UKC

Video: Some £$%^ New Climbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wft 03 Nov 2014
Neil Furniss has been collecting footage for a film on Grit climbing over the past few years. A few classics and a lot of esoterica, have a watch.

Headpoints, onsights, flashes, ground ups and lots of juicy falls.

vimeo.com/110715065

no driving to the crag, no making coffee, just the climbing

if the music is not your thing click this link and have it playing in the background instead

youtube.com/watch?v=OdIJ2x3nxzQ&
 Tom Last 03 Nov 2014
In reply to GuyVG:

Nice one, that was great.
 deacondeacon 04 Nov 2014
In reply to GuyVG:
Best climbing vid since Hard Grit.
Well good
The "cover me in chocolate..." Footage is excellent.
Post edited at 06:26
 Andy Peak 1 04 Nov 2014
In reply to GuyVG:

Inspirational! Loved every minuet. Im going to go out and try a bit harder because of that Rite up there with a grit stone year.
 The Pylon King 04 Nov 2014
In reply to GuyVG:

Is it the norm to have mats halfway up the routes now?
OP Wft 04 Nov 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

what do you think?

In reply to GuyVG:

I think its a bit odd.
 Puppythedog 04 Nov 2014
In reply to GuyVG:

Great video, thanks, that's gotten me rather psyched. Can't do much about it right now but I am psyched none the less.
OP Wft 04 Nov 2014

I agree, but they're not our legs
In reply to GuyVG:

Yes, thats fair enough. Maybe trad ascents will multiple mats should just be given french grades, like DWS?
 deacondeacon 04 Nov 2014
If the climber wants to put pads on a route, then they can put pads on a route. Simple.

In reply to GuyVG:

I woke up at 5:30 this morning thinking I was still in Australia, watching this made the jet lag seem worthwhile...
OP Wft 04 Nov 2014

Didn't Johnny call it Deep Foam Soloing? I like that, S3s all round in this video.

OP Wft 04 Nov 2014
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKC:

get out Rob you ripper, it looks like a morning to write home about
In reply to GuyVG:

> Didn't Johnny call it Deep Foam Soloing? I like that, S3s all round in this video.

Yeah i like that too!!
 ericinbristol 04 Nov 2014
In reply to GuyVG:

Off topic but I like your blog. Wouldn't take much for it to be really strong. Keep up the good work.

Sherlock 04 Nov 2014
In reply to GuyVG:

Cracking wee film,thanks for posting!
In reply to GuyVG:

Watched a couple of minutes and it looks awesome... lovin' the tunes!

I'll look forward to the full version at lunchtime
 JR 04 Nov 2014
In reply to Andy Peak 1:

Good to see "a gritstone year" held in such high regard!
 stella1 04 Nov 2014
In reply to GuyVG:

Awesome video I love the one arm pull up at about 9:30. Great stuff.
 hands solo 04 Nov 2014
In reply to GuyVG:
good vid.. its all about the old skool D&B
Post edited at 13:06
 Cake 04 Nov 2014
In reply to hands solo:
Some good footage of what look like really bold routes in the main. Well done guys for keeping on churning them out (not that it's a chore)

Cake
 Bobling 04 Nov 2014
In reply to GuyVG:

Great watch, loved the tunes, oldskool DnB, a bit of Aphex and the Pixies - did you steal my 'pod to make this?
 kermit_uk 04 Nov 2014
In reply to GuyVG:

It's a great video Neil and Mark have been relentless, I've held a rope or a camera a few times for them but they've been non stop with this and it's great to see such variety on film! Also Vimeo lets you download it!
 Scott Anderson 04 Nov 2014
Wow I don't often post anything on UKC but that was excellent! One of the best grit vids I've seen!

Cover me in chocolate was really gripping, cracking video!!

Wish I could try that hard!

Well done!
Lusk 05 Nov 2014
In reply to fifth:

Let's get Killed was my favourite.
Even recognised the crag!
 Michael Hood 05 Nov 2014
In reply to GuyVG: Great video, on the routes I didn't recognize I was always thinking "ooh, where's that?".

Of course I've now blown the onsight on loads of E6/7s - not that I'll ever be looking at them anyway

Couple of points...

1. Not a criticism, but lots of the climbing was done with pre-placed gear (e.g. Appointment with Fear), is this becoming more common at these grades or was it partly to allow smooth quick climbing for shorter video clips?

2. Please could we have a similar video of easier routes for us punters; e.g. one of E1/E2 classics, or the HVS nasties, not done by wads soloing them but by climbers just doing nice smooth ascents - and maybe falling off if it's too hard for them - it would be much more motivating for us punters to see routes we aspire to rather than routes that are out of reach - and it would provide lots of useful beta

OP Wft 05 Nov 2014
In reply to Michael Hood:

Hi Michael,

1. You'd have to ask the climbers who made the film, one of them posts on here occasionally. I'd guess at least some of it might be ground up attempts where the ropes have been pulled for the next go.

2. People tend to film what they're doing so if you want to see a video like the one you've suggested grab a camera/smartphone and get filming, it's never been easier to both film and edit something together. Especially if you just want wander along an edge on a dry weekend.

thommi 05 Nov 2014
In reply to GuyVG:
Great to see someone on Dharma!! and agadoo!!
Post edited at 12:38
 Nomisr 09 Nov 2014
In reply to GuyVG:

Excellent ! Great edit. Thanks for posting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...