UKC

lightweight tripod

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 buzby 10 Nov 2014
could anyone recommend a decent lightweight tripod for using for some solo summit shots on a munro round. the heaviest camera would only be a bridge camera so it wouldn't have to support any heavy dslrs.
looking for something that would be full height and reasonably light and compact .
thanks in advance.
Bellie 10 Nov 2014
In reply to buzby:

I have a Manfrotto Modo tripod for when I need lightweight. I originally got it for a Bridge camera. Full height and packs small. Some end of line versions on Amazon at £40.
OP buzby 10 Nov 2014
In reply to Bellie:

will have a look at that , thanks mate.
 PPP 10 Nov 2014
In reply to buzby:

Probably it's not what you are looking for, but I have been using Manfrotto MP3-D01 for last half of dozen years while a proper tripod stayed at home most of the time!
In reply to buzby:

one of the larger gorilla pods?
Dorq 10 Nov 2014
In reply to buzby:

I prefer the Pedco Ultrapod II to the Gorilla Pod things, which didn't work for me. You can take the rubber feet off to make it even lighter! Needlesports used to sell them but Tamarack Outdoors appear to have them in stock?

The problem with tabletop-tripods outdoors, especially on mountains, is finding somewhere high enough to set up when you are on the peak. Also, if you are on a ridge in winter, lying down to compose the shot is at best messy, at worst you might be on ice and snow and taking your spiked feet off the ground to lie down and compose the shot on a ridge can be dodgy. Trig points suddenly appear useful.

I would recommend something that gets waist high if poss, or a camera with a tilting screen.
moffatross 10 Nov 2014
In reply to buzby:

I've given up with taking a tripod to summits as more often than not, it's way too windy to be useful. I now use one of those beanbags with a built-in tripod screw attachment, and try to find a strategic rock etc to place it on. It's much more stable, less faff and is easier to carry than a tripod.
 BethanWhite 11 Nov 2014
In reply to buzby:
If you search for "Lightweight Universal Travel Tripod" on a well-known auction site and select the first option that comes up (£10.99), I can report that I used that successfully last week in Morocco while my heavyweight Manfrotto stayed at home.

It was recommended to me by a friend who took one travelling with him this year. I have to say I was pretty impressed given the origin and the price. I expected it to be at best a disposable item but it performed well and at sub-500g it was impressive for both its ability to hold a DSLR (Canon 700D) and its ability to pack into hold luggage alongside a full rack, 60m rope and a week's worth of clothes! It'll be coming out again and again until it's destructed and requires replacing.
 Only a hill 11 Nov 2014
In reply to BethanWhite:

I've been thinking about getting a tripod and that looks like a great recommendation — thanks!
OP buzby 11 Nov 2014
In reply to BethanWhite:

thanks for all the info, ended up ordering the one bethan recommended , at 11 bucks with free postage and under 500g its got to be worth a punt.
OP buzby 14 Nov 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

well mine arrived today, it actually looks very good for 11 bucks which included the postage, wasn't expecting too much but it seems ok and feels very lightweight.
 BethanWhite 17 Nov 2014
In reply to buzby:
Let me know how you get on (and how long it lasts...). I was also impressed by the quality for the price (at that price I thought it was worth a punt but wasn't expecting too much), hence the recommendation. It lasted well for a week in Morocco. I won't have a chance to use mine outdoors for a while - would be interested to know how much abuse it really can take before it's destroyed!
OP buzby 17 Nov 2014
In reply to BethanWhite:

will do thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...