UKC

Fossil fuels must be phased out by 2100

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 02 Nov 2014
Report from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29855884

I'm tempted to say this is an obvious statement to make if we want to avoid catastrophic climate change, but how is the world going to eradicate fossil fuels when consumption is increasing all the time?
 wintertree 02 Nov 2014
In reply to Only a hill:
Some starters to get the ball rolling...

Complain about the actions of others whilst having lots - (more than 1) of children? I know enough people in real life who do this... Given that every single resource problem stems from the population growing faster than our environmentally friendly means....

Start funding R&D into a wide range of nuclear fusion projects - not just tokamaks and thinly disguised weapons programs - at significant levels, where significant is a lot higher than we do now.

Incremental improvement to efficiency and waste everywhere.

Reduced sense of entitlement to drive to the crag, fly abroad, have new things, use central heating or aircon.

Burry heads in sand and make it the next generations problems.

Realise the economy works for us, we do not work for it. At the moment it works us for continual growth. Which needs energy.
Post edited at 11:27
 d_b 02 Nov 2014
In reply to wintertree:

Alternatively.

1. Claim that climate change doesn't exist. Denounce anyone who disagrees.

when (1) becomes untenable resort to...

2. Admit that it might exist but isn't a problem. After all it was warmer in the Jurassic.

When it becomes apparent that it is a problem and (2) stops working.

3. Admit that it may be a problem, but it's too late to do anything so we may as well burn the rest of the oil.

While these are going on you prepare for...

4. Use all your oil wealth to establish gated communities with priveledged access to what's left of the energy and food while all the deluded peasants who believed you during stages 1, 2 and 3 starve.
 Lord_ash2000 02 Nov 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

I'd hope so as won't most of them have run out by then?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...