UKC

Penmachano

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mrdigitaljedi 29 Oct 2014
Well sunday was my 1st visit to penmachano, and what a day it was horizontal rain, windy, and half the 1st loop closed off for forestry work, and the rest like riding on glass.

But what a great day, even with 4 crashes and multiple stalls it is a place i want to go again, i also had a new toy to play with a GoPro Hero 3 and handlebar mount, even in the rain/mud got some good footage and so here it is.

I know it isnt the best of editing, only just learning how to do it, but for any-one out there who are considering a gopro get 1.

youtube.com/watch?v=_DUtSabGEBA&
xyz 29 Oct 2014
The first time I rode Penmachno, I hated it finding it very difficult to get into a good rhythm.

As I live quite close and love a challenge I decided to keep going back until I could ride the trail well. After 4 visits in one week I seem to have the measure of the place and can honestly say it's one of my favorite trails out there. Unlike a lot of other man-made trails its not super technical but it is super narrow and you have to be on the ball 100% with good upper body strength to handle the rocky trials sections otherwise you'll wipe out!

Every time I've ridden Penmachno its been hammering with rain and the trail's been like a river with the wind blowing a hooly - but I absolutely love it!

For your information, where the first section of trail is blocked off due to logging, carry on down the fire road for a few hundred meters and take the next fire road on the right, after a few meters the trail is open again on the right. You only miss out on a short section.

Happy riding
 The Potato 29 Oct 2014
In reply to mrdigitaljedi:
I like it a lot, I go fairly often and intend to try out my new full sus frame there this evening

Glad you posted the vid now Itll get me in the zone watching it before I set off
Post edited at 10:13
 ti_pin_man 29 Oct 2014

I agree with Lee, its a fab type of trail, a lot of the guys I used to ride with often slagged it off but I found Penmachno always felt more ... I don't know ... real. I cant really explain. Maybe because its less well known, quieter, more of a xc rhythm, I don't know but I always enjoyed it.
 The Potato 29 Oct 2014
In reply to ti_pin_man:

it definately flows nicely and yeah does feel more of a natural trail, loop 2 has a bit more forestry road than Id like but also has a few more sections of rough trail and feels much more exposed in parts.

anyway, sshhh stop advertising it so much or it wont be so quiet
 Kimono 29 Oct 2014

Though i appreciated the location and the relative 'wildness' of it found it all a bit samey to be honest.
Have only done it the once though to be fair and it sounds like it grown on people
 The Potato 29 Oct 2014

it is a bit samey perhaps but still if you like that sort of trail then you get lots of the same stuff you like!

Ive just got back from there now, very dark! They have added two new sections towards the end of loop 1 - at the end of craig wen which is still bedding in so didnt ride it) and then after hafod fraith theres a new section that cuts out the boring forestry road to Pen y bont.

Its totally out of character with the rest of the trail - a wide smooth flowing path with two unexpected rocky sections and two massive berms at the end. Im not complaining at all its nice not to have to plod up the road for a change.
OP mrdigitaljedi 31 Oct 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Sounds like some of what we did, i will be doing another video this weekend but this time of cannock chases Follow The Dog and Monkey Trail as its my local area.

These GoPro's are addictive, just makes you go abit crazy.
 ChrisJD 01 Nov 2014
We did the two loops on the Monday after you - similar conditions! Snorkel would have been useful at times.

Great fun riding though (did the loops a couple of times a few summers ago). Strangely, roughly same times as summer riding!

The new groomed sections are completely out of character with the rest of the trails though - they need to be Penmachoed immediately!
Post edited at 19:47
 The Potato 05 Nov 2014

im going to roughen up those smooth surfaces today, its a shame llugallt and the section just after it will still be closed due to forestry work but no matter.
Also got a new bike light from ebay to try out, one of the 1800 lumen cree ones, seems very bright.
 The Potato 06 Nov 2014

the two new sections are open and consist of a wide fast flowing path with humps and lots of berms, must have taken a fair bit of work to make them.
OP mrdigitaljedi 06 Nov 2014

well i didnt do all of Follow The Dog and Monkey Trail but did capture FTD so here's my vid of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSM1y_bTd3c&list=UU0bUJhBSn6baOKA1hoR0e...

steveriley 10 Nov 2014

I had a look for the first time today. Curate's egg I guess. I got phenomenally wet and it didn't rain all day. Still a fair bit of loop 1 closed - good bits according to the guy I bumped into. A few superb stretches. Wonder what it's like on the weekend? I was just getting my hand in again after a long break and wouldn't have wanted someone fast breathing down my neck. New bits felt slightly out of character but mostly fun. I'd go back.
OP mrdigitaljedi 13 Nov 2014
In reply to SteveRi:

yes would be nice if it was done without the need for waterwings going back next summer, when hopefully it will be dry.
bullandbladder 13 Nov 2014
In reply to SteveRi:

FYI it'll be busy this weekend with Penmachno Enduro race taking place on Saturday to sort of christen the new bits.
Also, regardless of the time of year it's always wetter than an otter's pocket up there.
 Chris the Tall 11 Dec 2014

This video has popped up on STW, but it's completely different to how I remember Penmachno

http://player.vimeo.com/video/111435935

Last time I went there - probably this time of year, 5 years ago - the second loop was fairly new. Is all this BMX style track new, or does it replace the existing singletrack. And is there as much of it as suggested by the video ?

