UKC

Lake District Multipitch in the Rain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BnB 05 Nov 2014
Heading to the Lakes Friday for a day trip and was planning to climb VS but forecast says no. Any recommendations for easy multipitch in South-Eastern lakes or that will go (easily) in the wet? Wallowbarrow is one but I've swum up the VDiffs there already. Must be juggy as my partner starts bleating if his shoes get wet. Kentmere? Longsleddale? Coniston? Langdale? Thirlmere? SE quadrant basically... Recommendations gratefully received.
In reply to BnB:

If you don't mind a wee drive Corvus in Borrowdale is best done in the pissing rain!
S
 pec 05 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:
Corvus in Borrowdale is the classic do in the rain route of the Lakes but its not in the SE.
I once did Gimmer Chimney in the rain, 20+ years ago now so I can't remember any detail of the route except that we had a good time and didn't have an epic. The Crescent Climb (mod) and Gwynne's Chimney (diff) combination on Pavey Ark may be worth considering as well.
Middlefell Buttress on Raven Crag also "goes" in any condition and can be used as an approach to Gimmer.
Unfortunately the easy Dow Crag classics Giant's Crawl and C Ordinary both have specific warnings in the guide about how desperate they become when wet so probably best avoided.
Post edited at 20:40
 John Kelly 06 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:
Anything that gets a lot of traffic should be ok

Paradoxically, in the wet, polished (clean) rock has better friction than the surrounding, less travelled, imperceivably lichenous stuff
(it's only in the wet you find out how often you pad up/ lean on the lichenous stuff)

Raven crag - Holly tree traverse is ok
Scout - Route One - more adventurous - less gear
White Ghyll - slip knot - IMO start p2 is crux in wet - fettle it with sling above you on overhanging lip

some descents are very serious in wet
Post edited at 06:05
 tmawer 06 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:

Truss Buttress, Kennel Wall and Hindleg Crack at Swindale perhaps?
 alan moore 06 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:

Gimmer Chimney is surprisingly straightforward in the rain; although a lot of it does get spouted down onto your head.

Crecent climb is OK, although have been spat out of Gwynnes Chimney...
punterpete 06 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:
I did savernake on raven crag in Langdale last summer in the rain and that was ok.
In reply to BnB:

I once did Deer Bield Chimney years ago in near monsoon conditions, with the top pitch banked out with snow. Thank goodness much of the crag has fallen down to spare others from the ordeal.

I know it's not in the SE, but Lorton Gully on Grassmoor is classed as a grade 3 scramble, and turns in to an epic in the wet.
OP BnB 06 Nov 2014
In reply to Stephen Reid - Needle Sports:

Some great suggestions here thanks everyone.

It's a quick smash and grab from West Yorkshire so trying to avoid an extra hours driving each way, thereby discounting Raven in Borrowdale etc. Funnily enough I climbed the excellent Swindale/Gouther routes only a month or two back along with the Fang et al. Already climbed Giant's Crawl in the pouring rain and loved it so not deterred by slippery wet rock (but my buddy is!!) Perhaps it will have to be something in Langdale.
 Simon Caldwell 06 Nov 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

> Scout - Route One - more adventurous - less gear

I climbed Zero Route in the pouring rain the other week, and that one's also fine (though a bit run out). Though you'd probably want to avoid the first pitch on the right as it's covered in thick moss and slime.
In reply to BnB:

>Must be juggy as my partner starts bleating if his shoes get wet.

Struggling to follow the logic of that!

Reminds me of my partner's sympathetic observation to me once when I was bleating about how some hold was wet and was making things hard, 'It's a f***ing jug, John. F***king jugs hold f***ing water."

jcm
OP BnB 06 Nov 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

So his hands can hold on when his feet cannot!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...