UKC

Ape Index/Jerry Moffatt lecture 2nite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 02 Dec 2001
Jerry Moffatt is apparently giving a lecture at the Ape Index do tonight at the Brincliffe Oaks in Nether Edge, Sheff - starts at 7.30pm. don't know why Grimer hasn't advertised it.....i hope you don't mind my mentioning it Grimer!

anyone else going? please say hi to me and Mart
if you know either of us from RT
OP Jonno 02 Dec 2001
In reply to Removed User:

No.I'm not going........As usual I'll be out stealing underwear from washing lines........
OP justin. 03 Dec 2001
In reply to Jonno:

"No.I'm not going........As usual I'll be out stealing underwear from washing lines........"
CLASS!

But why do i want to here jerry woffle on about his fast cars ect ect.
Sorry but not me i think i will be washing my hair or sumfin???

over an out_____________----
Graham 03 Dec 2001

Why has your post timed at 14.11 arrived on the board at 2 midnight?

G
Graham 03 Dec 2001
In reply to Graham:
That should have been 12 midnight.

G
Graham 03 Dec 2001
In reply to Graham:

Oh dear oh dear.

G
dan evans 03 Dec 2001
In reply to jude

you should get jerry to come on here one night like you did with john and john

i'd like to ask him a question or two
Gryph 03 Dec 2001

In went, Jerry was ace, Grimes ripped it outta the Llanberis scene;

"Oi! Grimer! Outside.............NOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!"

Where did you go to Jude? I was looking forward to seeing you afterwards!

g
 Michael Ryan 03 Dec 2001
In reply to Gryph:

Any chance of a slide show report?

Gryph? JCT? Anyone?

Mick R
Tom 03 Dec 2001
In reply to Mick R:

Packed out upstairs at the Brincliff Oaks. Grimer was on stage with a nice selection of animal photos, asked anyone from Llanberis to leave, told a few tales like he does about pythons being eaten by cobras, asked various people to confess their sins, was very rude to Lucy Creamer, made everyone laugh. Kevin Thaw showed climbing photos from Cerro Torre but talked enthusiastically about the areas fine boulder problems and Alan Mullin's glasgow kiss, did the best effort ever with a 20 minute slot. break. caption comp. anticipation. Jerry had to be coaxed on stage (shy?), but did us proud and showed pics from the early days, taking us through his career (spangly tights and headbands), training, goals, doing the hardest routes, friends, pics of wolfgang doing 1 finger plymetrics, loads of classic photos and then a very funny bit on Hampi with climbing monkeys. Rapturous applause for Jerry. great night.
Removed User 03 Dec 2001
In reply to Graham:

<Why has your post timed at 14.11 arrived on the board at 2 midnight?

because im secretly in control dummy and i can do whatever i like

Removed User 03 Dec 2001
In reply to dan evans: hi dan, whats the weather like in france, freezing here.

ive asked jerry already, but he has affiliations elsewhere and doesnt think it would be the right thing to do, for which ive got the utmost respect.

ive been thinking of asking big ron to do one but quite honestly with the treatment ive got from certain quarters in here recently i just cannot be arsed to put myself out anymore.
Removed User 03 Dec 2001
In reply to Gryph: Gryph, i was really looking forward to meeting you too! we went down to the bar but there was no-one there (probably because last orders had gone, and we forgot about sunday closing times, doh) so we faffed around deciding what to do for 10 minutes and by the time we left everyone had gone. what a shame! darn. i really wanted to meet you too. grrrrrrr!

Removed User 03 Dec 2001
In reply to Tom:

i thought the whole show was sparkling, as usual. couldnt believe the number of people there. i felt that the seating was a bit claustrophobic though, it would have been more sociable to be sitting at tables rather than in rows - what did anyone else think?

i also didnt understand why grimer didnt use his greenland trip for material....or presumably you're planning a separate show for that grimer? i thought the llanberis stuff was hilarious.

jerry's slide show was really good, starting and ending with a selection of slides to music which was great. and as tom says, he got a truly rapturous round of applause.

he is obviously such a widely respected man.....i just wonder sometimes........i dont think one person in that audience would have wanted to say anything negative about him to his face last night, and yet in here he very often gets slated. it just brings it home, in this artificial arena we should use our power to hurt people with caution......jerry's show was at no time egotistical or arrogant, it was a very self-deprecating and funny performance, i really enjoyed the whole night.

irish si 03 Dec 2001
In reply to Removed User: Inspiring or what. im going to sleep in toms cave from now on...thats all u have to do to climb 8c+.
Removed User 03 Dec 2001
In reply to irish si: that was cool wasn't it?

did you notice that slide of the old ape index show with niel in the front row? so funny!
Sloper 03 Dec 2001
In reply to irish si: Si,

have you finished of The Strangler or whatever it was you hurled yourself from.

Hope youre enjoying Sheffield more than Nottingham, see you about.
Graham 03 Dec 2001
In reply to Sloper:

I have my eye on that for next year. Does the gear keep you off the floor?

