UKC

Scarpa Vapour V alternative

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CMcBain 28 Oct 2014
I've always sworn by my Scarpa Vapour V's for everything, however after fracturing both my big toes over summer I find them too painful to wear anymore. Instead i'm now using Scarpa Force X's which have been great for trad but find them a bit lacking for sport/indoors. Scarpa don't seem to sell anything in-between the Force X's and Vapour V's so wondering if anyone has a suggestion for another brand/model of shoe that might slot in between them?

As it's an indoor shoe they have to be velcros rather than lace-ups. If it's any help I wear 43 streetshoes and found that most Scarpas in a 42 fit well.

Thanks
 wbo 28 Oct 2014
In reply to CMcBain: I would suggest that as Scarpa and Boreal are the only brands that fit me well you might try a Boreal shoe instead. Not sure which one tho' - I'm using Force X for most everything as well

OP CMcBain 28 Oct 2014
In reply to wbo:

Hadn't thought of Boreal actually, will have a look!

also bump for the evening folk...
 zv 28 Oct 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

Have a look at the La Sportiva Miuras. Both the velcro and the lace up versions (the velcro is slightly more aggressive). It's very similar profile to the Scarpa Vapours as they both have a medium downturn (not quite as aggresive as Futuras or Shamans).

I used my Miuras for everything - trad,indoor and sport. Not too big so can jam properly into small cracks and very precise and firm outside edge for small stuff to put your feet on.

However they do have a different fit to the Scarpas, but doesn't hurt trying to see how they fit you.
 AlanLittle 29 Oct 2014
In reply to zmv:

Might be a possibility. I found the only pair of Scarpas I ever had (Boosters) pressed quite uncomfortably on the tip of my big toe. Miuras don't.
 turtlespit 29 Oct 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

Try the scarpa instinct range - I've had several pairs of the laces (discontinued now?) and slipper and they fit me really well. Tried the vapours and found them too narrow around the toes, whereas the instincts are wider. Might help if the width of the vapours is the thing causing you pain.
 petellis 29 Oct 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

The sportiva miura VS and the vapour V fit almost exactly the same (the Miura is slightly wider). If you fit the vapour you probably fit the miura lace-up so like the others I'd suggest that. Less toe down and aggressive, fairly stiff and pretty technical.
OP CMcBain 29 Oct 2014
In reply to petellis:

Looks like I should try a pair of Miura's out! I was actually thinking about Katana's as well, they seem to be slightly less aggressive than the Miura's/Vapours but moreso than the Force X's. Anyone got any opinion on them? Also, are velcro versions in La Sportiva always a bit more aggressive than the lace versions (presumably as you can slip them on/off easier)?

I've heard the sizing can be a bit odd on sportiva's as well? For scarpa's I found going down 1 size from street shoe provided a good overall fit, is it the same on sportiva's (keeping in mind I can't really stomach wearing in really painful shoes with my fractured toe, so they need to be fairly comfortable from new)?

cheers
Removed User 29 Oct 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

> For scarpa's I found going down 1 size from street shoe provided a good overall fit, is it the same on sportiva's

Usually more like two Euro sizes down from your foot size for the Sportivas, but that is for a good snug fit. Less might be better for fractured toes.
 petellis 29 Oct 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

> I was actually thinking about Katana's as well, they seem to be slightly less aggressive than the Miura's/Vapours but moreso than the Force X's. Anyone got any opinion on them? Also, are velcro versions in La Sportiva always a bit more aggressive than the lace versions (presumably as you can slip them on/off easier)?

The katana feels more assymetric to me, but not as aggressive toe down form what i remember. As I undertand it the Katana is actually the velcro version of the Miura and the Katana lace is the lace version of the Miura velcro... makes sense? Me neither... Long and short of it is you should probably try the lot, they are all pretty different.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...