UKC

Which dog?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Robertson 19 Nov 2014
Thinking of getting a dog for the first time.
I would like to choose one which would get on well running with me. Most days I do about 10k in the hills around my home in Gloucestershire.

Any recommended breeds, or ones to avoid?
Any other tips?
In reply to Paul Robertson:

Go get one from the pound. Rescue dogs are best, rescue a greyhound or a lurcher
 toad 19 Nov 2014

whatever you get you'll need a young adult dog. No dog will be able to do those distances until it's around 18months/2 years without risking health probs in later life. Similarly (but see below) it'll not be able to do that distance in later life. Then there's the chance that it might not like running. Personalities vary enormously - you wind up with a dog that wants to go home after 5k. Do you get rid 'cos it doesn't fit the profile? And depending on breed/animal "later life" might mean 6!

I think what I'm saying is get a dog because you want a dog, rather than a dog for a purpose. You'll probably do fine with a collie -that's what everyone else here will recommend, anyway!

A few people at work do cani-x - cross country running with dogs

http://www.canix.co.uk/whatis.shtml
 yorkshireman 19 Nov 2014
In reply to toad:

> You'll probably do fine with a collie -that's what everyone else here will recommend, anyway!

Indeed, they're the Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi estate of UKC dog owners

That said, I've got one and he loves running with me . I average between 50-90km a week but don't take him on some of the longer runs as I'm conscious not to overdo it, but he's more than happy going for a 10-15km run around the trails each day.

Good advice about not running to early with a pup - we rescued our collie and he was a year old and not very active (lived in a flat with an elderly owner before he died) so we eased him in gently. He's now super fit and in brilliant condition.

As a breed they take a lot of dedication and attention, but are very rewarding. They get bored easily though so if its going to be left alone all day it might not be the best idea.
 planetmarshall 19 Nov 2014

A few things I've learned.

Greyhounds and Whippets are phenomenal runners - but they enjoy running short distances ( being natural sprinters) and they do so far faster than a human being could accompany. They are also easily distracted.

Very large dogs ( think Bernese mountain dog ) tend to be plodders, they will keep going forever but only at a walking pace.

Huskies will run to the ends of the earth, but being not that far removed from their wolf forebears must be harnessed at all times as they will hunt and take down anything that moves.

I would probably get a labrador, retriever or collie of some description. Whatever you get, try to get a rescue as there are far too many dogs going without homes.
In reply to toad:

Thanks toad and others. Some good advice here.

We do want a dog anyway, and I will go out running with or without the dog anyway, but it would be nice to be able to exercise myself and the dog at the same time.

I like the look of lurchers and collies.
ceri 19 Nov 2014

I've had a whippet x staffy who ran up to 15 miles until she was 15. Now we have a jack Russell x beagle who loves to run (up to 12 miles age 1). On the other hand our jack Russell cross has never enjoyed running, he's too keen on stopping and sniffing
 robal 19 Nov 2014

I have a sprocker (cocker springer mix) spaniel, she's borderline insane when playing but eminently trainable and a great companion. also excellent at running 12+ miles 3 times a week, although for the first year you can only really expect them to do 5mins exercise/walk per day per month, so 10 months old, 50 mins/day....
 Tall Clare 19 Nov 2014

We have a German shorthaired pointer who loves to run - she's been known to do a 20 mile run with my husband, then come back and want some ball-throwing... If you're interested in them as a breed, there are lots from Cyprus in need of homes, and a very active GSP rescue organisation here in the UK. They're great dogs with big personalities.

I'd go with what Toad says, though - there are loads of times when your dog won't (or can't) run, and ownership (or co-habiting as seems to be the case...) has to take that into account.
wyeclimber 19 Nov 2014
In reply to planetmarshall:

hey paul,

forget the husky route, as you know we have er.... quite a few haha. you cant off lead them with out them bogging off and killing every furry thing in sight.

but... how about a trail hound! will run all day, very trainable and trail hound rescue always has some cracking dogs looking for new homes. plus you can use for bikejor, skijor, canicross, pulling you up hills and down dales, and you can even get some funky working harnesses and down jackets for the cold days haha.

good luck ! I can put you in touch if you need with the local glos rescue co ordinator

My German Shepherd Dog loves to run (up to 13 miles) and is also happy to be left for long periods when at work etc without problems. The big drawback for me is the moulting!
In reply to Tall Clare:

