UKC

Durness to Ullapool walking logistics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Red Rover 27 Oct 2014
This summer I'm doing a big walk in the NW highlands and one leg is Durness to Ullapool via the Assynt mountains. I don't want to carry loads of food around is it still possible to send packages to various post offices and pick them up when you get there?

The only place with a post office that I can find between DUrness and Ullapool is Achfary does anyone know of any others?

Cheers
Removed User 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

Never posted to a PO but have sent stuff ahead to pre booked accomadation. I realise that can mean you lose flexibility in your plans but it has worked well for me in the past.

There shops in Kinlochbervie, Scorie, Drumbeg and Lochinver.
 Welsh Kate 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

There's also a rather superior pie shop in Lochinver.
 Dan_S 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Welsh Kate:

They do mail order pies too!

Can't help with the logistics, we carried everything this summer, but it's a cracking part of the world.
llechwedd 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

Post Offices in the Highlands may have limited opening hours. If you're passing when they're not open it's a bit of a pain having to hang around until they do. All sorts of things can throw you off your itinerary.
Its' not for me to say which people near your route would accept a parcel for you, but a courteous 'phone call or email to somewhere you might stay or buy something from is the way I'd play it.
I've never had the request refused, and have met some wonderful people this way.
 jasonC abroad 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

You can use the Poste Restante service, basically mail stuff to your self at a particular post office

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/poste-restante

If your walking through Assynt or staying at the Inchnadamph Lodge you can pick up food (basic) there.
OP Red Rover 29 Oct 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

Thanks everyone. The overall plan is Durness to Fort William linking some of the wilder more obscure areas and classic but busier mountains. Don't know how far I can get in the 2 weeks I have but I should hopefully get to Ullapool.
llechwedd 29 Oct 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

I hope it goes well for you.
OP Red Rover 29 Oct 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

Thanks. I have no real plan other than turn up in Durness and head south. I've never been to the highlands apart from Ben Nevis so it will be an exploratory trip.
 Bulls Crack 30 Oct 2014
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> There's also a rather superior pie shop in Lochinver.

Including flavours you never knew you wanted!
 Mike Conlon 31 Oct 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

Sounds great, enjoy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...