G
Chris D 03 Dec 2001
Jerry's a legend,20 years climbing at the highest level. Came across as a top bloke!
irish si 03 Dec 2001
In reply to Sloper: Fraid not mate, im to scared to go back onto it. Ive been sticking to the e3s lately...much safer.umm. how did u know that i flunked a 5c once. It happens to the best of us.
Sloper 03 Dec 2001
In reply to irish si: Cause we gave you a lift remember? Graham? Apparently the gear does keep you off the floor and the move Si fell from is well sketchy, I nearly took the same flyer myself, one of those oh f^*(*( then you realise you haven't fallen off type moves. Great.
Removed User 03 Dec 2001
In reply to Chris D: we really should sort out rocktalk t-shirts, it would have been nice to talk to you and tom and gryph. i thought he came across like a top bloke too, as i said, considering his achievements, he was very self-effacing and modest.
Dennis 03 Dec 2001

Sorry, I have to drive down to Chamonix this evening for a game of cards...

Dennis M.
Chris D 03 Dec 2001
Sorry Jude and Gruff (he can't even spell his own name)i feel guilty for not bringing you together- maybe it just wasn't meant to be!
 Michael Ryan 03 Dec 2001

"we really should sort out rocktalk t-shirts"

They are bering printed Jude.

Thanks all for the slide show reports.

Mick R
you know the Rockfax Mick
Removed User 03 Dec 2001
In reply to Chris D: oh you're THAT chris! the chris i met! soz. im a bit of a duffer sometimes chris! it was nice of you to introduce yourself.
tommy twotone 03 Dec 2001

Hi all,

I was at the Oaks with a few mates last night and thought it was great as well. I thought Grimer was funny in the usual random way, the lecture on big routes was entertaining but I like many was there to see Jerry Moffatt.

I've got to say that I was expecting a side if Jerry that I just didn't see. Sure he showed a few slides of him posing (with and without his cars), but nothing was made of it. I couldn't believe he didn't want to face his audience, and I came away with a lot more respect for the guy, especially the amount of focus and effort he seems to have put into what he does and where he's got today.

Shame I couldn't see some of it cos of someone's furry cowboy hat

I would've tapped you on the shoulder to say hi Jude, but I was too busy trying not to faint!

Defo be at the next one, see everyone there!
Removed User 03 Dec 2001
In reply to tommy twotone: you were behind me tom? i dont believe it! you should have said hello!

GROAN!!! listen, at the next ape index i'm going to be standing at the back, sitting in rows like that was just too claustrophobic. and PLEASE come and say hello! i don't bite!

Chris D 03 Dec 2001
Just to make sure you've got the right chris, i'm irish si's handsome mate who you met in the peak and lives around the corner from gruff! Hope thats cleared things up in your head jude!
Removed User 04 Dec 2001
In reply to Chris D: that's right! the handsome hunk who talked to me at the bar!
Chris D 04 Dec 2001
Isn't Grimer f*****g hilarious, that dig at Lucy Creamer was classic! (she just mumbled i take it up the shitter!). Classic. He should be rich!
Removed User 05 Dec 2001
In reply to Chris D: er..........well.......maybe Lucy didnt think it was so funny! i thought it was a bit cruel actually. however humour is by nature often a bit cruel, and Grimer is very funny, and his Llanberris stuff was hilarious. Maybe he will be rich one day. He's a fabulously gifted writer.

if i were Lucy, and Grimer had said about me "she's just mumbled i take it up the shitter" i'd have stood up, grabbed the microphone, and purred to the audience "in your dreams Grimer. i've got flaxen blonde hair not wool on my head luv"
OP MMM 05 Dec 2001
In reply to Removed User: In reply to Removed UserGraham:

<Why has your post timed at 14.11 arrived on the board at 2 midnight?

"because im secretly in control dummy and i can do whatever i like"

YOU WISH! ! ! DREAM ON! jct.

I was there and saw jude she came over to my direction so i bolted to the mens room were i was safe.(i think).

Only kiddin jude i love ya really. shame i have not got a clue who you were/are anyway. Will the rockfax t-shirts have JCT editions? i want one. xxx

Removed User 05 Dec 2001
In reply to MMM:

ah i was only kidding MMM (does that stand for "more marmite mum" btw?)

i was the one in the furry cowboy hat and grey furry moon boots trying to look demure, sitting next to the gorgeous blonde texan climber Karen, and next to the Rock Elf Martin Veale on the other side, near the front, right hand side.

im a housewife. my website is at www.fluffyheliumflash.com if you want to see what i do in between cleaning floors,looking after kids and dog walking.
Jimmy The Whale 05 Dec 2001
In reply to Removed User: Ahh but thats because you've had time to think up a great response.

