UKC

Spotify 'Premium' users...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Glyno 04 Nov 2014
Hopefully someone could explain how 'downloading' works on Spotify premium?

I understand that for 9.99 per month you can download music to listen to offline, this is good as it means you can listen to previously downloaded stuff when in remote locations that don't have internet access. Now, I doubt these are mp3 files that you're downloading as surely no-one would ever again need to pay for music (apart from the Spotify monthly fee) meaning a massive loss of revenue to the music industry?
Is it that you download files that will only play through the Spotify app? That would make sense. And if so, can you copy these files to other devices, ie, from you phone to your laptop and vice versa?

...Or maybe I'm totally wrong?

Thanks in advance for any clarification,
Glyn.
 Pewtle 04 Nov 2014
In reply to Glyno:

Downloaded songs can only be played through the Spotify app. The good news is that they have an app for pretty much anything you want to play music through (phone, tablet etc) so it's not really an issue.

If you have a lot of spare time, you can find a way of circumventing the copy prevention and ripping the audio files so you can put them anywhere and them on anything. TBH though I don't know why you would bother, given how available and easy the apps are to use.
OP Glyno 04 Nov 2014
In reply to Pewtle:

Brilliant, thanks! I was thinking mainly of being able to play music via bluetooth in my car without having to stream (thus not having to use my data allowance), I take it this would be feasible?
 lynda 04 Nov 2014
In reply to Glyno:

If your car and phone can do this (say for iTunes) then yes. I have to do it through an AUX cable, but works fine for me.
OP Glyno 04 Nov 2014
In reply to lynda:

...and 'obviously' the files are stored on whatever device you use to download them, otherwise you wouldn't be able to play them offline?
OP Glyno 04 Nov 2014
In reply to lynda:

> If your car and phone can do this (say for iTunes) then yes. I have to do it through an AUX cable, but works fine for me.

yes it can, I often play downloaded podcasts on longer journeys this way
 pog100 04 Nov 2014
In reply to Glyno:

Yes, it works fine. Files are downloaded and then play well through Bluetooth. However, I would also look at Google Play Music, which has the same deal, at the same price and to my mind has a wider range of music available. The apps are pretty good for either Spotify or Google Play.
 lynda 04 Nov 2014
In reply to Glyno:

They must be. Haven't really looked into it because it just works A bit lazy I know, but who has the time?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...