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

I dislike the use of that word so much that I have left the style of my logged boulders blank, which is unfortunate.
I also have a dislike for the words "FOR" as in 8c "FOR" so and so when ever someone does something in a news item.
Lets not start on the use of the word "CRUSH".
In reply to kristian:

> I dislike the use of that word so much that I have left the style of my logged boulders blank, which is unfortunate.

Yes, we weren't 100% happy with it when we set it up but, as yet, no-one has come up with a better alternative.

Alan
 john arran 28 Oct 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

How about putting language evolution into reverse and calling it 'dispatched'?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...