UKC

INTERVIEW: Caroline Ciavaldini Talks Trad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 28 Oct 2014
Caroline Ciavaldini, 3 kbCaroline talks Trad and British Ethics

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=6751
 AdamBrown 28 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC Articles:

Insightful, thank you!

I hope she is an inspiration to female climbers, its great to see the sport gaining greater popularity with girls.
 Niall Grimes 28 Oct 2014
Nice interview

Puppythedog 28 Oct 2014

I do like James and Caro Ciavaldini,such nice eggs.
 john arran 28 Oct 2014

"...trad leaves me much bigger memories than sport climbing."

Nice quote.
 Michael Gordon 28 Oct 2014

Great interview.

"In the end, I have realised that the best way to not get hurt, is to climb very well when it is dangerous. Which means to be able to control your stress… and for that, I reuse techniques that I developed in competitions to handle the fear of failure: I focus on the climbing, the movements. Yuji (Hiriyama) put this into words recently: he told me that trad lies in the moment where you decide if you will commit to climbing a route or not. That is the moment when you have to choose to accept the risk. Once you are in the route, being scared is pointless; it doesn’t help you climb better. So get rid of the fear."

I thought this bit was interesting and well put, and definitely applies for some onsights as well!

Good lass.

jcm
 Tom Last 29 Oct 2014

Good stuff, insightful lady.
pasbury 29 Oct 2014

One of the best synopses of our weird scene from an outsider that I've read.
 ebdon 29 Oct 2014
In reply to pasbury:

Shes got one thing spot on, peak limestone is sh*t
 Laramadness 29 Oct 2014
In reply to ebdon:

and another - I help run a small bouldering wall in France - they will only ever play reggae music , a big contrast to the pumping dance at UK walls!
 Yelmo 30 Oct 2014

I think this interview emphasizes the huge, important and absolutely positive contribution of female climbing to our beloved sport. When I started climbing, back in the early 80ies, seeing a woman at the crag, not climbing, just being there, was an absolute rarity. And obviously she would be the centre of attraction. I am glad this has changed. And personally, I try to learn from our fellow female climbers. I find, generally speaking, their climbing is much more elegant, more "in flow", their problem-solving different. And I admire their strong will and perseverance. Had it been the other round, I often wonder whether we, men, would have had the courage to enter a female dominated sport and work ourselves to such excellence as women have done in climbing in such a relative short period of time. Well done girls!! Or in Caroline's mother tongue: chapeau!!
 LeeWood 01 Nov 2014

Good article. I'm surprised how 'black and white' she portrays risk taking in trad v sport. I see and feel risk at all times whatever I'm climbing. If the bolts are spaced and there's a gnarly deck the risk is high; if the gear placements are solid and landing OK then risk is low. Probably because I'm climbing in the low/mid grades whereas she is climbing mostly on steeper rock ??
 MarisP 05 Nov 2014

If you'd like to hear a bit more from Caroline (and James!) they'll be doing a talk on their climbing adventures on stage in Newcastle (15 Nov) and London (17 Nov) alongside a screening of some climbing films - including the European theatre premiere of the latest ice climbing film from Sherpa Cinemas - Always Above Us.

The details are:
Newcastle - Sat 15 Nov, 7:30pm - Mill Volvo Tyne Theatre
Tickets @ https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-north-face-summit-tour-in-partnership-wi...

London - Mon 17 Nov, 8:00pm - Conway Hall
Tickets @ https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-north-face-summit-tour-in-partnership-wi...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...