UKC

Buying winter boots in the SW

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm looking to buy a decent pair of winter boots, which will see me through snow and easier ice; Scottish winter and hopefully Alpine summer.

However, I live fairly near Land's End and although it's great here, there's not that much of a winter scene locally (or, indeed, winter full-stop). So I'm obviously going to have to travel a bit to find somewhere decent for fitting. Anybody know of any good shops in the south-west? Just to add scale, Bristol is nearly 400 miles round-trip.

I also have pretty wide feet, so any suggestions about good boot choices would also be gratefully received.

Martin
 PN82 03 Nov 2014
In reply to maisie:

I think Plymouth would be a good place to start, Cotswolds and go outdoors are there according to google. As its a military town there will be other outdoor shops too. I used to live in Devon so know that good outdoor shops can be difficult to find, not sure if anyone knows somewhere closer than Plymouth to you?

I have always found scarpa to be broad fitting, although the best bet is just to try on as many boots as possible, my first stop would be Cotswold in Plymouth as they should have a good selection. Good luck!
In reply to maisie:

There is a Cotswolds in Truro who should be able to get you some. Your next bet after that is Taunton leisure in Exeter.
In reply to maisie:

Wide feet, avoid La Sportivas. Try Scarpa or Zamberlan.
 Dr.S at work 04 Nov 2014
In reply to maisie:

Most shops from large chains will order stuff in for you to try - may be worth arranging to have stock in a few sizes from a few brands in when you visit - will save the massive ball ache of having to drive another few hundred miles to see if the size 41 that they did not have in stock is the right one, or if the 42 that was in stock will be the best fit...

BnB 04 Nov 2014
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

> Wide feet, avoid La Sportivas. Try Scarpa or Zamberlan.

^^^^THIS^^^^
 Tom Last 04 Nov 2014
In reply to maisie:

Hi Martin.

Cotswold Truro is better staffed and has more stock that its Plymouth counterpart imo. Possibly worth talking to Brian or Tom or Joe at The Barn too (although Tom's away at the mo') as Brian has mentioned to me before that they are able to get winter stuff in at competitive rates - possibly this extends to boots? Dunno but could be worth a try.

Cheers,
Tom
In reply to Tom Last:

Thanks to all. At the moment, I'm utterly without clue and for once in my life, I was going to rely on expert advice. I have family in the Peak, so may have a quick trip up before Christmas.

Tom, I think we may have slightly different opinions concerning Cotswold, but to be fair, I've never asked for advice on boots in there.......

The tip about The Barn is a good one, though.

Martin
 avayaman 04 Nov 2014
In reply to maisie:

Go outdoors Plymouth and Exeter.
In reply to avayaman:

> Go outdoors Plymouth and Exeter.

But do they have expert staff, or are they just places to buy at once I've made my choice? This is one of those times I'm not particularly interested in saving a few quid, against getting just what I need.

Martin
 BnB 05 Nov 2014
In reply to maisie:
Martin, my wife would scoff at your indecision and order three different B2 boots in two sizes each from a reputable online source, wear all six around the house on consecutive days , then send five of them back. Apparently this is normal behaviour.

Alternatively, have a romantic weekend in the Lake District and spend some time in Keswick and Ambleside buying boots. This will also cost you a new jacket for your partner.

From Scarpas range, which is the only one I know well as their last fits me like a glove, I'd recommend the Charmoz GTX for all round use, the Rebel Lite GTX for fast moving winter days out (it is featherlight but lacks insulation) or the Manta Pro GTX for something more durable (and heavier). You won't go wrong with any of those.
Post edited at 07:56
In reply to BnB:

> Martin, my wife would scoff at your indecision and order three different B2 boots in two sizes each from a reputable online source, wear all six around the house on consecutive days , then send five of them back. Apparently this is normal behaviour.

Can I do that?
 BnB 05 Nov 2014
In reply to maisie:
She does it regularly. The retailers don't seem to mind although you could always check with them first. I think I would take that precaution.

Or Cotswold will get them all in from their store network and you could try them on in Truro
Post edited at 12:55
 knthrak1982 05 Nov 2014
In reply to maisie:

I've got a pair of size 44 Sportiva Nepal Extremes in Liskeard. Not selling but you can try them if that's any good. Only marginally closer than plymouth I know.
In reply to knthrak1982:

That's a decent offer, thanks. We'll probably be up at the wall sometime over the next month, so if I've not managed to get anything before then I might give you a bell.

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...