I concur with everything TC has said. GSPs make great running dogs (as well as being great in every other department). Mine will be with me all day tomorrow beating, then saturday will join me for a 10miles run cross country. He loves it...he would actually rather cover more ground than having to slow down to run with me. Basically, they are always up for whatever you can throw at them...and a more handsome dog does not exist imo.
 Tig44 19 Nov 2014

Couldn't have had a better running partner than my lurcher Sally. She's a collie whippet cross and has kept me company whilst training for a multitude of halfs and a few marathons . She's 11 yrs old now though and I'm having to consider a new dog myself.
 marsbar 19 Nov 2014

Collie cross may be less bonkers/neurotic than a pure collie. Rescues are a good place to look.
 Uluru 19 Nov 2014

I had a collie cross as well. She was a rescue and was fantastic for running with in the hills, with the added bonus of being scared of sheep so I didn't have to worry about her chasing them.

10-12km seemed to suit her and meant that she was very calm and easy to deal with when in the house.
 Ridge 19 Nov 2014
In reply to wyeclimber:

Trail hound? All the ones I know are obstinate, untrainable and just bugger off when they feel like it

Collies also strike me as being a bit neurotic and a handful. (Plus that Jasper character wasn't much cop at nav).

I'm a Lurcher owner, and my Brindle German Bullhound, (yours for £500 if you like buying mongrels with made up names, free from a rescue if not..), can run for hours if he feels like it. Unfortunately, being a hound, he can also stick his head out the door, stare balefully at the inclement weather and decide the sofa is the better option. A lot depends on the cross.

TBH any healthy, happy mongrel from a rescue centre would probably as good as anything.
 adamholden 19 Nov 2014

I had a quick look through the above comments and only saw one recommendations for a spaniel, we have a English Springer and he is awesome on a run, he puts me to shame. We didnt get a rescue dog (we had a baby on the way and wanted to have a puppy so we could train him from scratch). He ran Snowdon with me last yearand after was still trotting around the car park. That being said he is extremely passive in the house and not at all mad- contrary to poular belief.
 Neil Pratt 19 Nov 2014

Collies are great - endless amounts of energy, smart with a massive work ethic. Those are great strengths for a working/hill dog, but can be massive drawbacks if people don't exercise their brains as well as their bodies. If you get a collie, you need to factor in 'games' time as well as 'walk' time - we have two collies and with the more intelligent one in particular, we can spot straight away if we've been slack with the mental exercise because she gets cranky and ill-mannered. Keep on top of it and she's a joy to have around.
andymac 19 Nov 2014

I would say collie ,but I am biased.

Banned User 77 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Neil Pratt:

collies are great but a normal one is abnormal.

My parents phoned me last week, my old collie they have back in the UK was limping..

I told them wait until the morning.. next day she was limping on the other leg..

I took her to the vets years ago, she was very lame on one leg, the vet laughed and said your dog's faking it, collies do, they hurt themselves like a kid does, get attention, then put 2 and 2 together, so carry it on. She now exaggerates injuries.

My parents have my 10-11 year old collie, a 16 year old terrier thing and a world class (supposedly) retired 8 year grey hound (made 3 races and was shit). Only mine still walks every day, the grey hound is the laziest of the 3 by a long way though. But she's happy to be left curled up on the couch.

I'd go rescue, what ever you like, most active proper dogs, especially mongrels, will do 8-15 miles on trails no issue. Those that won't will be happy curled up at home. I have 2 cats now, never come out, but its still fine.Just two brothers in the local rescue. I'll probably get a pit cross next as due to dog fighting they fill the rescue centres.
 StuDoig 20 Nov 2014

+1 for German Shorthair Pointer. Ours is great for a run / day on the hill, I do a couple of 10ks and a few 6/7kms with her most weeks and have never yet seen her knackered. Normally she's harassing us to play tug or fetch within minutes of getting in the door.

Another plus, is that they have what I think of as hound lazyness - though they'll go all day on the hill and run pretty much forever, they are equally happy to sleep and lounge about if for some reason you can't get them out for a run (family emergency etc) - at least for a day or so. This effect is doubled by a woodburning stove it would appear. Cushions and stuffed toys however should beware, they are the natural enemy of the GSP and must be killed. Also be wary of their cunning and dexterity, ours can open inward opening doors (even with knobs rather than handles), is a dab hand at opening ovens and fridges and has so far overpowered or outsmarted 2 child locks on the fridge. They also have hilarious "guilty" faces when caught.

