UKC

bicycling iceland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
annie le 30 Oct 2014
Wee video me and the boy made in Iceland... Amazing place and incredible scenery. Also the fluffiest sheep I've ever seen!

vimeo.com/110149646

Hope you enjoy
 IPPurewater 30 Oct 2014
In reply to annie le:

Nice ! Thanks for that.

IPP
 The Potato 30 Oct 2014
In reply to annie le:

awsom! are you allowed to bike anywhere there?
 radams2000 30 Oct 2014
In reply to annie le:

Went there for two weeks in Sept. It was fantastic, your vt captures the magic perfectly 👍👍👍
annie le 31 Oct 2014
In reply to ow arm:

At the moment there seems to be no regulations. We got advice from the guys at Kria cycles in reykjavic about trails.
However Iceland seems very conflicted over its tourism at the moment so who knows when it might change. Go soon!
Rigid Raider 31 Oct 2014
In reply to annie le:

What time of the year was that?
annie le 01 Nov 2014
In reply to Rigid Raider:

This was the first week in September.
 Ele 02 Nov 2014
In reply to annie le:

This looks amazing! What route did you take? How many miles? And how much did you cycle each day? Details please!
 ablackett 03 Nov 2014
In reply to annie le:

That's a cracking video, looks like you had some amazing weather. Lovely.
In reply to annie le:

Thanks for that, I really enjoyed it. Makes me want to fix up my mountain bike and go on a long trip, and this coming from a devoted roadie who usually does whatever he can to avoid any surface that isn't tarmac
 Toby_W 04 Nov 2014
In reply to annie le: great watch, thanks. My sister in law and her partner cycled round Iceland a few years back and had a great time of it. I'm curious what you mean't about tourism there, can you expand on your thoughts?

Cheers and thanks again

Toby

annie le 05 Nov 2014
In reply to Toby_W:

Toby, their tourism numbers have almost tripled in the last 10 years which although a good thing seems to be putting pressure on the country. In reykjavic the rental market for locals has been damaged by landlords realising they can make more money from holiday let's and so there is a bit of animosity towards tourists. Outside the city the increased footfall at popular attractions has lead to erosion as the Icelanders don't seem to keen to put in footpaths. But they are happy to complain.
We chatted to a university lecturer who was looking into things and she also mentioned that tour operators from the city are taking folks onto the glaciers without proper knowledge. She also said they were thinking of brining in a sort of environmental tax for all tourists to be put back into the land, for facilities and footpaths ect. They may also be looking to reduce numbers in some areas or close campsites to restrict footfall to day traffic only. We spoke to the rescue teams as well who seem to spend most of their time rescuing tourists who cant drive their rental 4x4 and get stuck or idiots who drive off road and leave huge ruts in the delicate landscape.
They also seem anti cycle tourers as they don't seem to think we spend much money in the country, although our thoughts were that we did, and in more remote locations than most tourists get. ( we were there for 5 weeks and went round the east and down the sprengisander). Our impression was they are just a bit overwhelmed and struggling to deal with the increase in tourists at the moment but will hopefully find ways to resolve that.

Ele, have a look at http://www.icelandtrails.com/ put together by the Kria guys. This route was physically very demanding and crossed high plateau s where you can get scary blizzards even in summer. Probably better as a hike than a bike

Cheers, annie
 Toby_W 05 Nov 2014
In reply to annie le:

Cheers and cheers again, really interesting.

Toby

Chris the Tall 05 Nov 2014
In reply to annie le:

Stunning. Thanks for posting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...