UKC

Bloody Windows 8

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 14 Nov 2014
I don't know if I'm using the correct terms but I hope somebody will be able to bear with me and help.

I'm using Windows 8.1. When I have the desktop showing and click on either the Windows key on the keyboard or the Windows icon in the bottom left hand corner of my screen I get the page showing all the "tiles" for things like Mail, Store, OneDrive etc.

So far so good. When I then click on one of those tiles the "Tile Page" completely disappears but its icon then appears in the bar at the bottom of the page. If I then click on that item it flashes up on the screen for about 1/50th of a second and just leaves the icon at the bottom of the screen again with the screen display reverting to the desktop. This happened earlier in the week and rectified when I rebooted. However it's gone again now.

Can anyone help please before I take a sledge hammer to it. F*ck microsoft for getting rid of XP
 Neil Williams 14 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

You might do well to consider switching to 7. Most businesses will be staying there until 10 at least.

Neil
 buzby 14 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

cant help with your issue but I use windows 7 for home use and windows 8 for work and can confirm without doubt that windows 8 is shite.
RockShock 14 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

If you'd like to have back XP, why not use the Win8 in Desktop only mode? I did that and it runs really smooth... It even boots in Desktop mode directly and the only time I see the new fancy tiles are with some settings applications - other than that I don't see any issues.

http://www.howtogeek.com/163424/how-to-get-rid-of-the-modern-environment-on... Here you'll see instructions on how to disable charms, corners etc

ClassicShell gives you tons of options and is free, get this as a start button replacement (or stick with the new Win8.1 start button): http://www.classicshell.net/
 Durbs 14 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Which tile are you clicking on or is it all tiles?

I actually like Win8.1 (8 was awful!) - for a home media/games/photoshopping.

Wouldn't use it for work though...
OP mypyrex 14 Nov 2014
In reply to Durbs:

> Which tile are you clicking on or is it all tiles?
All of them

> I actually like Win8.1 (8 was awful!) - for a home media/games/photoshopping.
How does it feel to be in a minority?
 kevin stephens 14 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I use windows 8.1 for work, 7 for home. 8.1 is awful, 7 is great. When my home laptop needs replacing I will have to get a mac if win 7 is no longer available.

I think Windows 8 was Microsoft's Ratner decision
 The Lemming 14 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Windows 8 is evil and I will never us it.

If you can, get a copy of Windows 7. It is a pleasure to use and a big improvement on XP. But be quick as Microsoft will stop selling Windows 7 very soon.

It is possible to download legit copies of windows 7 to be installed from a USB stick. All you need to do is use a legit licence key.
 balmybaldwin 14 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

It sounds like the application is positioned off the edge of your screen.

RIGHT click on the item on the start bar, and choose move, you should then be able to relocate it using the arrow keys. Alternatively right click on the start bar (away from the icons) and choose show windows stacked, or show side by side, and it should come back.

Have you been using the laptop with an external monitor or extended desktop? That can cause this if the machine dpesnt register the second screen being disconnected.

Hope this helps.

P.s. this problem is just as likely on xp and win7
OP mypyrex 14 Nov 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> It sounds like the application is positioned off the edge of your screen.
?No, it's where it always has been.

> Have you been using the laptop
No
> P.s. this problem is just as likely on xp and win7
NEVER had problem on XP
Post edited at 19:01
 Hooo 14 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

If your Windows 8 version is pro or above, you can call Microsoft and get a free Windows 7 key. We did this with about 100 PCs, it was bloody tedious! You can download a Windows 7 DVD image from Microsoft too IIRC.
 Rich0777 14 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
… Its easy; take a sledgehammer to your PC and buy a Mac - problem solved…
Post edited at 19:45
 John_Hat 14 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> Bloody Windows 8

Agreed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...