UKC

SPOTY

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GrahamD 13 Nov 2014
I can't think of a single worthy candidate this year, can you ? (of sufficient profile to have a realistic chance, that is - otherwise you would give Shauna a shout)
In reply to GrahamD:

Mcillroy? Hamilton?
OP GrahamD 13 Nov 2014
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Probably between those two. Especially if Hamilton's car doesn't blow up !

Who are the women they are going to shoehorn into the process ? Laura Trott possibly
 Bob 13 Nov 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

The problem is the "personality" bit
XXXX 13 Nov 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Commonwealth Games and European Athletics this year. Mo Farah did the double again, won GNR and did the London marathon. Triathlon might get a candidate or two in, the Brownlees and Jodie Stimpson did well in Glasgow.

Jo Pavey - 10km European Champion at 40.

I think there's plenty.
OP GrahamD 13 Nov 2014
In reply to XXXX:

Just spoilt by the 2012 / 2013 crop I guess.
 Blue Straggler 13 Nov 2014
In reply to XXXX:

Pavey sprung to mind for me, as she is the only sporting "name" of 2014 that I've heard! Simple criterion, yes.

I'd vote Alizé Lim in the international category for getting a wild card entry to the French Open, getting knocked out fairly easily in straight sets, and looking unfeasibly beautiful whilst doing so She does actually have a personality too, she is funny. Yeah. I like her for her personality, that's it. Honest.
 Banned User 77 13 Nov 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

yeah its been a poor year. I wouldn't go Farah..

In athletics I think Pavey stands out but not sure she'll stand a chance.

McIlroy, will Hamilton have the title by then?

Cant think of any soccer player, City won the title but Hart was pretty average.. rugby was average..

Any of the boxers?
 Sean Kelly 13 Nov 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Has to be Jo Pavey - 10km European Champion at 40. Staggering achievement after just having a baby as well. The only woman who did anything similar was the Norwegian marathon runner about 15/20 years back, Ingrid Cristiansen, but she was in her mid 30's when winning her best races.
 The New NickB 13 Nov 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

> Probably between those two. Especially if Hamilton's car doesn't blow up !

> Who are the women they are going to shoehorn into the process ? Laura Trott possibly

I'm never surprised by your ignorance.
 Banned User 77 13 Nov 2014
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Just had a look at the list and Wilkinson is a favourite.. bit surprised, he's had a good year but he's just been back fit to finish his career..
Clauso 13 Nov 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Ched Evans?
 aln 13 Nov 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Vanessa Mae?
Clauso 13 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

Sepp Blatter may be in with a shout, after today?
 kevin stephens 13 Nov 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

probably some random obese darts player who we've never heard of
 aln 13 Nov 2014
In reply to Clauso:

Surely the football fans vote goes to Ched?
 wynaptomos 14 Nov 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

IMO Rory McIlroy would be a more than worthy winner. He is undisputed World No 1 in a really competitive sport, won two majors and played a leading part in another Ryder cup win.
OP GrahamD 14 Nov 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> I'm never surprised by your ignorance.

Go on educate me.

Trying to fit more women into the nomination list was one of the big talking points of SPOTY last year - even if it meant they might not have been there strictly by public voting. Good ? bad ? indifferent ? irrelevant ?
OP GrahamD 14 Nov 2014
In reply to wynaptomos:

> IMO Rory McIlroy would be a more than worthy winner. He is undisputed World No 1

Much as I hate to admit it you might be right. (I have a really uneasy time trying to take golf seriously as a sport; in the same way as snooker or darts its skillful but isn't really the epitome of sporting endeavor to me)
 Mike Highbury 14 Nov 2014
In reply to GrahamD:
> Go on educate me.

Is it time for the annual thread proposing Chrissie 'friend of Lance' Wellington?
JMGLondon 14 Nov 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

I think Golf is as worthy a sport as any, especially at the top. The skill, mentality and dedication required is quite phenomenal.

It will be a close run thing between Rory and Hamilton. I also think Johnny Wilkinson will feature - he's recently retired having had a stella time at Toulon (inc winning the Heineken Cup in 2013 and 2014), a few teary montages of '03 might just be enough for him to sneak into the top 3. One bookie was offering 100/1 each way (1-3)...which was tempting enough for me.
 The New NickB 14 Nov 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

The idea that women need shoehorning is pretty ignorant.

You mention Trott, who is World, Commonwealth and European on the track and British Road Race champion, she hardly need shoehorning.

Jo Pavey medaled at the Commonwealth Games and European Athletics Championships, becoming the oldest female European Champion ever at 40. She hardly needs shoehorning.

Charlotte Dujardin has become the first rider in history to hold the Olympic, World and European titles in Dressage, she doesn't need shoehorning.

I am sure there are others. The clear implication of the word shoehorning is that they are not there on merit.
In reply to Mike Highbury:

I don't think they give it to people who have been retired a couple of years.
 Mike Highbury 14 Nov 2014

> I don't think they give it to people who have been retired a couple of years.

They don't tend to give it to people that few have heard of but that has little impact on this annual thread.
OP GrahamD 14 Nov 2014

The BBC seemed to think they needed to shoehorn more women in last year - hence the comment.

