UKC

Winter sockage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Pretty much as per the title: recommendations for winter socks and their combos (if I'm getting socks for Crimbo - again - they might as well be useful).

Martin
 Blue Straggler 03 Nov 2014
In reply to maisie:

Seriously...Aldi "motorcycle socks", about £2.99 a pair. I have loads, they are great. At least for one-dayers. They are a bit synthetic so might start to pong on a multi-day. But no blisters, nice and warm and dry etc. I pull these stupidly cheap thinning wool things from Morrisons over the top of them if it's really cold, but at around 0 deg, just the Aldi ones in my Scarpa Grandes Jorasses seem adequate.
In reply to maisie: Basically, whatever make of 4 season wool-based socks best suits your foot size/shape.

Most sock sizes cover a fair few shoe sizes so getting a great fit can be slightly more tricky than you might think and otherwise superb socks may end up being marginally too tight or too loose depending on your exact foot shape.

For example, size medium in Bridgedale seem to fit me better than the equivalent from Teko so I have used Bridgedale Summit for several years now.

Possibly worth trying (or even buying) a couple of different pairs then deciding what feels better.

planetmarshall 03 Nov 2014
In reply to maisie:

No idea, I just don't think 'sockage' and 'Crimbo' should pass without comment when 'sent' gets a whole thread.

Blue Straggler 03 Nov 2014
In reply to planetmarshall:

> No idea, I just don't think 'sockage' and 'Crimbo' should pass without comment when 'sent' gets a whole thread.

Hey I used to go out with someone who referred to Christmas as "Chrimble".

It didn't last.
 Billhook 03 Nov 2014
In reply to maisie:

In the shop I saw a pair of socks advertised as'; "Wool energising thermal socks" WTF is 'energising ' about wool socks?
 iksander 03 Nov 2014
In reply to maisie:

Lorpen Midweight hiker - warm enough to wear on their own and not too bulky £9
In reply to maisie:

I have a pair of Mund Everest double socks. They are probably some of the thickest socks I've seen and even after some decent use look pretty much new compared to my cheapies, which though very cheap wore out to the point of throwing away after one expedition. Size up a bit if you order though, for some reason they came quite small even though I went with the higher estimate.
 stella1 03 Nov 2014
In reply to maisie:

Smartwool socks are really good. Quite expensive but lovely and warm. I'm sat in the lounge with a pair of the mid weight ones on now and my feet are toasty.

I would just put the heating on but I have blown all my money on socks...
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Hey I used to go out with someone who referred to Christmas as "Chrimble".

> It didn't last.

Emily? Emily, is that you?

Why did you skip out on Chrimble morning, Emily? Was it the Santa tassels? Or the eggnog-flavoured lubricant?
In reply to stella1:

What the hell is smartwool, and where do I buy it?

Martin
In reply to all:

Many thanks for the suggestions - this is a whole new world of gear for me, so I'm looking forwards to getting obsessive about it. Particularly combinations.

Martin

dek 03 Nov 2014
In reply to maisie:
> (In reply to stella1)
>
> What the hell is smartwool, and where do I buy it?
>
> Martin

If you can get into a Costco discount warehouse, they have smartwool merino socks, 4 pairs for a tenner.
(Also sell softshell's, gloves, fleece, some N/F downie stuff in winter too)
andymac 03 Nov 2014
In reply to maisie:
> Pretty much as per the title: recommendations for winter socks and their combos (if I'm getting socks for Crimbo - again - they might as well be useful).

> Martin

All socks are useful ,unless there's holes in them.

A bit like tights and fishnets.

Stopped wearing them now.

Post edited at 18:58
 stella1 03 Nov 2014
In reply to maisie:

It's a brand. They are merino wool.

http://m.cotswoldoutdoor.com/smartwool-mens-mountaineering-extra-heavy-sock...

They're great, not entirely sure why they are "smart" though.
 Mark Edwards 03 Nov 2014
In reply to maisie:

Just bought a new pair of DM’s for taking the dogs out. Bought a pair 1 size larger than normal (+ thick socks). So my new ‘outer socks’ are a pair of tight moccasins for the odd dry/frozen days and 2.5mm neoprene dive socks for the wet and muddy months.
 marsbar 03 Nov 2014
In reply to maisie:
https://www.sockshop.co.uk/products/mens-thorlo-hiking-thick-cushion-socks-...

These are amazing. Expensive but they last well (as long as your child doesn't borrow them and lose one :- )

I have the woman's version and replaced with the same after 15 years they were getting worn!

However I can't wear wool (it itches) so I haven't tried the alternatives.

If you do want to get the Costco ones I am happy to post them to you if you don't have a Costco.
In reply to marsbar:

I may take you up on the Costco socks. It's not a chain which has made it as far as Penzance.

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...