Only thing ours struggles with is being out in crap weather in winter high up (being short haired and having zero bulk they feel the cold).

Awesome dogs.

Cheers,

Stuart

Removed User 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Paul Robertson: It's got be a lurcher, they will lie around all day if nothing is going on very trainable but
ask them to run and off they go,This guy breeds the best I have one of his my son has two and we have no trouble with any of them www.hancocklurchers.co.uk/

ARK 20 Nov 2014

My springers happily chase me on my mountain bike or the mrs when she fell runs.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/hqdm8ZBvpVC6rEdDsH7iotMTjNZETYmyPJy0l...

They will climb mountains for days on end, make great wild camping companions and will scramble summer and winter with ease.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8ug4BaoXlsRFaAGI2wC0AdMTjNZETYmyPJy0l...

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/b-KPIe5Q1bblBmuoZ8rt89MTjNZETYmyPJy0l...

Collies would be just as good but I am bias towards springers.

Best thing to do is to train them from the day you get them to ignore sheep and birds and get a recall (with a whistle) spot on. Then you can ignore them all day and not worry that they will get themselves lost/shot.

I also teach stop and guiding hand signals which is really useful on steep scrambles to keep them on the correct line as they can be over confident and get themselves in a pickle.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ZzjZmoCDLP60D0kN0usonNMTjNZETYmyPJy0l...

Andy K.
 Simon Rackley 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Punter S Thompson:

i agree I've rescued 4 lurchers now, brilliant temperament but they do like to chase.
 StuDoig 20 Nov 2014

I've also had labs in the past, but they weren't the best dogs for running - fine for a long days walking and great family / companions but never had much joy with them running. Comparatively our GSP moves at a steady running pace much more naturally.

Stu
 toad 20 Nov 2014
In reply to StuDoig:

yep, labs weren't bred for constant activity - they hang around and wait for birds to drop out of the sky, whereas the likes of spaniels have to run around all day flushing birds. Labs are good, steady dogs and will go all day at the right pace, but they aren't natural runners (a lot like me!)
Timarzi 20 Nov 2014

Bear in mind whatever breed, you might get an idiot that wants to run between your legs, stop just in front of you etc. Perhaps this is trainable, mind. I haven't been able to convince any of our current three that they want to fetch anything, and between them they encompass various mixes of spaniel/collie/mongrel. Our best dog was something like a collie/German shepherd, she was very clever and eager to please; once she'd got past her chewing people phase.

I met a springer the other day that seemed nice.

On the other hand, our cat rarely needs walking and is happy to stay at home while I'm out.
 Tall Clare 20 Nov 2014
In reply to StuDoig:

I took Lotta for a run today and ended up having to drag her along as she discovered a penchant for sugar beet... My husband had already taken her out for a proper run this morning though. She's now informing me that we need to go for her afternoon walk round the woods.

Only thing I'd say about a GSP is that they can have big separation anxiety issues so they're not a good choice if you're likely to be out of the house a lot - but then, what dog is?
sbrt 21 Nov 2014

Here is my personal trainer Billy Bob Dog http://sbrtrfr.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/black-rocks-white-over.html
A recycled Staffy x.
Removed User 21 Nov 2014
In reply to all the doggers:

This is a repeat but if you haven't seen it it's essential for all dog lovers. Brilliant doc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pssgh/horizon-20092010-8-the-secret...

ActionSte 23 Nov 2014

I'd say go to say go to some rehousing centres and see what there is. Spend some time with some of the dogs, take them for walks/short runs and see what fits.
I wound up with a Doberman. Lovely natured dog, very clever, trainable, goes for runs (not in the morning though, she's pretty lazy in the a.m.) tons of personality, pretty chill at crags as long as there's no sheep and she has something to chew.
I wouldn't recommend getting a dog with a specific breed in mind, but keep one or two tick boxes and see what's on offer and always go with a rehoming/rescue centre.
 goldmember 23 Nov 2014

May i suggest a Dalmatian, Very fit, clever and easy to train will run all day.
Great family pets too
 George Ormerod 24 Nov 2014

Of course everyone is saying what their own dog is. Ours is a husky and whilst you have to be careful where you let her off the lead, it doesn't matter as you just stay attached to her when you're running and she's like furry EPO. Though going down hill can be interesting.
 Tall Clare 24 Nov 2014
In reply to George Ormerod:

In fairness, if there were awards for Best Dog Ever, yours would definitely be nominated.
 sdawson1 24 Nov 2014