Also, any recommendations on accommodation ?

steveriley 11 Dec 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

That highly groomed stuff is very new and probably only 5-10% of the trail. Some of it's a bit odd to be honest. Mind you I've only been once last month and have nothing to compare it to.
 ChrisJD 11 Dec 2014
Yes the new stuff is completely at odds with the rest of the trail (I hated it - the new stuff), I get the feeling it has not gone down that well with many of the the locals and visitors. Fortunately, there is not that much of it.

Call into the Conwy Falls Cafe (great coffee!) and give them some feedback as I think they are trying to garner opinion to sway future trail development.

Don't be put off though, the rest is still good.

Also go ride the Marin - done it a few times recently and single track stuff is still really good (blank out all the forest double track) .
Post edited at 16:54
 Chris the Tall 11 Dec 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

Last time I did the Marin - probably around the same time as I did Penmachno - I didn't think much to it. Fairly short and with a high proportion of fireroad. Has it changed much ?
 ChrisJD 11 Dec 2014
No. But after doing PenMach a couple of times and going back to the Marin (after a long break from it) it made me appreciate how much fun the short sections of single track are at the Marin. They all flow well and you can get a real lick on.

But like I said, just blank out the forest double track

(but I get the impression we get pleasure from different things out of biking - so probably best to ignore me!)
Post edited at 19:03
 Tom Hutton 12 Dec 2014

Don't get the moans about the new stuff. Sure it's different to the old stuff... but it's not 'instead of' it's 'as well as'

Surely it's way preferable to fire road descents which is what it was before?
 The Potato 12 Dec 2014

agreed, its optional so no matter.

Anyway if you dont like penmachno dont ride it simples
In reply to Tom Hutton:

Yeah, I haven't ridden the new stuff yet but don't see how more could possible detract. Also a key feature of the original loops is the continuous narrowness of the trail requiring sustained concentration. Probably nice to have a bit of variety at the end of all that? (Don't retro-change the rest though).
 Chris the Tall 12 Dec 2014
In reply to Tom Hutton:

That's what I was asking - had they re-surfaced old, narrow singletrack with smooth BMX style track ? If the new surface is on new trail then that's fine, but I don't remember much in the way of fire-road descents before (but it is some time). Basically I'm too much of a wuss to getting much in the way of air time so if they were re-surfacing all the trails in that way I wouldn't bother going over.
 Chris the Tall 12 Dec 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

> (but I get the impression we get pleasure from different things out of biking - so probably best to ignore me!)

Catholic guilt complex mixed with protestant work ethic - I like going downhill but feel I have to earn it !
 Tom Hutton 12 Dec 2014

Yes, definitely all new. And as far as I know there are no plans to do it all like that... I speak to the Ranger and the volunteer trail managers occasionally and certainly haven't got that impression from them. Can't see why they would tbh!
 ChrisJD 12 Dec 2014
In reply to Tom Hutton:

> Don't get the moans about the new stuff. Sure it's different to the old stuff... but it's not 'instead of' it's 'as well as'

They just feel so out of character with the riding style they've created at Penmach. The loops feel/ride more like natural trails, then suddenly you are on smooth wide catty litter then back to narrow trails again. Think it odd that they went all 'trail centre' rather than keep with the 'Penmach ethos'.

Kimono 12 Dec 2014

> Catholic guilt complex mixed with protestant work ethic - I like going downhill but feel I have to earn it !

Excellent! I think I'm the same...i can't imagine being lifted uphill just to enjoy the downhills
 Cornish boy 12 Dec 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

I agree with Tom. I really enjoyed the variety and smoothness of the new sections and don't feel that the loop is any worse as a result of them. In fact, I think it enhances the whole ride experience. The big berms and opportunities for 'air time' are fun too. You still get to ride all the good bits of the original loop. Each to their own though, I suppose! I reckon it's much better than the Marin trail.
 ChrisJD 12 Dec 2014
In reply to Kimono:

> .i can't imagine being lifted uphill just to enjoy the downhills

It's pretty easy:

- load bike on van trailer; or
- load bike onto charilift

... see - not that hard at all to imagine.

I can tell you after a day of continuous uplift you would be wasted and fully battered. And very very happy

Kimono 13 Dec 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

nope, still need to earn it

Actually, its more than this, i actually enjoy climbing, though i know this can sound strange to 'normal' people!
 ChrisJD 13 Dec 2014
In reply to Kimono:

> Actually, its more than this, i actually enjoy climbing, though i know this can sound strange to 'normal' people!

No, that's normal behavior for a roadie

Kimono 14 Dec 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

am also x-country mountain biker
 ChrisJD 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Kimono:

I'm just a mountain biker
 Tom Hutton 14 Dec 2014

I'm a mountain biker first and a roadie second and a crap climber on both. But I really enjoy climbing too...

Here's a couple of short stories regarding all this...

http://mtbguiding.wordpress.com/2014/03/31/no-pain-no-gain/

http://mtbguiding.wordpress.com/2014/01/15/the-best-of-both-worlds/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...