UKC

Unable to use Dry ice tools in Sheffield

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 g taylor 12 Nov 2014
Just a quick warning for any Sheffield residents hoping to purchase dry ice training tools...(http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=599797)

You cant use them at any of the Sheffield Lead walls.

Cheers,

George

sbattams 12 Nov 2014
In reply to g taylor:

Any idea why this might be?

They look great fun as long as you dont drop them on your buddy below.
OP g taylor 12 Nov 2014
In reply to sbattams:

Insurance I should imagine, They cant control people from dropping though (although it would be sensible to wear umbilical). I suspect the relatively few people interested in using them doesn't warrant the premium risk.

winhill 12 Nov 2014
In reply to g taylor:

I've seen people using figfours at nottingham and awesome stockport has an old telegraph pole available sometimes.
 George Fisher 12 Nov 2014
In reply to sbattams:

> Any idea why this might be?

> They look great fun as long as you dont drop them on your buddy below.

I think it's largely down to the fact that it's a relatively new idea. We always intended that the tools be used with umbilical leashes and are tethered to your harness. That way you can't drop them more that a couple of feet.

We have many walls using them here and in the US. I'm sure they'll become more common and widely accepted.

They are great fun and open up the whole wall to new possibilities. Even very easy routes can become new challenging projects.
 Skipinder 12 Nov 2014
In reply to g taylor:

Redpoint in Birmingham allow them to be used - they cordon off a small sector and there is an umbilical.
 JMarkW 13 Nov 2014
In reply to g taylor:

A bloke was using them at the foundry a few days ago. They were clipped to him as well so can't see it being a big problem?

Mind you looked completely pointless.

cheers
mark
In reply to Mark Westerman:

Must be just George then
OP g taylor 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

What about the works... can I use them there!?
 Neil Williams 26 Nov 2014
In reply to sbattams:
That's the problem. Really if they are being used (and so could easily be dropped either on a belayer or on a climber on an adjacent wall) everyone needs to be wearing helmets.

When I've seen them in use on walls it's been on a barricaded off area with only one route in use.

I suppose ensuring an umbilical is used would help - but could they still belt someone on an adjacent wall?

Neil
Post edited at 13:48
In reply to g taylor:

Hi we have just finished the first British Tooling Series ( http://www.britishtooling.org ) with five rounds 2 in Scotland 1 in Wales and 2 in England. You can dry tool at the Leeds Wall and Rope Race in Marple just give them a ring to see about availability.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...