UKC

sliding patio door removal for piano move

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 18 Nov 2014
Just bought a piano and its made it into my conservatory - which is fine for now - but want to fit it thro' patio doors buts its too wide. Anyone removed sliding patio doors and any tips etc.

And god knows how two blokes moved it! Watched them pick it up - I cant even lift one corner up!
 FactorXXX 18 Nov 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

Have you tried turning the piano through 90° so that the narrow end of the piano goes through the patio door?
 gethin_allen 18 Nov 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

Normally there is enough play in the top sliders that you can lift the opening door and then move the bottom out off the bottom slider. Some have blocks screwed into top of the frame near the slider to prevent you from being able to do this from outside when the door is closed. If so, open the door as far as it will go and then remove the blocks then close it slightly to allow you to remove the door.

Hopefully this will give you that extra space required. Some designs allow you to open and remove both sliding parts so you could repeat the process above. Other designs have one fixed pane.
 imkevinmc 18 Nov 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

Is it slider or tilt'slide

Either way, the panels come out fairly easily.

After all, that's how they were fitted in the first place
cb294 18 Nov 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

Rather than fiddling with the doors you may be able to partially disassemble the piano without too much hassle.

Depending on the piano you may be able to take off the entire keyboard unit in one piece, or remove the back panels that may gain you a few centimetres.

CB
mick taylor 18 Nov 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

Thanks all. Reckon the sliding and fixed panel will be OK to remove. Once in the house, time to dig out my headphones to block out the din of kids on it (although it will no doubt sound a gazillion times better then when i was learning violin!).
 ByEek 18 Nov 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

Is it an upright? In which case you should be able to remoce the lid, pannel behind where the music sits and panel in front of your legs. It doesn't make a huge difference but everything helps!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...