UKC

There's a bug going around

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 20 Nov 2014
It's a virus, that's what they tell you. My 5yr old son was taken to hospital on Sunday morning, breathing problems. Nebuliser O2 etc. Got home on Tuesday afternoon. Still under the weather and has portable inhaler. Waiting worriedly. Everywhere I go I get told there's a bug, even at the hospital. Is the 'bug going around' thing just standard bollocks?
 Jon Read 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

Sorry to hear about your son, I hope he's feeling better.

This period is one of the peak times for many respiratory viruses to be circulating in the UK. It could have been any number of viruses (RSV, influenza A, influenza B though that tends to be later for some reason, para-influenza, human metapneumovirus, picornavirus) that increase in abundance during the winter. Unless a specific lab test (not cheap nor routine) was done you wouldn't really be able to distinguish between them, not even by symptoms really.
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

Aye well, that's what happens
Removed User 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:
Sounds like bronchitis. Which there is a vaccine for but is only offered to ex perm infants and those with chest issues. Often it's about treatments the symptoms rather than the cause. However children being children they solder on bravely until some of them become exhausted and need respitory support. Samples of mucous taken from the back of the nose can confirm the cause but often the treatment is the same.
Back in the day the treatment used to be pretty grim. Sit the poor beggers on a upright chair in an oxygen tent with humidified medical gases circulating in it. Very distressing for all concerned.

Hope the boy's feeling better soon.
 butteredfrog 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

My 7yr old is suffering too, seems to be fighting it off this year though.
Removed User 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:
Sorry meant Bronchiolitis, pesky predictive text on iPad
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> Sorry meant Bronchiolitis,

Interesting I hadn't heard of that. Wasn't mentioned in the hospital

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...