UKC

Group interview - Any wisdom?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SteveoS 05 Nov 2014
I have an interview in the next couple of days at a well known outdoor gear chain. Whilst I find one to one interviews no problem, this one is a group interview and I have never been to one before.

I was wondering if anyone has any pearls of wisdom or gone through the same process?
 ByEek 05 Nov 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

Not done anything like that myself but if this is for a job in a shop but I would imagine a group interview situation is looking to see people engage the group, being confident and speaking coherently and authoritatively about specific subject matter. Also being prepared to listen to what others are saying etc etc. Basically how do you work in a group situation.
 tony 05 Nov 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

> I was wondering if anyone has any pearls of wisdom or gone through the same process?

Don't be overtly competitive, don't get stroppy, and avoid winding people up.
Group interviews are about seeing you how you act and interact with other people. You need to demonstrate you can disagree with someone without being arsey, that you can persuade people they're wrong without them getting the hump and without you appearing to be in it to score points.
You'll need to show you can sell things - ideas as much as items - by being positive.
Don't interrupt people when they're speaking, even if they're talking bollocks. Stay calm and positive, take your time and try to behave in the way you would expect to treated in a shop as a customer.
If someone asks what you think is a stupid question, don't be afraid to ask for clarification, and if someone asks you something to which you don't know the answer, don't make up an answer to fill the space - be honest.

Good luck!
Robyn Vacher 05 Nov 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

Avoid being negative or challenging in a Clever Dick kind of way (saying controversial things just to try to sound clever).

If you're addressing the whole group, include them all in your address (look at them all).

Think about using your body language to your advantage. Don't lean forward and shout to be heard. Sit upright and talk in a level that all can hear. . Avoid a defensive posture with arms crossed, have your hands relaxed in your lap.

Be positive and aware of others' contributions

abseil 05 Nov 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

I've been through them, and I've also run a lot of them. My wisdom (ha!) is try not to say too much or too little (about average or slightly more is a good aim), listen carefully to what others say and respond to it, show respect for the others in the group and acknowledge what they say, and if you have to do a task try to contribute towards completing the task in a constructive way.

Good luck!
 Bulls Crack 05 Nov 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

do you mean a group of interviewees or just you and several interviewers?
Robyn Vacher 05 Nov 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

That would just be a panel interview not a group interview
 marsbar 05 Nov 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

If they give you a task to do in a set time, then make sure you keep an eye on the clock and keep the task moving.
 ChrisRGX 05 Nov 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

I include group activities as part of my interview process. Usually, I give the group some lateral thinking style of task to see how everyone works together (or not!). It's a great way of seeing another side of the candidates that you wouldn't see in a one to one or panel interview.

My advice would be similar to above. Don't try too hard to impress and try and contribute constructively to the activity. If you think you've got an answer or a good idea, put it across to the group. If you haven't, don't try and make something up because you think you should. Generally, interviewers are looking for people who can work well in a group rather than people who try and control things, are competitive or too quiet. I've had people that talk for the sake of talking (Apprentice style) and that always comes across badly (unless you're actually going on the Apprentice!)

I've also been through the same process and ended up taking on a more "organising" role as others in the group had better ideas but no one was looking at the clock or giving the quieter candidates the opportunity to speak. It must have helped as I ended up getting the job!!

Hope that helps. Good luck

Chris
OP SteveoS 05 Nov 2014
In reply to ChrisRGX:

All advice much appreciated from everyone, feel ready for it now.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.
 Skol 05 Nov 2014
In reply to SteveoS:
Don't be overbearing and bossy to your fellow interviewees. Discuss with them and show your a team player .
moffatross 05 Nov 2014
>"a team player"<

Shudders ! I hate that phrase.

Skol 05 Nov 2014
In reply to moffatross:

Me too, and other corporate buzzwords and phrases.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...