I always do this, but at the point where it matters I'm normally lost for words
Jimmy The Whale 05 Dec 2001
In reply to Jimmy The Whale: P.S Your website is very impressive quite slick but complete death by flash
Removed User 05 Dec 2001
In reply to Jimmy The Whale: what is death by flash?

you're right, ive had time to think about it, lucy was a bit put on the spot there, id have been tongue tied too in real life.

it really annoys me when i only think of a witty response to something days afterwards, by which time it's too late - happens to us all i guess!
John2 05 Dec 2001
In reply to Removed User: The French have an expression for it, Jude. L'esprit d'escalier - the witty retort you think of on your way down the stairs from someone's apartment.
Removed User 05 Dec 2001
In reply to John2: oh cheers! "the stair wish" is that then ? i like it John next time im wandering along burbage boulders on a busy sunday afternoon and i suddenly remember a witty retort, i shall loudly declare to no-one in particular:

"I HAVE JUST BEEN STRUCK BY L'ESPRIT D'ESCALIER!!!" - that should increase my pretentious-moi rating no end
 Michael Ryan 05 Dec 2001

"that should increase my pretentious-moi rating no end "

'fraid not Jude - it can't increase any more, it's right off the scale as it is ; x )

Mick R
Removed User 05 Dec 2001
In reply to Mick R:

write out a hundred lines "must try harder not to state the bleeding obvious and think of something wittier" C minus Michael and go to the back of the class.

pschw
 Michael Ryan 06 Dec 2001

Have you mellowed a bit Jude, or is it just me?

Mick
Removed User 06 Dec 2001
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA:

have YOU mellowed Michael! where's the usual rotten bananas response? or has your banana completely rotted using up tissues hur hur hur

oh i dunno. im happy cause im doing music again thats all, and other stuff in the pipeline is making me happy too.
 Michael Ryan 06 Dec 2001
> (In reply to Removed UserMick - Rockfax USA)
>
> have YOU mellowed Michael! where's the usual rotten bananas response?

You only get that off me Jude when you're being a dick.

> oh i dunno. im happy cause im doing music again thats all, and other stuff in the pipeline is making me happy too.

I'm glad you are happy. There's nothing like a bit of personal reflection on past behaviour to make one change for the better.

At least you didn't have to go to the expense of buying one of those self-improvement books.

Thank me later.

cheers,

Mick R

Removed User 06 Dec 2001

great. your talking bollox again. back to normal
 Michael Ryan 06 Dec 2001

Well OK Jude maybe you due need to purchase some self-improvement books. (I was looking on the bright side when I said that you might have done some reflection).

- A beginners guide to self-perception.

- How to cure your center of attention neurosis.

- Ego Check: How To Start Loving Others As Well As Yourself

- An Arts and Crafts Goldmine: How to Make Money Out Of Your Hobbies (there's a good section of making fluffy hats in this one).

- Active Listening: Open Your Ears, Open Your Mind.

- Get Rid Of The Machiavellian Complex: A beginners guide to being honest and genuine.

That'll do for starters.

cheers,

Mick R

Removed User 06 Dec 2001

(in robotic electronic monotone)(bit like the aliens on the cadburys smash advert)

you are in the wrong zone. you should be in the zone marked "one of the rocktalk lads having a laugh as crusty". please evacuate immediately. please read your instruction manual next time you attempt to venture into zones about which you have no knowledge or ability to be witty. dumpkopf.

tommytwotone 06 Dec 2001

sorry to drag this back on topic (sort of!), but was I the only one who noticed that the car tax on Jerry's Audi ran out at the end of October?

Hope he earned enough to sort that one out....
Removed User 06 Dec 2001
In reply to tommytwotone: LOL yes but what were you doing STUDYING his car tax tom you trainspotter you! very funny
 Michael Ryan 06 Dec 2001

> cadburys smash
> please evacuate immediately.
> dump

I think you've got something on the brain dearest.

Mick R
tommytwotone 06 Dec 2001

I'll put my hands up and say I'm sad-I admit it, but by way of an explanation, Jerry's known for being a connoisseur quick motors isn't he?

We got there well early so were playing pool and I wondered what he'd turned up in- 911? Ferrari? Skoda?

Needless to say I was a little disappointed to see a decidedly rep-like Audi (unless its a small corner of the fleet)and ergo I noticed the tax thing (ever since I got fined £360 for parking my car on the road when the tax ran out I tend to notice these things!)

I'll be on the lookout Sunday night, so arrive on a pushbike if you can...
Removed User 07 Dec 2001
> (In reply to jude calvert-toulmin)
>
> [...]
>
> I think you've got something on the brain dearest.
>
> Mick R

i have, but it's not you.

shame you cant say the same about me loverboy
Removed User 07 Dec 2001
In reply to tommytwotone:

ah i was only kidding tom. im always checking tax discs and smirking. i am certain that jezza didnt turn up in something flash because if he had, everyone would have been saying on RT "flash bastard". just goes to show he's a regular guy really.
Ben Tye 07 Dec 2001

The old Audi is Jerry's one and only motor..
 Michael Ryan 07 Dec 2001

> i have, but it's not you.

Too much fluff and smelly gas in their for me Jude.

M
Removed User 08 Dec 2001
In reply to Ben Tye: Brrrrr! you made me jump, coming up behind me and whispering into my ear like that not often i see you in cyberspace rather than in person any more benjamin

hmmm so the audi's the only motor at the mo.

i'm sure there are lots of brilliant jerry stories around which highlight the man's natural wit and general all round joie de vivre - you don't know anyone who knows any do you benjy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...