UKC

Lane Discipline

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 04 Nov 2014
Having recently started using a push bike again, mainly to supplement my gym regime, I'm building up my pedal confidence by riding along a designated cycleway on the local prom.

The other day I was out and, as usual, I was keeping to the left. I was amazed however at the number of cyclists coming towards me on the wrong side. Surely there is as much need to keep to the left on a cycle lane as there is on the road.
 Guy 04 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Had a few of these as well. I can only conclude that they think they are pedestrians and ride as such. In the USA everyone walks on the right just like they drive. Over here people walk everywhere and I think this is what the cyclists do especially if they don't drive as well.
 ThunderCat 04 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> Having recently started using a push bike again, mainly to supplement my gym regime, I'm building up my pedal confidence by riding along a designated cycleway on the local prom.

> The other day I was out and, as usual, I was keeping to the left. I was amazed however at the number of cyclists coming towards me on the wrong side. Surely there is as much need to keep to the left on a cycle lane as there is on the road.

I've been cycling regularly (commuting and leisure) for about 6 years and it's not something I've ever noticed...until the last 3-4 weeks when I seem to have noticed a spate of it. It's either some craze that's suddenly gone viral, or I've simply not noticed it.
 nufkin 05 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> cyclists coming towards me on the wrong side

Cycling's done in metric (road cycling, anyway) - stands to reason the continental lane discipline previls too
 AlisonSmiles 05 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

They've probably ended up pushed over to the right by walkers earlier on and haven't reverted to the left!
 Chris the Tall 05 Nov 2014
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

Yep, that happens a lot. Bikes are far more manoeuvrable than cars so there is less need for lane discipline unless there are a lot of bikes around. In much the same way as the need for lane discipline amongst pedestrians only becomes an issue if there are lots of them. And when mountain biking, I always think the cyclist going uphill has priority and should choose their best line - left or right never seems to come into it.
OP mypyrex 09 Nov 2014
LATEST!
Cycling along the cycle track today - a huge great car with Mr. & Mrs sitting in it eating butties parked FULLY on the cycle lane. Gggrrrr.
 cathsullivan 10 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I've noticed this on cycle paths too. I often feel more nervous on the shared use cycle path near me than on the road because on the road the other moving objects tend to behave in slightly more predictable ways.
OP mypyrex 10 Nov 2014
In reply to cathsullivan:

This wasn't even a cycle lane along a road. It's a dedicated lane along the otherwise pedestrianised promenade which really made it all the more annoying
 ewar woowar 10 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> This wasn't even a cycle lane along a road. It's a dedicated lane along the otherwise pedestrianised promenade which really made it all the more annoying

Bunny-hop onto the roof Peter Sagan stylee?

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/peter-sagan-parks-a-bike-on-the-...
 Brass Nipples 10 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I think the cycling on the right is a generational thing. Many didn't learn to cycle a a child, didn't do bike ability. So base it on walking against traffic. Shared cycle lanes certainly aren't for getting anywhere in a reasonable cycle time.
KevinD 10 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
> This wasn't even a cycle lane along a road. It's a dedicated lane along the otherwise pedestrianised promenade which really made it all the more annoying

And the pedestrians respect it? Thats rather unusual.
The lack of clear direction, random changes is why many keener cyclists dont particularly like cycle paths. Still so long as you keep the speed down they have their purpose.
Only thing that really annoys me on them are out of control dogs. Annoy me when walking as well but when cycling they become positively dangerous.
Post edited at 20:35

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...