UKC

Annual Tax Summary

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cas smerdon 20 Nov 2014
Anyone else annoyed at receiving an Annual Tax Summary through the post? This is individualised and printed in colour. How much has it cost to produce these statements and post them out to everyone on PAYE?

The general percentages could just be available online if anyone is interested. It only tells half the story anyway. No mention of how they spend VAT, Council Tax, Road Tax etc.

I am only slightly appeased that I have been able to cancel any future paper copies. Rather than working out and printing all these forms I would prefer that money to have gone to the health service. It is pointless information anyway as you can't choose where your taxes go. I see it as advertising by the government ahead of the election to show how well they believe they are spending my money!
 Mark Kemball 20 Nov 2014
In reply to cas smerdon:

Agreed!
 MG 20 Nov 2014
In reply to cas smerdon:
It's also all available on a (really quite good) HMRC smart phone app so there is really no need to post it.
Post edited at 09:48
 Coel Hellier 20 Nov 2014
In reply to cas smerdon:

No, actually, I think this is a good idea. If the government takes large amounts of your income from you in tax, it's appropriate for it to let you know what it does with it. Having an informed electorate can only be good, and this presents such information in a clear and personally relevant way.

> ... I would prefer that money to have gone to the health service.

The cost of it would keep the NHS going for 22 minutes, so it's really not that significant. Do you really object to the government printing out an account and posting it to you, or is there a political motive for you not wanting the electorate to get this?

> I see it as advertising by the government ahead of the election to show how well they believe they are spending my money!

I think the government think that you'll be horrified about the amount going to various places.
paulcarey 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Coel Hellier:
Yeah thats fine, but a more detailed break down of what is where spent would be better.
Post edited at 22:25
 aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to cas smerdon:

Is this the blue plastic envelope I haven't opened yet?
In reply to cas smerdon:

The bit that really surprised me was that 25% of my tax payments - the biggest single item on the graph - is being spent on 'Welfare'...
 hamsforlegs 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Stewart_DarkSide:

Indeed - pensions are a major drain on public finance.
 climbwhenready 21 Nov 2014
In reply to hamsforlegs:

I think it's 25% for welfare. Pensions are a separate thing, about 12% I think.
 tony 21 Nov 2014
In reply to climbwhenready:
> I think it's 25% for welfare. Pensions are a separate thing, about 12% I think.

The welfare bit covers all sorts of things, including public sector pensions (such as armed forces, police, civil servants, and so on). Public sector pensions account for about half the welfare bill. You can see a more complete breakdown of what is covered by pensions here:
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jan/08/uk-benefit-welfare-spe...
Post edited at 10:53
 MG 21 Nov 2014

It's the posting it out that seems wasteful to me. There is a perfectly good app available already and probably a website that gives all this information. These also allow you to personalise it to your circumstances quite finely. These will cost less that £50m spent on letters.
 climbwhenready 21 Nov 2014
In reply to tony:

That's interesting. I've just looked at PESA 2014 - removing pensions leaves welfare at 20.5% (instead of 25%).
 Ffion Blethyn 21 Nov 2014
In reply to climbwhenready:

> I think it's 25% for welfare. Pensions are a separate thing, about 12% I think.

It's part of the "buying votes by demonising those on benefits" election strategy.
 Coel Hellier 21 Nov 2014
In reply to MG:

> These will cost less that £50m spent on letters.

The cost is more like £5m than 50 (according to the papers).
 MG 21 Nov 2014

There are, what, 30m taxpayers? One second class stamp each would be over £15m, and that's before envelopes, paper, printing, staff costs etc.
 Coel Hellier 21 Nov 2014
In reply to MG:

> One second class stamp each would be over £15m, ...

You get huge discounts for bulk mail, and this one would indeed be "bulk". Papers such as the Guardian, no friend of the government, are quoting a £5m figure, so I'm willing to believe it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...