UKC

profiling climbers and mountaineers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ActionSte 19 Nov 2014
I got directed the the fountain of stats that is the yougov website earlier and thought id see if theres a statistical reason as the why im more into rock climbing than mountaineering.
Besides living in the right area of the country to be a boss mountaineer, it would appear that the reason im not currently soloing k2 is because my political views are too far to the left and my disposable income is lacking by about £750+ a month. I knew there was a reason.
https://yougov.co.uk/profiler#/Rock_Climbing/demographics
https://yougov.co.uk/profiler#/Mountaineering/demographics

I wonder if theres a reason im rubbish at cycling too...
 Skipinder 19 Nov 2014
In reply to ActionSte:

> I wonder if theres a reason im rubbish at cycling too...

It would appear that you need to be a MAMIL https://yougov.co.uk/profiler#/Cycling/demographics
 BnB 19 Nov 2014
In reply to ActionSte:

Fascinating and well implemented infographics but absolute poppycock: no mention of Skoda under rock climbers' favourite cars. Or Sheffield, where they all live as far as I can tell.
In reply to ActionSte:
What about dance and ballet as an interest?

haha. I typed in Ford to see what it says about the average ford owner. Apparently his most likely car is.... BMW!
Post edited at 08:40
 Andy Hardy 19 Nov 2014
In reply to ActionSte:

That must be rubbish - the "car a climber is most likely to drive" wasn't a 1.9 TD Skoda Octavia Estate!
 BnB 19 Nov 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

Beat you to it!!
 Durkules 19 Nov 2014
In reply to ActionSte:
Sample size = 37!

It's interesting* how Mountaineers are working class (C2DE), yet have £1,000+ spare a month.

*By interesting I mean, it shows how useless this information is
Post edited at 10:45
 climbwhenready 19 Nov 2014
In reply to Durkules:

> It's interesting* how Mountaineers are working class (C2DE), yet have £1,000+ spare a month.

> *By interesting I mean, it shows how useless this information is

And Rock Climbers are upper/middle class (ABC1) and have £125-£499 spare per month.

YouGov, must try harder.
 ianstevens 19 Nov 2014
In reply to climbwhenready:

> YouGov, must try harder.

Both are ridiculosly small sample sizes.
 hang_about 19 Nov 2014
In reply to ActionSte:

Rock climbers favourite foods
1. Malay chicken satay - OK
2. Chicken feet - bit odd
3. Gruel

Gruel! Eee by gum - we're tough up north
 BFG 19 Nov 2014
In reply to ActionSte:

I might be taking this too seriously, but if you note the sample size at the top of the page, it's listed as 37 and 90, respectively. This might explain why rock climbers are apparently unlikely to live in Yorkshire, for example.
OP ActionSte 19 Nov 2014
In reply to ActionSte:

I just see it as the start of an orwellian nightmare where big brother says climbing wont be my assigned hobby because I didnt enjoy Thor: The Dark World and cant stand Jo Whiley.
In reply to ActionSte:

The last slide included the phrase 'Sample size too small to be representative'
Phew - so thats why I don't agree with it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...