UKC

Foods that keep you full?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 13 Nov 2014
Im not looking to loose weight or anything just fed up with needing to eat constantly.
Some people say porridge keeps them going but I get hungry regardless, especially when im training several times a week.
Im trying to stay away from gluten and cant eat milk products, just to make things harder.

What can you suggest me?
 RyanOsborne 13 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

I find brown rice is really good for making you full, and gives you loads of energy to train. There's good Pilaf recipes online, and you can easily thrown in ten of your five a day. Not sure whether it has gluten in though?
OP The Potato 13 Nov 2014
In reply to RyanOsborne:

I found a bag of brown rice at the back of the cupboard, nice one ill give that a go.
Any others?
 LeeWood 13 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Can you eat eggs? I find they (eggs/egg-rich recipes) keepme stoked for ages
 The Lemming 13 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

I find that fish and chips really fill a hole in my belly. Though they are not as cheap any more.
 Timmd 13 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Have you tried malt loaf?
 Queenie 13 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Mixed, unsalted nuts are quite filling. Make your own muesli with oats, nuts, dried fruit, seeds and soya milk.
 LeeWood 13 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Try putting a big chunk of creamed coconut in your porridge
 Tony the Blade 13 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Puy lentils done the Marcus Waring way, yummy
In reply to LeeWood:

ha! eating mixed nuts and raisins as we speak.
Fish n chips definately a satisfying meal, but as the fish is battered I just have chips now.
Man talking about all these tasty options.... making me hungry.

Perhaps I should try human blood....
In reply to Tony the Blade:

got a link please?
 Tony the Blade 14 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Sorry, I can't find a direct link, however, here's the recipe. I made it again last night so that our lass and I have lunch sorted and I've frozen half for a later date. It's absolutely scrummy. bon appetite...

Marcus Waring's herbed lentils

75 g puy lentils
375 ml vegetable stock
1 small carrot (washed and cut into chunks)
1 small onion (peeled and cut into chunks)
½ small leek (washed & cut into rounds)
½ celery stick (washed & roughly sliced)
2 sprigs fresh thyme

1 large shallot (peeled and finely chopped)
½ small carrot (peeled and finely chopped)
¼ celery stick (washed and finely chopped)
50 g butter (cut into small dice)
2 tbsp chopped coriander

Rinse the lentils thoroughly, then cover with cold water in a small pot and bring to the boil. Do not add any salt at this stage as they would harden. As soon as they are boiling, take off the heat, drain and rinse thoroughly again.
Return the lentils to the pot, with the roughly chunked vegetables and the thyme, and cover with 250 ml of the vegetable stock. Bring to a rolling boil, then simmer for 5 – 8 minutes until half-cooked. Remember they will go through a second cooking phase.

Drain the lentils, remove the thyme and vegetables and discard them. Return the lentils to the pot, add the remaining vegetable stock and the finely chopped vegetables, heat up and simmer for 10 minutes, or until there is about half as much liquid as legumes. Keep warm. Just before serving, stir in the butter and coriander and divide between plates.
Removed User 14 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Stop eating carbs if you want to stop feeling hungry. Stick to beans and lentils.
 ByEek 14 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Anything high in protien. But if you are doing lots of exercise your body is telling you what it wants so listen. If you don't like what it is telling you cut back on your training. Sorry but I dont think there is an killer answer to your body's desire for calories and nutrients.
In reply to ow arm:

Protein and fats are both slower to digest, aided by high fibre items. All refined foods digest very quickly so avoid those. Beans/veg are low calorie but fill you up so eat as many as you can. I think I read an entire aubergine is 30 calories or something. Supplement this with healthy oils like linseed or coconut to slow down digestion (and give lots of health benefits) and you should be sorted.
 AlisonSmiles 14 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

9 bars do it for me in a casual snack kind of a fashion. In the Free From aisle ... I was recommended these by a nutritionist to help modify my swooping blood sugar levels.
 1poundSOCKS 14 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Soup.
 Tony the Blade 14 Nov 2014
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

A 9 bar meant something entirely different when I was a teenager Not exactly an appetite suppressor either.
OP The Potato 14 Nov 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:

yeah man! wouldnt like eating one either

Thanks Tony ill try the puy lentils

I do eat a fair bit of veg but probably could increase the pulses and stuff a bit

In reply to Hardonicus:

Beans and lentils ARE carbs you mellon, infact most food contains 'carbs'
OP The Potato 14 Nov 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Malt loaf - many of them do contain milk but I think there are one or two supermarket ones that dont, Ill try that ive not had them in a long time, lots of fibre I imagine.
Removed User 14 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:
Yes but they don't spike your insulin much unlike melons.
Post edited at 16:19
 LeeWood 14 Nov 2014
In reply to Removed User:

beans and oats are notable for their content of *soluble* fibre
In reply to ow arm:

My mate's trick with porridge was to eat it really quickly so that you can stuff more in before it expands in your stomach. Always made me feel really ill.

If you're training hard you have to eat a lot. When I was racing bikes I was eating all the time and got really sick of it. I used ice cream to shove extra calories down though, which was nice. =)

Since then I've found that beans and lentils are far more filling than rice or pasta, and haggis and black pudding are excellent for protein and fat. Not very scientific though. And eat your greens!
 marsbar 14 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

I reckon you need to eat more cake. Job done.
 Baron Weasel 14 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Try cutting refined sugar out of your diet. You will need to read the label on everything as so many foods are laced with it (not just obviously sweet things). Even 1 teaspoon of sugar will cause your pancreas to secrete insulin to control your blood sugar levels which can leave you on an insulin rolla coaster, which in turn can make it hard to fill up. Cutting sugar out can be hard and make you feel like a junkie in detox - but after 2 weeks you will certainly notice the difference.

As for foods to fill you up - I like a fry up done in beef dripping to start the day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...