UKC

easy to reach scrambles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rustynath 12 Nov 2014
Hi guys,

A family member really wants to have a go at some easy scrambling whilst we are in the lakes.

Trouble is that he is he has several medical conditions which make it very difficult for him to climb a steep hillside or path, and if he does he would not have the energy to then scramble.

Any suggestions of craggy hillsides near to a road or car park suitable for me to take him to that a novice could have a go on?

Many thanks!
redsonja 13 Nov 2014
In reply to rustynath:

Holme Fell, near Coniston, has a really good scramble which starts just a couple of hundred metres from where you park. Its Grade 1 and on lovely grippy rock
 Mark Eddy 13 Nov 2014
In reply to rustynath:

As mentioned, the scramble on Holme fell is a good place to start. Look in the Cicerone scrambling guide to the lakes (south) for Raven crag, Yewdale.
Long crag just above Coniston village is also a good one, overall it's a little easier than the Yewdale scramble.

The Bell from Walna scar is also very easy to access and great fun at a similar grade to the above.

Border End (i think that's the right name) at the top of Hardknott pass is as roadside as it gets and around grade 1 - 2
 maxsmith 13 Nov 2014
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

raven crag it is very easily accessible but it's a grade 2...
as above the bell and long crag would be perfect.
 Ramblin dave 13 Nov 2014
In reply to rustynath:

If gill scrambling is okay then Hause Gill near Honister is a nice little expedition. Roadside and fairly escapable, but with lots of fun little sections.
 dan wisey 13 Nov 2014
In reply to rustynath:

How about Mill Gill behind the New Dungeon Gill. Short walk to where its worth starting then a nice grade 1, obviously you can dog out any section and walk round if you need to. Plenty of options to include other scrambles in the area too.
OP rustynath 13 Nov 2014

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

We went to border end this morning and had great fun on the many small outcrops around there.

Given how well we got on, I'm sure we will be visiting many of the other suggestions before too long.

Cheers
Rustynath
Post edited at 14:36

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...