UKC

5.10, Adidas and Sheffield United

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oliver Houston 14 Nov 2014
Normally I don't get bothered by things like this, but I guess with this one, I've decided I care.

As I personally can't support a company that will even indirectly sponsor a convicted rapist, I will not be buying 5.10 shoes until Adidas has forced Sheffield united to drop Ched Evans. Or dropped sponsorship.

That's all folks.

N.B. for anyone who didn't realise Adidas own 5.10... That's the link.

Tony the Blade 14 Nov 2014
In reply to Oliver Houston:

Yeah, and I'm refusing to buy a beautiful prestige car from John Holland Sales, or buy any logics from DBL Logistics until they both sort United out.

That'll learn 'em
 Rob Exile Ward 14 Nov 2014

What about a convicted thug - Joey Barton, say; or a drunk driver; or some of the Man U squad who certainly behaved as badly or worse with young women than Evans but didn't get convicted?
Ste Brom 14 Nov 2014

Can you hear the chime of the thousands of sweat shop workers supporting you in your apoplexy?
 The New NickB 14 Nov 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> or some of the Man U squad who certainly behaved as badly or worse with young women than Evans but didn't get convicted?

I really had you pegged as a better person.
 Axel Smeets 14 Nov 2014

Does your personal protest extend to every single sponsor of Sheffield United? If it does, I note you live in Sheffield, so you might have a hard time avoiding all the companies which are associated with the club in some kind of sponsorship arrangement.

Might be an idea to avoid wearing red too. Just to be safe.
 Banned User 77 14 Nov 2014
There's also Blackpool director a convicted rapist..

Then there's the likes of Nile Ranger, again Blackpool, numerous convictions and charges from street robbery, assault, domestic violence and homophobia..

Then there's those that have killed behind the wheel like the plymouth captain, killed 2 kids driving drunk, and Lee Hughes...killed someone, possibly drunk, but left the scene.. and has a later assault conviction

Michael Vick, served time for organising a dog fighting ring, now star QB for NY Jets.. Nike Sponsored.

There's a fair number of players in the NFL who have paid victims to drop rape cases against them.. again Nike Sponsored.. Roethlisburger being probably the highest profile one..

All these have sponsors.. Sports fans have short memories and so do the athletes. Ennis Hill will be Nike Sponsored with UKA from now on..
Post edited at 15:32
In reply to IainRUK:

While I get the idea, all big sports companies sponsor people/clubs with a dubious moral standing, I personally buy very little kit from any of them, 5.10 on the other hand is a company that do make products I'm interested in...
That said I have no idea of the parent companies behind some of my kit, maybe moon is owned by Nike, Rab? Next time I'm thinking about buying something, maybe I'll look into it.

And if enough pressure is put on Adidas now, maybe there's enough of a will at the moment to drive a change in the attitudes of sponsors, maybe not. Maybe sponsorship pressure will be enough to improve the behaviour of athletes and consequently fans, it seems like it's worth a shot anyway.

While I will avoid knowingly using companies that sponsor Sheffield United, I'm not perfect, I won't be able to vet every company I buy groceries/christmas presents from.

Also it would be great to see all criminals convicted of their crimes and given fitting punishments - or just not be criminals in the first place - until the conviction rate is improved, we have to give the unconvicted thugs the benefit of the doubt...
 Rob Exile Ward 17 Nov 2014

It would be great to see all criminals always convicted, and no innocent people ever wrongfully convicted. Self evidently that is true; equally self evident it isn't going to happen. Being human beings we have to muddle on as best we can balancing different priorities and values.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...