UKC

tensioning hub gear chain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toerag 17 Nov 2014
OK, so I have to remove my back wheel on my bike with hub gears (Cube Hyde race) - how do I ensure the chain is correctly tensioned when I re-fit it, and do I need to do anything to the disc brakes to get the wheel off and on? TIA
In reply to Toerag:

The screwed end of the chain should have an adjustable stop on it, check the is tight against female end before you undo, then just tighten back up to that point afterwards.
Shouldn't need to touch the brakes, just don't pull the lever if they are hydraulic!!
 quirky 17 Nov 2014
In reply to airbournegrapefruit:

If it doesn't have a tensioner (my inbred alfine hasn't)...then turn the bike upside down...one foot on the seat and pull the wheel with one hand and nip up the drive side of the wheel with the other. Release the wheel, check it is straight then nip up the none drive side. Then tighten them bith fully. Works for me and no fiddly chain tensioners!
OP Toerag 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Toerag:

Good stuff guys, I think I'm ready to get hydraulic fluid all over the lounge floor (actually that's not really a problem, the rear brake travel is excessive and the fluid needs a top-up anyway.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...