UKC

Stanage is now on Google Street View

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Arkle 06 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Although as a climber, you might find the BMC Zoomtopo more useful.
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/zoomtopo/stanage/
You can remove or filter the route lines using the buttons on the right.
In reply to ByEek:

Dan has written about this here as well - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=69285

Alan
 Carless 06 Nov 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

That's a very fine piece of work - specially the guy posing on top of Censor
 The Pylon King 06 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Wow!! it wont be long before we don't have to ever go out of our house, we can get the full experience on our computer. Bring it on!
 Brass Nipples 06 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

When you can click on an arrow and street view your way up a route, then truly, the onsite will be gone.
 GrahamD 07 Nov 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

What a great distraction from work !

Interesting that it doesn't have all the routes in the BMC guide to Stanage. What was the rationale for including a route (or not)?
 ChrisJD 07 Nov 2014
In reply

Pah!

All these pale into insignificance compared with the most important crag in the UK ;-0

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3519053,-1.4849967,3a,75y,183.74h,92.9t/d...
 hang_about 07 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Not sure I fancy the abseil from Heather Wall
 RedFive 07 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Thanks, that's a great link. Is it always that busy?

The armchair climbers on here will have a field day.
OP ByEek 07 Nov 2014
In reply to DefenderKen:

> Thanks, that's a great link. Is it always that busy?

Busy? That is a very quiet day. If you think that is busy, you would be horrified to see it on a bank holiday weekend!
 Michael Hood 07 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek: Actually some of the BH weekends are surprisingly quiet - you can even do loads of classics at the popular end - but don't tell anybody
 Simon Caldwell 07 Nov 2014
In reply to Michael Hood:

Quite a lot of the honeypots seem to be relatively quiet on BH weekends - presumably everyone assumes the worst and goes elsewhere. Langdale was less busy last August Bank Holiday than it was on a wet and windy weekend a month later.
OP ByEek 07 Nov 2014
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

That's because you have to pay for parking and most climbers are tight like that!
 deepsoup 07 Nov 2014
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
Presumably that'll be the phenomenon known as a crowd inversion.
 RedFive 07 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

I mainly climb (bumble) around my native Northumberland crags so I would come out in hives if I turned up and saw that. I have been to Stanage once, but it was mid-week and only around half a dozen parties at the pop end so must have been lucky.

I was at Bowden Doors a couple of Fridays ago, blue sky day and we had the whole place to ourselves

OP ByEek 10 Nov 2014
In reply to DefenderKen:

I wouldn't get too much of a hang up about Stanage. You just have to climb wisely. On busy days, you can move down its 4km length and find a whole section to yourself with little difficulty. It tends not to get too busy before lunch so an early start is good for the classics and of course, it is one of the best crags of its kind in the whole of Europe so it would be a shame to discount it on account of its popularity. I never tire of Stanage.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...