Sprockers all the way ! Good climbers too ! Done Tryfan / Bristley Ridge / Nantlle Ridge / Cnicht / Crib Goch / Y Gribin / Rhinog Fawr etc etc etc
 BazVee 24 Nov 2014
A mate of mine runs with his two english springers, he's a nut job endurance runner so they get plenty of training. Our welsh springer runs with my wife but she only does shorter runs and its a nut job dog so she runs with a dog running harness (one for her and one for the dog). Me I just can't run, but she (the dog not the wife) has scrambled with me, need a proper harness though.

great photos by Andy's K of his two ESS up in the hills in winter
Post edited at 22:34
 JimR 24 Nov 2014

Hi Paul,I can definitely recommend a springer spaniel We've got two now and they'd run all day if they got the chance. I take them out on the bike now, I cover about 10 miles and they cover about 3 times that distance
 ARK 25 Nov 2014
In reply to BazVee:

Thanks BazVee

My older dog is approaching 10 and has done hundreds of mountains all over the UK with me since we got him from the rescue centre. Nothing makes him happier (apart from a fat belly sleeping by the home or pub fire).

We are trying to get him to complete the Wainwrights before he gets too old...
https://plus.google.com/photos/108556019269775273861/albums/603777957513933...

He still loves running about and is always at the summits before us. The young whippersnapper (only 2yrs) is always even further ahead.
We will keep going as long as he still loves it.

We thought about a collie but love springers more as they have an off switch, so long as they are mentally stimulated (gundog games work best for this) they will happily have a week of mountains or a week of sleep.

Andy K
 BazVee 25 Nov 2014
In reply to AndyKeen:

Bit off topic but where did you get your dog coats from and how often do you use them? My Springer is two in January and about time I got her up some hills but don't want her too freeze
 ARK 25 Nov 2014
In reply to BazVee:

http://www.srcunningham.co.uk/227/products/dog_jacket_red.aspx

They are like a tough pile pertex Buffalo so lovely and warm.
My normal sized springer wears a medium, the small one the...small.

Put them on when there is chance of them getting cold. Like humans, once cold, its really hard for them to warm up. Zack has worn his in -40 windchill and been happy enough.

I put some stitches behind the buckle when sized so it doesn't come undone.

Generous and regular doses of Vaseline on paws is the best thing in snow. Stops balling up and eventual bleeding.

Andy K.

John Ww 25 Nov 2014

Only one choice now - Arthur!!

JW
 sdawson1 26 Nov 2014
In reply to BazVee:

she wont freeze as long as you keep them active and dont have 1/2 hour lunch stops
 sensibleken 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Punter S Thompson:
10k a day would kill a greyhound, its far too much exercise. A lurcher would be better but the problem with them could be prey drive. A lot of them will just bugger off if they see something worth chasing and that can end up in big trouble if its live stock or near a road. I would still recommend a more high endurance breed like a border collie.

Everybody else should get a greyhound though
Post edited at 17:30
ice guru 26 Nov 2014

I've got two border collies, and I teach mountaineering day in day out. They are very loyal, very clever, and could outrun even the fastest fell runner. Perfect running / mountain dogs. get one as a puppy is my advice, then you can train him from scratch. I've also got them both harnesses, and they can easily solo diff climbs, and grade II ice!!

Let me know how you get on
ice guru 26 Nov 2014
Oh, my mate has got a springer....not as fast as my collies, but just as clever, but they are useless at climbing, and have no concept of danger on steep ground or on ridges....

Tall Clare 26 Nov 2014
In reply to ice guru:

A friend has a springer that does all you say they can't do. It all comes down to anecdotal evidence in the end, it seems.

OP, just my personal take on it but if you have (or are considering having) little ones I wouldn't get a collie.
 Ridge 26 Nov 2014
In reply to sensibleken:

> 10k a day would kill a greyhound, its far too much exercise. A lurcher would be better but the problem with them could be prey drive. A lot of them will just bugger off if they see something worth chasing and that can end up in big trouble if its live stock or near a road. I would still recommend a more high endurance breed like a border collie.

