UKC

Redundancy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 19 Nov 2014
With current employer nearly 9 years (full time). Looks like my job role is being wound up (just promoted into it February!). Anyone know the legal requirements on an employer in giving an employee formal redundancy notice? This is not a large redundancy undertaking so all the guidance on the web about collective consultations etc doesn't seem to apply: its just me and another colleague.

Thanks for any advice.
 ByEek 19 Nov 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Can't help on the legals but try to see this as an opportunity. Start making decisions about your immediate future now rather than waiting for the decisions outside of your control to have their impact on you. I have just discovered that my current contract probably won't be extended. At first it was rather unsettling but I taken some decisions and have a plan so things are positive again. Good luck!
 Bob 19 Nov 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

It will be in your contract - at a minimum it will be a month's notice or pay in lieu but usually from that point it's a week's notice/pay for each full year served up to a maximum of around 24 weeks (might be a bit more). Depending on the sensitivity of your work you may be told to take the pay in lieu so that you aren't privvy to contract negotiations that you might be able to take to a competitor.
 JJL 19 Nov 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/notice-periods

As it is few (two) people, no formal consultation period is mandated - just that they should consult.

Min paid notice of termination is 9 weeks for you.

See sections 4 and 5 in link above.
OP Flinticus 19 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

I know what you are saying though its difficult: the role I am in now I just got in February and was a position I had really wanted to get. For ages it was a head office function only, then that restriction was removed: I applied and got it. It's not a job type that appears often in Glasgow, or, indeed, Scotland!
OP Flinticus 19 Nov 2014
Hi All. Thanks for the replies but I am looking for specific info on how such notice must be given, i.e. in writing etc. I'm aware of both the statutory notice period and the redundancy pay.
 Bob 19 Nov 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

It must be in writing, it's a termination of contract.
 kingborris 19 Nov 2014
In reply to Flinticus:
It just the statutory minimum notice period (unless you have something different specified in your contract). They could tell you tomorrow that you are being made redundant, and that your last days employment will be in 9 weeks. They may or may not require you to work those weeks.
Post edited at 17:08
OP Flinticus 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Thanks. Nothing definitive in writing yet received and at least three different dates circulating as to whem my current job role comes to a close, one of those dates being last Monday!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...