UKC

Harness issues

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Edvenables 08 Nov 2014
I'm having a bit of trouble finding a harness that fits.

I have a small waist, but quite large thighs and hips. I find with most harnesses, in order to get the waist belt above my hips the leg loops get pulled right up into my groin. If I tighten up the leg loops to prevent them from being pulled up, the belay loop pulls down the waist belt and makes it difficult to move.

Anyone else have this issue? Know a harness with a longer belay loop?

Thanks
 Wil Treasure 08 Nov 2014
In reply to Edvenables:

Have you tried any women's models? Harnesses with 2 waist buckles might help too as they usually have a larger range of adjustment. Or you can forget about pulling the harness on and undo the waist completely to fit it, saving the problem of getting it over your hips.
OP Edvenables 08 Nov 2014
In reply to drysori:

Tried some women's models, found they fit a lot worse
 RoK 08 Nov 2014
In reply to Edvenables:

There's a Metolius harness that has an adjustable rise that might sort your issue.
 JoshOvki 08 Nov 2014
In reply to Edvenables:

One of my friends had the same issue trying to find a harness. She contacted DMM and they made her a harness with the medium leg loops but the small waist band. It was the same price as normal, so it might be worth a try? She did work in an outdoor shop so you might have to order it through someone else mind.
In reply to Edvenables:

In my experience Black Diamond fit much better in this regard.
 petegunn 08 Nov 2014
In reply to Edvenables:

I am surprised that manufactures of harnesses don't offer a service to exchange the legs loops (bigger or smaller) to enable the customer to get the right fit.

Luckily for me when my partner and I buy harnesses, we try to buy the same ones, one in small another in medium and we then swap over the leg loops.

In reply to Edvenables: As another poster has mentioned the 'rise' is the distance between waist and leg loops.

The rise is generally longer on women's harness so it is worth keeping looking at them. However Metolius is unfortunately the only manufacturer to specifically make a harness where you can adjust the rise separately.

If the issue is the rise height, swapping leg loops probably won't work with most harnesses. It might be worth looking at some of the newer Black Diamond harnesses as their latest 'trakFIT' leg loop adjustment system has the side effect of altering the rise height slightly but equally that might mean they are even worse rather than better.

However, I can sympathise as I can never find harnesses that fit either, although for almost the opposite reasons.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...