UKC

Waterproof socks or not?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 05 Nov 2014
Ive got wool socks for running but after a while even they get cold when they are wet, Ive tried some military mvp socks (goretex analogue) but they get wet fairly soon - and its not through sweat build up either im pretty sure.

So for general off road running or cycling, has anyone any suggestions that have worked for them?
Removed User 06 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Last winter I discovered Sealskinz waterproof socks (about £30 - £35 a pair) which I wear for winter walking over a thin liner sock. Seems to work well. I have two pairs which I alternate. Only one winter so far soIi can't comment on long-term durability but they haven't leaked so far.
 hamsforlegs 06 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Always found running and cycling quite different.

For running I've found light footwear and standard light wool running socks were fine. The trick is to have a combo that dries out quickly when you are out of the deepest soggy/wet stuff. I suffer from cold hands and feet, but have found that as long as I'm generally wrapped up well enough I can cope with feet getting wet and dry during a run. I can't imagine a solution that would avoid moisture altogether from both inside and out?

For cycling I always found the chilling effect of rushing air made wet feel utterly desperate once the temps got into low single digits. For that I used to go for the classic approach of a thin plastic bag between two pairs of socks. When it's cold enough for this to be an issue, I rarely found sweaty feet to be a problem.

Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...