UKC

Singing Rock - Bandit Ice Axe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Davey_HB 19 Nov 2014
Morning all. Took delivery yesterday of a pair of Bandit Ice Axes by Singing Rock (see picture here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=895C228C0C3DD096!6269&authkey=!AF... £157 delivered to NI from Total Access. Anyone know anything about these?

I have read the other posts already on this company but looking for new (constructive) comments.

Am going to call in with them to local outdoor shops (Cotswold and Jackson Sports in Belfast) to get their opinion as well. Will post their thoughts here once I have them.
 StevenF 19 Nov 2014
In reply to Davey_HB:

I've seen them on eBay and they are very cheap in comparison to similar axes, I'm interested to see if anyone has any experience using them.
OP Davey_HB 20 Nov 2014
In reply to StevenF:

Yup. Me too. I have a winter trip booked to Chamonix/Cogne next Feb so looking to see if these will do my job there.
 BStar 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Davey_HB:

I had mine delivered on Tuesday. I plan to use them in Scotland and Wales this winter so I wont get chance to use them until Feb time. Total Acessories were out of stock of them for a while and they have only just come back in stock, apparently they are quite popular this year according to one of their members of staff. I'm not sure how easy it will be to get replacement parts for them but for the price you can't really complain.

These will be my first technical axes so I won't be able to compare them to much but happy to review them when the cold stuff comes.
 ianstevens 20 Nov 2014
In reply to BStar:

> I had mine delivered on Tuesday. I plan to use them in Wales this winter so I wont get chance to use them until hell freezes over.

Fixed that for you*.

*Please note that I'm being faceous and am fully aware that Wales sometimes comes into condition.
 BStar 20 Nov 2014
In reply to ianstevens:

It's going to be the coldest winter on record this year, have you not read the Daily Mail?
 berna 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Davey_HB:

they look A LOT like my vipers (for half the price thinks he regretfully)
 petegunn 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Davey_HB:

A friend used a pair, albeit at an indoor ice wall, but he gave them the thumbs up and is going to buy a pair. They are a bit heavier than some but not overly so.
They are cheap but funnily they seem to be quite expensive in Germany!?
OP Davey_HB 25 Nov 2014
In reply to Davey_HB:

OK. Emailed the BMC, spoke to my 2 local outdoor shops (Cotswold and Jackson sports) - From each, I had a response/conversation from people who ice climb and all said 'yeah, for that price, go for it'. No one said, nope, don't do it.

They carry all the expected safety marks and the company themselves acc to BMC are a well established manufacturer from Eastern Europe.

Now - Role on February till I get to use them

PS: Good to hear that other people have taken the plunge and ordered a pair of these.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...