UKC

When do you change your Ice picks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gazlynn 29 Oct 2014

Hi can any one please advise me on when should I consider changing my ice axe picks?

I appreciate that I have to keep them sharp but I don't really know when they are absolutly knackered.

I've had the petzl dry picks for a while now and I had to file one of the teeth off to get them sharp considering I don't climb hard how much longer can I or should I use them?

Or when do you retire a pick?

Mine

https://www.flickr.com/photos/garethlynn/15475877728

Brand new one

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Winter-Climbing-Equipment/Ice-Axes/Ic...

(Please no they're knackered please send them to me replies)

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

cheers

Gaz
Post edited at 22:06
 TobyA 29 Oct 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:
Back in the 90s we were always reliably informed by the experienced winter dudes that no one bothered sharpening their picks in Scotland as they wore away too quickly, and following that advice we still managed to get up stuff! The one in your photo looks fine - once I moved to Finland and started climbing water ice every winter weekend, I soon sussed that sharp picks help a lot so did keep the blades on my quarks sharpish so they did wear down somewhat via that but by the time I changed them they were noticeably shorter than your ones.

For hard water ice sharp pics do make a noticeable difference, but I reckon on Scottish snow ice gullies less so, and the same for lower and mid grade Scottish mixed - when you're stuffing half the blade in a crack and torquing doesn't matter at all, its only when you are pulling down on tiny flatties that having super sharp picks for mixed seems to make a difference.
Post edited at 22:52
OP Gazlynn 29 Oct 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I think that's where I've gone wrong trying to keep them too sharp and then just dinging them off rock with my not so delicate swing

I have a pair of the ice picks that I keep for besties when hopefully the ice routes here in Scotland come in this season.

Thanks for your reply

Gaz
 French Erick 31 Oct 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

When the pick is significantly shorter. It has an effect on the swing and angle once placed.

I often make reference to being cheap... I once did a whole season with picks that were 2cm shorter than new (measured against new one). It made my climbing hell but I was broke!
In reply to Gazlynn:

I'm sure I read somewhere that a good rule of thumb is once you have filed off 3 teeth to keep the tip profile right it is time to replace them. Unfortunately can't find the source.
OP Gazlynn 01 Nov 2014
In reply to Both:

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll persevere with them for a wee bit longer.

cheers

Gaz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...