UKC

Lighting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RJP 11 Nov 2014
Good morning,

I have been using my Alpkit Gamma as my "primary" head torch for the past year although in reality I have been intending to have the Gamma as my backup with a better head torch for main use. I do a mix of camping, walking and climbing, with trips to the Alps.

I am open to suggestions on what headtorch I should look towards. Currently the Silva Ninox II is looking to be regarded quite highly as a good all rounder?

Cost wise, I'm hoping I will achieve something appropriate for around £60. Feasible?

Regards,
 splat2million 11 Nov 2014
In reply to RJP:

I have a Petzl XP2 with the Core battery pack which I find excellent. It is light, has a very good amount and spread of light, and long battery life (and I believe the core is customisable although never bother with that feature). Core can easily be removed so normal AAA batteries can be used as backup, but for regular use it charges up by USB cable (which I find essential because I know its fully charged before I head out in to the hills without having to change half-full batteries). Overall it is an brilliant all-round head-torch.

I also have a Petzl MyoRXP which is also good, but bigger and bulkier and does not have a nice USB charger. Also backup batteries are AA which take up a little more weight and space than AAA. On high it is really very bright, casting a wider area of light than most torches, and the design deflects light from going directly in your eyes. It gives the best lighting of any head-torch I've used. I will use this to climb in the evening, or for car-camping where the little extra weight and bulkiness are less important. I also use it in MR where a very wide light field is useful.
OP RJP 13 Nov 2014
In reply to splat2million:

Thanks for the reply - I will certainly investigate those options!

Regards,
Dorq 13 Nov 2014
In reply to RJP:

If the Ninox II has the same dual light spread pattern and battery indicator as the Trail Runner II, then I would say it is an excellent head torch. They look as though they use the same bulb arrangement, just that the TR2 has the battery pack at the rear. As you don't mention running, the lighter Ninox may be the one and balance not a problem. Apparently the battery compartment cover on the Ninox is 'fiddly' (It's fine on the TR2). On/off button is good, has a silicone strip for grip, strap can be removed.

There is a rechargeable version of the TR2 but I don't think spare rechargeable batteries are as easily and reasonably available for the Silva headlamps as they are for the Petzl ones - emails to Silva about this garnered zero response.

I normally use Petzl but I like the Silva lighting technology, in the above models, more.
 The Potato 13 Nov 2014
In reply to RJP:

I sold my petzl xp2 as it was not as good as the Alpkit gamma, the battery lasted longer but that was the only plus point for me.
 Billy the fish 13 Nov 2014
In reply to RJP:

Have a look for the cree headtoches on the auction site. The 1600Lm ones are blinding on full beam and they're cheap.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...