UKC

Spinning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kimono 30 Oct 2014
Going to my first spinning class tomorrow and not sure what to expect.
Am a strong and confidant cyclist but am i in for a surprise?
Is spinning a very different kettle of fish?
I guess I'll soon find out but interested to hear others views on the matter
 chrisa87 30 Oct 2014
In reply to Kimono:

Don't think of it as a cycling class. A lot of cyclists do and get frustrated by it.

It's really good hiit on a static bike which will certainly help the old leg strength. It is very much dependent on the leader though, they make the difference. (And be honest when increasing the resistance, though it does take a couple of classes to get used to it)
 JohnnyW 31 Oct 2014
In reply to Kimono:

I use it every winter to keep the lungs and legs going. I get regularly ragged by our instructors at Stirling Peak.
I do find the artificial loading of the gears hard on the knees, as in real time I would drop a gear or get out of the saddle, but it definitely increases strength.
Ditto the ultra high cadences, but again, they pump the heart.
I like the fact there are all sorts there, and we all work at our own rate. it feels inclusive - shared pain and all that.
And as for sweat!

Definitely not for the feint-hearted though. I got a rude awakening when I went the first time, rehabilitating a bad ankle, thinking it would be a skoosh!
 Dave B 31 Oct 2014
In reply to Kimono:

They vary so enormously from gym to gym and programme to programme. Some are very specific, like RPM - which is pre-choreographed and the instructor is given the music, when to change gear and focus for each track. Some programmes are much more general in their training and then depend on instructor skill to develop a useful session - with them deciding music, choreo etc. Then there different training organisations who teach the same 'static exercise bike' basic, but put different emphasis. You an get some real weird stuff where individual instructors choreograph the class themselves, but also some real gems, RPM and pre-choreographed classes tend to be more consistent across the board, but the 'magic' still usually comes from the instructor.

They can be HIIT or a long slow pedal to music. The instructors sometimes adjust your resistance, but mostly (and in my opinion) only you should be adjusting it - perhaps on suggestion from the instructor.

Find out in advance if there are SPD/clipped dual sided pedals before the class (usually SPD not SPD-SL) if you want to use your own cycling shoes rahter than trainers. Expect to SWEAT. Enjoy.
 LastBoyScout 31 Oct 2014
In reply to Kimono:

You are in for a shock - it's spinning, not cycling

First spinning class I went to, I missed half of it after ripping my finger on the toe straps buckle! I didn't realise they had SPD pedals on one side, so after that went back with my mountain bike shoes. I've since bought a pair of 2-bolt compatible road shoes specifically set up for spinning classes.

I also bought a pair of triathlon shorts, for comfort - cooler than full-pad bike shorts and more comfortable than gym shorts.

You will get VERY hot - take a drink and a towel for on the bike, as you won't get the cooling breeze you'd get on a bike ride. Also a complete change of clothes to come home in, as you'll be dripping!

Get there early to get a decent bike and have time to adjust it - it'll take a couple of classes to get it set up, as you won't be in a "normal" riding position. Think more "shopper bike" than head down racer. If it has a computer, make sure it works - one of the classes I've done runs on cadence, rather than resitance.
 Oujmik 31 Oct 2014
In reply to Kimono:

I'm not a fan, as a cyclist there are a number of things that frustrated me about RPM:

Uncomfortable bikes - not very configurable, pedals too far apart, saddle too bouncy etc.
Way too hot - even in an air conditioned room with fans, it's not nice
Constant changes of pace, position, cadence, gear... just annoying
Instructor shouting inane things such as "there's a pub a the top of this hill!" - I don't want to go to a sodding pub., I want to ride my bike.

For a while, I experimented with just training my myself on a spinning bike in the gym. This resolved some of the issues, but not all. It was vaguely effective as training I think, but I'm not doing it anymore because it was dull and because I'm not really training right now.
 LastBoyScout 31 Oct 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

> Constant changes of pace, position, cadence, gear... just annoying
A pure road cyclist would find that annoying, but as 50% mountain biker, I didn't - although one instructor does a very annoying stand up/sit down bit which I just ignore.

> Instructor shouting inane things such as "there's a pub a the top of this hill!" - I don't want to go to a sodding pub., I want to ride my bike.

I stopped going to one class, as the instructor was a bit of a prat and did this sort of thing, but other ones are more subtle about it.

> For a while, I experimented with just training by myself on a spinning bike in the gym. This resolved some of the issues, but not all. It was vaguely effective as training I think, but I'm not doing it anymore because it was dull and because I'm not really training right now.

I tried that and found it mind-bogglingly boring, too - I preferred the classes, as I felt I got more out of it. Mate of mine bought a spin bike from eBay and has it in his garage - no idea how much he actually uses it, though.
 Doghouse 31 Oct 2014
In reply to Oujmik:
> (In reply to Kimono)
>
> I'm not a fan, as a cyclist there are a number of things that frustrated me about RPM:
>
> Uncomfortable bikes - not very configurable, pedals too far apart, saddle too bouncy etc.
> Way too hot - even in an air conditioned room with fans, it's not nice
> Constant changes of pace, position, cadence, gear... just annoying
> Instructor shouting inane things such as "there's a pub a the top of this hill!" - I don't want to go to a sodding pub., I want to ride my bike.
>
> For a while, I experimented with just training my myself on a spinning bike in the gym. This resolved some of the issues, but not all. It was vaguely effective as training I think, but I'm not doing it anymore because it was dull and because I'm not really training right now.

I think that's because it's basically areobics on a stantionary bike, anyone who approaches it as a 'cycling' session will be sadly disappointed.
OP Kimono 31 Oct 2014
In reply to Kimono:

ok, thanks for the warnings...i shall take my cycling shoes and a towel!

I will report back later
 Oujmik 31 Oct 2014
In reply to Kimono:

Yes, definitely take a towel, and a big water bottle.
Robyn Vacher 31 Oct 2014
In reply to Kimono:

I do think it's good exercise - I sweat profusely (normally I glow quietly when I run) and I definitely feel it in my legs. However, I've not found a class I enjoy - there's one near where I live but the instructor plays appalling dance music so loud that it's difficult to hear his instructions in the booming microphone over the top. Just gives me earache. The best class I ever went to, the music was cheesy 80s pop - worked a treat.
 tjin 31 Oct 2014
Not the same as cycling, but good for the same muscles.

You will sweat so take a towel, drink and because they somehow really crank up the music; earplugs. (but depends on the instructor)
OP Kimono 31 Oct 2014
In reply to tjin:
Ok, survived!
Actually, it was all a bit too easy for me. I spoke with the instructor after and she said that she would do a specific road biker class if I could get a few people together.
I didn't like all the getting in an out f the saddle but basically it wasn't so different from biking.
As for the heat, well, I was on a 7km climb in over 40C last week so not an issue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...