UKC

Nesscliffe Climbing Conditions & Ethics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ashtond6 19 Nov 2014

Anyone know what Nesscliffe is like over winter? Is there an accepted time to wait after rain?
Is it bad practise to climb on the soft sandstone?
Also cleaning - nylon brush okay?

Got a few projects there I want to tick & don't want to wait until May!

Nesscliffe
Post edited at 10:41
 Fiend 19 Nov 2014
In reply to ashtond6:
> Anyone know what Nesscliffe is like over winter?
Gets enough sun once the leaves are down but will still need a good breeze etc.

> Is there an accepted time to wait after rain?
A couple of good dry days at least.

> Is it bad practise to climb on the soft sandstone?
Yes, absolutely terrible. Very easily damaged.

> Also cleaning - nylon brush okay?
Yes but only use it very gently to flick any surface dust / tree debris off.

> Got a few projects there I want to tick & don't want to wait until May!
Why not? You're young, the routes aren't going anywhere. They can be in good nick earlier than May too, so try in the spring to give the routes and yourself a better chance.

On the subject of which, and ethics, don't waste the routes by headpointing them, many could be suitable for a flash - a much better challenge than merely ticking the boxes - after your partner has cleaned them.
Post edited at 11:05
 james.slater 19 Nov 2014
In reply to ashtond6:

It can be green dirty and damp over the winter because of the trees, but if you find it clean and dry then dont see why you cant climb on it. Like all sandstone it can be potentially weaker after rain so maybe give it a few dry days. There are some routes there which are good for onsighting, but in general (especially where protected by pegs etc) I would definitely headpoint them at least! Me and my partner have had a few pegs come out on us now, and you really wouldnt want that if you fell off on an onsight attempt!

Personally I tend to get some top rope practise in during the wet and cold months and wait for the leading in the spring and summer. Some of the best lines ive ever climbed there, good luck!
 Andy Hemsted 19 Nov 2014
In reply to ashtond6:

There's going to be a good orienteering event there on Sunday morning. Info on WRE Orienteering website. Why not have a good run, and then some bouldering afterwards?
OP ashtond6 20 Nov 2014
In reply to james.slater:

Thanks James, that was my plan! Lots of TR this winter on stuff that's way too hard for me, then go for it during a dry spell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...