> Everybody else should get a greyhound though

Agree about the greyhound. Lurchers are funny things though. The prey drive can be an issue, but you learn to spot the signs when they're winding up. Oddly, mine isn't that bothered about the chase when we're out for a run, the fact he's trotting along seems to calm him down. I was out for a run with my mates and a total of 3 collies, and the Lurcher was the best behaved of the lot. He was a lot more confident on the scrambley bits, which surprised me. A lot depends on the cross with lurchers.
 Cardi 27 Nov 2014

Previous housemate had a Hungarian Wizsla. Very clever, affectionate but also able to keep up with him running or mountain biking, and could even swim pretty well. The ultimate triathlon training companion!
 randomsabreur 27 Nov 2014

Lab of working type. Ours is leggy, can run all day and is faster than a mountain bike - clocked at 30 mph by GPS for a mile... Scrambles well too but lacks fear. Swimming is ridiculous, could catch a fast swimmer at 12 weeks- big webbed paws helps.

Did have to be taught not to get between legs and watch out for sticks
In reply to All:

We are now proud owners of a 9-week old black and white Springer called Hamish. He seems happy lolloping around in our garden. Looking forward to getting him out and about when he's had all his jabs.

Thanks for all the advice
 marsbar 02 Jan 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:

I know mine is a cross breed, but he is great with children including babies.

pwo 02 Jan 2015

Labradors are the morris minors of the dog world. Smiley, loyal, bright but damn slow and will happily plod all day in mud and rain. Wouldn't even dream of running with him cause of joint problems in later life. Collies are extremely bright and will run all day with you and when you get back from a long day out they'll be waiting for you to take them out back out again! lurchers and greyhounds are homicidal maniacs which'll run anything small and furry down (including lambs). Springers are brill but scatty (my brother inlaw's would happily sit in his rucksac whilst we did multi pitch routes all day) and agree with above comments on their ability to self risk assess (my father's launched himself off a cliff chasing a ball). Good luck choosing plenty out there and check out the rescue centres.
 Sean Kelly 02 Jan 2015

Brilliant dogs. I've had them for the last 20 years, but watch out when they get to the chewing stage (6mts?). Mine went through my car seat belts twice in about 10 minutes! Keep in a cage when travelling until they are past chewing.
 Wee Davie 02 Jan 2015

We've got a German Short Haired Pointer called Brodie. The GSP was the wife's choice. He's now 2.75 years old and runs with me 80% of the time. He's done 500 odd miles in the last year. I didn't run him until he was over 18 months (growth plates etc- google it). He's a good lad and loves running- typically 10k's with me. He's also great with our wee boy who is now 11 months old. I'd recommend the breed but they are £750 odd new which seems rather steep (I grew up with rescue dogs).
 Kassius 02 Jan 2015

Husky's will run all day every day and still want more. They literally love to work however they are not very loyal so need to remain on a leash otherwise there maybe a video of you chasing him while he chases deers and you shout "BENSON"

In 'proud' (inadvertent?) ownership of a lab/ springer x, (2 1/2 yrs old) courtesy of our stepdaughter.
Live south west side of Sheffield so Eastern Edges are our playground, Pops loves nothing more than bounding round the moors and reservoirs whether we're climbing or walking. Strangely, not too loopy, so safe at the crag, but no road sense, so good on grit, but not too good around lower Stoney.
Super friendly and eminently biddable with balls and preferably sticks, thankfully she is not interested too much in other dogs, food or sheep, think we struck lucky with her.
Although she gets skittish around strange objects, e.g. wheelbarrows, overfull skips, Kabuta diggers, old biddies in The Grouse at Froggatt etc etc
( we estimate her conversion rate on days out is, us 1 mile, her 3 miles +.)
Wouldn't like to give her back!!!
 Billhook 03 Jan 2015

It doesn't matter what dog you get now.

If it doesn't suit your purposes or find its a fag because it interferes with climbing or going away somewhere you can just give it to some animal charity to rehouse or have put down.

Like loads and loads of other people who think a dog is just for xmas, running, biking, walking etc., etc.,

And I have a dog - now 13 years old. Until six years ago she could easily keep up with me if she wanted (she prefers to do stuff like sniff and smell things). She can't now.
So I don't do much running. She looks longingly as I put my running kit on. So we just go for long walks which she is still mad for. I guess within a couple of years she won;t want to go for longer walks either. But she;'s going to die within the next couple of years anyway I guess. I've lost count of the number of things I could have done if I'd not wanted a dog without ever, ever understanding how committing having a dog is in the first place.

I've known her from when she was a little pup. I wouldn't ever get another dog - its more committing than being in a life long relationship. I'll be broken hearted when she dies. I assume you wouldn't 'get a wife' 'cos you need a running partner would you?

http://davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/jilly-dog.html
 JayPee630 03 Jan 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

That's really lovely, thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...