UKC

Decathlon Bikes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkesley 01 Nov 2014
I am looking for a new bike for my daughter/s. They have now outgrown their smaller (20" wheel) ones, which are decent spec. (Specialized and Marin). We have a hybrid, which is the correct size for them and in decent condition. However, we have two daughters and only one suitable bike.

One of them had shown an interest in getting a road bike. However, I don't know how serious she is going to be about cycling on it. So I want to get something that isn't too expensive, but hasn't got absolutely rubbish components. Max. budget is £500, but would prefer to spend around £250. Wandering around Decathlon today I was looking at B'TWIN TRIBAN 500 SE Road, which is currently £350. Anyone have any experience of this bike, or have alternative suggestions?
 girlymonkey 01 Nov 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

I don't know this particular bike, but what age is your daughter? My observation on kids with bikes is that they often out grow them before the quality becomes an issue, or they abuse them / neglect to maintain them, to a level that the quality is irrelevant. Now, I realise your daughter may be one of the more careful types, but many are not!
 Prof. Outdoors 02 Nov 2014
In reply to wilkesley:
The Decathlon bikes have a reputation as being very good value for money.
There are some websites that might give you more information.

Link below debates the merits of Triban versus others.
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/which-btwin-triban-or-something-els...

Entering Triban in the search engine of the forum will reveal other posts re Triban.

Link below is well worth a read as it gives suggestions across the price range.
http://road.cc/content/news/72001-best-entry-level-road-bikes-under-%C2%A35...

It may be worth checking out local bike shops as this is the time of the year where they may be trying to shift 2014 bikes to make space for 2015 bikes. (Halfords are trying to change their poor reputation in the bike world by upskilling their workforce and the quality of the bikes they sell. It can be hit and miss regarding your local shop but it could be worth a look)

Would agree about being aware about not spending too much on a bike that might not fit for too long due to children growing quickly. It is, however, far more enjoyable for your child to ride a decent bike rather than half a ton of metal resembling the Forth Rail Bridge.

Happy hunting.
Post edited at 08:57
 Prof. Outdoors 02 Nov 2014
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:
If you do try Halfords their bikes are reduced by 10% until Monday.
Don't panic buy, Halfords often have reductions of 10% for limited periods. Quite often these are internet only discounts only available between 12 and 2pm.
Good friend of mine got a Boardman bike in one of these and saved £49 so it is worth it.
Post edited at 09:34
OP wilkesley 02 Nov 2014

Thanks lots of useful info. to consider. My daughters are 13 and 14 and of similar height. Whilst they will grow some more, I think I can get a frame that will last a couple of years. Our LBS is very good, I bought my son's bike and my own from them. However, they don't really have anything suitable at the moment. Hopefully I can train them to clean/look after their own bikes. Since I got him a decent road bike my son has started taking good care of his bike and is keen to learn how to fix problems himself.

What I hope to get is something I would be happy to ride myself and has good enough components to last a couple of years of moderate use.
 FrankBooth 04 Nov 2014
In reply to wilkesley:
Halfords have been selling junior versions of their Carrera bikes for under £200 recently - they're basically a scaled down version of the adult model. That said, my son is 11 and currently rides an old 21" BSA racer from the 80s, gets massive kudos from his mates!
My eldest two daughters (now 17), are twins so when they were younger, buying bikes was always a pretty expensive affair, so I've always gone down the second hand route. The nice thing is that they both still ride to college, one of them on an old mountain bike and the other on her trendy 'vintage' ladies bike.
 ByEek 04 Nov 2014
> It is, however, far more enjoyable for your child to ride a decent bike rather than half a ton of metal resembling the Forth Rail Bridge.

Are you saying that the Raleigh Grifter of the 80's was a pile of sh1t?
 mattc 05 Nov 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

I have a triban 500 it's been brill so far no complaints
 HakanT 05 Nov 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

I'm a huge fan of Decathlon in general, and I've heard good things about their bikes.

My son has an Islabike http://www.islabikes.co.uk/. Superb quality and great resell value (check on eBay).
 The New NickB 05 Nov 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

I'm a little confused about what size you are looking for.

24" - have a look at the Moda Minor at Wiggle.

Or are you looking for a small adult bike, 700c or maybe 650c?
 jethro kiernan 05 Nov 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

http://www.frogbikes.com/
a good alternative to the isla bikes
OP wilkesley 05 Nov 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I'm looking for a small adult bike (700c). They can both ride my wife's Marin OK. Can't remember the frame size now, but she is 5ft 2" and the girls are about the same size.
 The New NickB 05 Nov 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

This is about the best value road bike at the moment.

http://road.cc/content/news/131472-just-new-merlin-cycles-pr7-costing-just-...

Alu frame with carbon forks and Shimano Sora for £300.
OP wilkesley 06 Nov 2014
In reply to The New NickB:
Aaargh! I wish you hadn't posted that. It looks like an ideal winter bike. Now I need to work out how to get multiple purchases past SWMBO without her noticing that there are N+2 bikes in the garage.

Edit: Looks like I have been saved. Out of stock until March 2015.
Post edited at 17:38

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...