I'd agree that Trott (and - mea culpa I'd forgotten - Jo Pavey) should be there on merit but will the BBC leave it entirely to the 'on merit' principal this year after the flack they received in the past ?
In reply to GrahamD:

They didn't need to shoehorn, they simply needed to ensure they did select on merit and not use a panel that had far too narrow sporting interests.
 Chris the Tall 14 Nov 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Lizzy Yarnold and Jenny Jones should be on the shortlist, even though everyone's forgotten the winter Olympics.
Manon Carpenter deserves to be as well, but MTBing gets so little coverage that she will be ignored
Comparatively poor year for cyclists, but maybe Wiggins for the world TT. Thomas did a brilliant ride at the commies but that won't be enough.
I think we can forget about Murray after last night.
Pavey was fantastic, truly inspirational and must be on the shortlist, along with Farah

Mcllroy is odds-on, but at least that's better than a fast car driver
JMGLondon 14 Nov 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Here's what I think it could be. Probably some big omissions...

Mcilroy
Hamilton
Pavey
Wilkinson
Fragapane
Bale
Froch
Mo
Trott (L)
Dujardin
 nufkin 14 Nov 2014

> Mcllroy is odds-on, but at least that's better than a fast car driver

Dunno, he doesn't even carry his own clubs

wynaptomos 14 Nov 2014

Agree about Hamilton. Good as he is, lets face it, no-one except him or Rosberg were ever in with a hope of the title. Maybe the mechanic should win...........
 Chris the Tall 14 Nov 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:

> Dujardin

Will somebody explain how making a horse dance is a sport, but making a dog dance is a novelty act ?
 FactorXXX 14 Nov 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:

I also think Johnny Wilkinson will feature - he's recently retired having had a stella time at Toulon (inc winning the Heineken Cup in 2013 and 2014), a few teary montages of '03 might just be enough for him to sneak into the top 3.

Wouldn't he more suited to a 'Lifetime Achievement' award?
JMGLondon 14 Nov 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

Well he won the HC this year, but I suspect it'll be a nostalgic vote - unless the French were invited to vote, in which case he would def win!

JMGLondon 14 Nov 2014

> Will somebody explain how making a horse dance is a sport, but making a dog dance is a novelty act ?

Balding will be along shortly
 Hat Dude 14 Nov 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

I think McIlroy will get it and is a worthy winner

My vote would go to Jo Pavey; The way she mixed it with the Kenyans at the Commonwealths and dug in to get her medal was my favourite sporting moment of the year
 peppermill 15 Nov 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Guy Martin

Just imagine the interview
In reply to GrahamD:
I'm no golfer -- not even a punter - but I've swung a club a few times. Hitting a ball so far, and so often calls for a modicum of athletic ability. Golf is fiercly competitive - so is definitely a sport ( even if in my case it's just spoiling a good walk).
Post edited at 11:21
OP GrahamD 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

> My problem with golf is just that, really - my problem
OP GrahamD 17 Nov 2014

My memory of last year is obviously a bit hazy then. My recollection was that there was a serious proposal to introduce a quota of women nominees.
 zebidee 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Troy Tempest:

> Guy Martin

+1 to that - it is Sports Personality of the Year after all.

Why shouldn't he be in with a shout? I bet he'd be in with a good chance if he made the last 10.
 Bob Hughes 17 Nov 2014
In reply to zebidee:

> Guy Martin

in the same vein I'd like to see Josh Bryceland win it - he's had an amazing season and is a genuine personality.

But there's absolutely no chance because DH is still not a mainstream sport and, on balance, I think I prefer it that way.
 The New NickB 17 Nov 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

> My memory of last year is obviously a bit hazy then. My recollection was that there was a serious proposal to introduce a quota of women nominees.

I think it may well be hazy. The problem last year wasn't that there weren't women who had done enough on merit, it was that the idiots on the panel were blind to them.
 Fredt 17 Nov 2014
In reply to zebidee:

> +1 to that - it is Sports Personality of the Year after all.

> Why shouldn't he be in with a shout? I bet he'd be in with a good chance if he made the last 10.

Ah bet e'd be in with a shout. Ah bet e'd be in with a shout..

Classic quote from last night's Speed:

"Crackin' lass, - she can't 'alf pull a truck".
 peppermill 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Fredt:

Last night's episode cemented him as my current hero,

'Oooooh, I wonder if she can weld?'

I hope somebody somewhere is cooking up a documentary with Guy and Andy Kirkpatrick. Would be TV gold.
 zebidee 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Troy Tempest:

Just found this:

https://twitter.com/guymartinquotes
 Guy 17 Nov 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Josh Super laid back Bryceland and Guy manic Martin in a programme together would be brilliant. It would need subtitles.
 Robert Durran 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Bob Hughes:

> But there's absolutely no chance because DH is still not a mainstream sport.

Obviously not. I can't even think what DH might stand for!

Guy 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

Down Hill i.e. riding down stuff that you can barely walk down at speeds that would scare Guy Martin.
 mwr72 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Guy:

> Down Hill i.e. riding down stuff that you can barely walk down at speeds that would scare Guy Martin.

You're having a laugh, right?
 Robert Durran 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Guy:

> (In reply to Robert Durran)
>
> Down Hill i.e. riding down stuff that you can barely walk down at speeds that would scare Guy Martin.

Is Guy Martin (whoever that is) not so good on a horse then?

Never heard of this downhill equestrianism thing. Definitely not mainstream.
Post edited at 22:41
 balmybaldwin 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Guy:

Mojo Trail Diaries: Steve Peat, Guy Martin & Joe …: youtube.com/watch?v=yaO0j5GT2gs&

Well 'e 'ad a go like!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...