UKC

Climbing in Roller Skates

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt250 14 Nov 2014
Just watched Epic TVs Climbing Daily (link below) about some speed record in the US and at 2.28 the guy says something like this:

'the area has a number of quirky records, including the prow (I think) being climbed in roller skates.'

http://www.epictv.com/media/podcast/new-speed-record-rivalry-is-born-in-el-...

That's hilarious. Low friction climbing to the max!
 johncook 14 Nov 2014
In reply to Matt250:

We were there first. Some guy used to climb Little Chamonix in the lakes in boxing gloves and roller skates. Can't remember his name, but I am sure there are many on here who can, and there will, no doubt be links to photos and videos to follow.
Wiley Coyote2 14 Nov 2014
In reply to johncook:

Ray McHaffie (James' dad)
 johncook 14 Nov 2014
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

That's the one!
I seem to remember a video of him doing it. Wonder if it is still around on the net. Will search you-tube when I have a bit more time.
 Sean Kelly 14 Nov 2014
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Apparently someone was arguing with McHaffie, saying how hard Little Chamonix (Shepherds Crag) was to climb, and Ray retorted that he could climb it in roller skates and boxing gloves, which he then proceeded to do. Anyway the BBC and more particularily the children's TV program, Blue Peter, heard about this escapade and promptly got McHaffie to repeat the feat. And as they say the rest is history...
 wheelo 14 Nov 2014
In reply to Sean Kelly:

It is an awesome feat. But.... The rollers were welded up.
 goose299 15 Nov 2014
In reply to Matt250:

Johnny dawes has done it too
youtube.com/watch?v=n3etXIRf6a8&
 James Oswald 15 Nov 2014
In reply to Sean Kelly:

" Anyway the BBC and more particularily the children's TV program, Blue Peter, heard about this escapade and promptly got McHaffie to repeat the feat. "

Is it on the internet anywhere?
 Michael Hood 15 Nov 2014
In reply to goose299: JD is wearing inline skates, totally different technique, can't front point without using a wheel but more inside and outside edge than roller skates

alan moore 16 Nov 2014
In reply to Matt250:
I saw a Ray McHaffie lecture once; he was brilliant! He did admit that he had taken the stuffing out of the boxing gloves and was able to stand on the metal plates on the front of the roller skates.
Rock Climbing with impediments on your hands and feet is very popular in Scotland at this time of year as well. Usually referred to as 'mixed'.
OP Matt250 16 Nov 2014
Awesome. Sounds like there's some questionable roller skates ethics going on though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...